I just realized there are no Americans in New Overwatch

At the start of WW2 America didn’t care about the war. Poland showed them evidence of mass murdering in Europe, they still didn’t care, only make profits from it. Till they didn’t lost Pear Harbor by Japony, Axis member…

And look what we have here.
Morrison doesn’t care about Overwatch and their war aganist Null Sector and other threats. Winston’s warning doesn’t change his decision.
Talon is Jack’s the only enemy.
Talon and Null Sector cooperation looks like Germany and Russia WW2 scenerio.
So Talon is the ultimate point that will change Jack’s decision about Winston, Overwatch and Null Sector

1 Like

That was the same during the revolutions and freedom fights of Poland and Hungary in 1956 even when the countries got invaded after the freedom fights, but to be fair, no one in the UN cared about them because interfering would have started another war. And Americans joined WW2 because of Japan, not Germany.

I can see McCree being convinced to join, but Soldier will only join if from Talon or Null Sector one betrays the other.

2 Likes

Germany had plans to invade/attack the US, but they never really had time to follow up on them, I think you’re thinking of Japan, who was responsible for the bombing of Pearl Harbor

3 Likes

Maybe other countries should pay for their own military defense.

1 Like

yeah ok why does the US need bases in half the countries it does… it’s just a neutered version of imperialism

5 Likes

I wanted to write Axis but I wrote Germany, I meant Japony, yes.

1 Like

…who is actually IN overwatch right now? I thought McCree was, didn’t they send him on the mission to get Echo? Isn’t Winston American? I mean he was born on the moon, but America as much as a child born to and raised by American parents on a military base would be…right?

Not that it matters, but seeing as how the story has been frozen at the point of recall for three years, I’m not really sure who the members are.

Current members of Overwatch are:

• Winston (from a moon base run by a Chinese company)
  • Tracer (British)
  • Mei (Chinese)
  • Genji (Japanese)
  • Reinhardt (German)
  • Brigitte (Swedish)
  • Mercy (Swiss)
  • Echo (???)

McCree recieved the recall message, but chose to go wake up Echo and send her, saying he had “other business”. Torbjorn has recieved the recall message but declined (the devs mentioned this at Blizzcon).

Why would he be American? Horizon is owned by Lucheng Interstellar, which is a Chinese company, and we don’t know Harold Winston’s nationality.

If anything, Winston should count as Swiss because apparently he paid Swiss taxes.

2 Likes

Why would Winston be American? He:

• Was raised on a Chinese moon base
  • Lives in Gibraltar, part of the British commonwealth
  • Pays taxes to Switzerland
3 Likes

I mean, it’s pretty clear Winston’s “dad” was a US American. In any event, it doesn’t matter, but Winston definitely “reads” as American, he’s “coded” as US American as you might say.

But yes, it is an interesting observation that besides Winston, nobody else on overwatch is “coded” as US American.

Please let’s don’t argue about what “coded” means. I assume it’s a well understood concept here.

Source? I thought he was Chinese or European. Maybe mixed.

1 Like

His manner of speech and accent and language and slang and idiom use are all obviously american.

I mean he’s a fictional space monkey from a future following a robot apocalypse who was born on the moon and spent his life globe trotting and fighting crime, so I’m not gonna argue the exactitudes of citizenship for fictional future space monkeys

But he’s American the same way Han Solo is obviously american in a fictional galaxy, and the same way Darkwing Duck is obviously american in a fictional duck universe. He’s “coded” american.

Is a fictional space monkey born on a chinese lunar base technically a US citizen? I dunno. Maybe he’s not technically a citizen of anywhere, but he is obviously culturally American.