I just want to know if Match Making is based on

I’m here because the time passed by and Match Making is still THE BAD PART OF THIS GAME…

I repeat: a reason for have an MM is to find balanced games… and what i find is rubbish unbalanced game… (arcade too, Deathmatch with Master/Grand Master) where u are crushed or just crush others… maybe 1 over 5 are balanced… (but not in this season, i lose 200 rating in a row, i’m never go boosted, so why i go to 2575 and than losing all the time and go under 2300? How can is possibile losing 200 or more rating, for losing every possibile match? Where is “balance” in this?) this is my experience in over 700 hour… and is just a torture!

And recently, after this Season 12 experience and this 4vs4 ranked… i try to find a reason… what i think, aside think MM is big fail, is what i write… MM try to balance out the hidden rating and for consequence, i found bad team mates, they are normally not good as me. In my rating, at my level, obviously. Often in this ranked 4vs4 in matter of minutes i’m at 8/9 kill of 10 total of my team… when other teams are like 15… what do my team mates in mean time?? They are free frags for the others? After 3 losing matches, i found one good… like if the MM try to help me… but all this MM is based on tricks, bad tricks… and fail.

Ok to you previous question who is under more preassure: 1v1 master against plat.

Its master player for obvious reason, he is 2 ranks above plat so he needs to perform on that level. Imagine him losing against plat. That would be shame for him. For same reason i feel under big preassure when playing with friends who are lower ranked then me. I expect to carry them even if they say its fine. But i feel under preassure every time because if we lose i feel like i failed them, even worse if enemy team had lower ranked people then my main acc and i am on lower alt.

Can you explain to me how exactly you know that your team mates are bad and you are better than them? I am not suprise you cant climb with thinking like this. Its easy to say you had bad team insted of saying to yourself how lost because of your mistakes. Sure you will have unwinnable games but most games you can affect a lot.

Sure you will find games after loss streak more easy, thats because you dropped and you are playing against lower skilled people again.

You are trying to find reasons why you are stuck in rank where there is already known reason you just dont want to accept it. Its you, its simple. You just live in desilution its yours team mates who is bad, when in reality you are same skilled as them most of the time.

Just believe me try, accept this and you can go from that.

And these are eliminations right

Yeah obviosuly it’s 6 v 6. It’s not just me against a masters. Someone on his team could have caused him to lose that fight. Perhaps a healer who died and he had no way to get heals and he had low health. It happens…

But as far as skill go though, you might be close. The reason you’re low tier and the reason he high tier could come down to simply communication. You know, focus firing, shot calling, ult comboing, target prioritazation etc. But as far as mechanical skill, aim and positioning y’all might be close. And the game doesn’t have anyway to know your communication skills so it can’t group based on that.

And the only reason you’re under pressure is because you fear of losing SR. Happens a lot lower tier. If you can remove that fear, you find that it’s no different from quick play honestly.

12 games? I raise you 13 game loss streak…

Don’t think there’s any great matchmaker conspiracy. I think that it just sucks.

At 1700 I was getting teams that never used my barrier and made Leeroy Jenkins look cautious. Then I changed heroes, managed to rejig my Mmr via improved kd ratio, and had an 80% win rate back to 2k. Final game was a 5v6 that we still won as our team so much better than the opposition.

It was like I constantly had donkeys on the way down, and OW gods on the way up. Super streaky for sure.

Matchmaking is based only on MMR. See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 12) → Matchmaking.

The average person you are placed with has the same ability to win games as you do. That is, he is just as good as you. If your aim is indeed master level, then there are some other weaknesses in your play (such as game sense, attitude, ult economy, etc…). Without seeing your profile and a VOD of a narrow loss of yours, I can’t speculate with any degree of accuracy.

I’m Italian and here in Europe we have a BIG handicap because we all spoke different language (and English is not one of this, u know, UK is out, and one thing is understand written english, another is to speak it). But, what i wonder is: 80% of the matches i won is like to play with ““pro’s”” …all speak, all decide… The rest of the matches seem like to play with bronze player… no one know what to pick, what counter what, they go solo to die, scatter all around, ignore the basic of this game (when all here is about composition!) plus, u can add leavers / trolls / throwers / smurf / delusional or toxic player and last but not least: friends that lend their account to his master friends (i think this is discrete phenomenon - this happen since the first years of World of Warcraft) for just fun / boost rank (but ruin others fun and rank… worst than smurfing). So is all about frustration… as i write, a little percentage of the matches seem “balanced”, the others are 70% crushing and than, u have this “pro” matches that u wonder from where they jumped out… the difference is so BIG and i don’t know why this happen… but for sure is all about this failed MM…

I never see a platinum range so trashy like today… but this can be ok, if i don’t be like 90% of the time in the bad team, so bad that made me desperate… because is never about losing, is about HOW u losing, and then, how much u losing…

When u arrive in solo at certain rating, and then u lose every match after that… u wonder WHY this happen… because u are not boosted before, and now why u find only retarded/bad players on your side? This in only about Match Making and it’s design…

Then another thing that amazed me is how is possibile that nearly all the time u need to wait 2-3 min before found a match, and sometimes ten seconds…? (ranked)

They need to rethink/redesign MM on paper, what i want to hear that is every 2/3 patches they write that try to rebalance MM… because yeah, this game is complex so MM is more difficult respect an Arena like game… but is the most important feature of this type of game… i want fun, i can up stand some frustration, but not like this recent months…

Omg so you didnt get anything i told you before. I hoped i can reason with you, but you are beyond saving really. Well, I tried stay in your rank forever and keep blaming bad teams, games and matchmaker :-/

What u write are not the ‘TRUTH’, is just your opinions (like mine) and i don’t agree / or need your (often trivial) opinions, simply as that. I’m sure Match Making is a tricky, broken / inadeguate stuff, there is nothing u can write to convince me otherwise. And i try to explain WHY i think so.

No, you are wrong, matchmaker works only with sr with exception i explained before.

Oh sure, and u are the MM programmer, yes? And u are here to tell the (only) truth? Right? But u know something about programming? Because your “faith” is ridiculous.

And yet you are the one who is not climbing while many others are. Strange… If i would log into your account I would be high plat in a day and i consider myself as average but ok, keep thinking i am the one who is wrong :slight_smile:

You’re just making stuff up. Read How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 12) and the references (most of which are developer posts) for any point you disagree with, and get back to me.

Ok i will do it there later :slight_smile:

Many? U have data? Why u think many are here (since two years) to blame the MM? Because we are all just loser that don’t want to admit is their fault? What u really read about what i write? What u really understand? U are here to win this? Your EGO need to win this (and based on what?? U can’t see that you have your opinion and i have mine). For me, and “many” others the MM is faulted, u think is perfect. And so? Bravo.

They changed that? Because I remember a post from Jeff where he explained they would be using MMR first and then SR, because people were unhappy that they got grouped with others who were a large amount of SR higher/lower than the SR from the player.

So matchmaking first on MMR, get equally skilled players to gather. And then create a match with the people who’s SR is closest together.

In any case, we don’t see any line of code… MM is not open source, and frankly, i don’t trust developers… u can’t see how the Loot Boxes System function, but we can agree is just not a, hm, “clear” one… so they can write what they want about MM, also that is the best possible, but is ever a simplified a partial version of the truth, u never see nothing about it. So is only about trust and faith, and in this case, when all is about faith, then i decide, empirical, by myself, and i think firmly that MM is not a good one, that is not adeguate for a game like this.

That post you are referencing wasn’t written by Jeff, but some random person on the forums.

People definitely can get grouped with similar MMR and widely varying SR, because that is what happens when someone (such as Seagull → Streamer Data - Google Sheets → Seagull 10) is extremely decayed.

When you read all the developer posts about this issue, things can get confusing and contradictory. See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 12) → “But I just read this post from a developer, and it said matchmaking is baed on SR, not MMR” to see all the references and my interpretation.

As i write, i don’t think they group people with the closest (hidden) skill (rating), but it’s based on an average (exactly like when u found a platinum with a silver friend at gold rank) of this (hidden) skill rating, and for me this is a BAD decision. Aside this, i think how they “calculate” this rating can be faulted too. I think all of this, because i can partially figure out that this MM stuff is a very complex one, i put my faith on this, about complexity i mean, and how much cost in terms of CPU power for better functioning (so, like they save on bandwitch and cpu power by using low tick rates, the same they can do for MM about CPU power). Thjs “average” fault u can see easily when a group of three or more join up your game, often this game are bad for one side or another… ages ago i write about three type of ranking… solo (only solo queue) small team (2+2+2, 3+3, 4+2, no 5+1) and full team (clans) ranks, and as today i think is a better solution than this “average” ratings…

If you don’t believe the developers then there isn’t much we can say, except that you think that you are best player in most of your matches.

We then link Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia, laugh at you, and move on.

1 Like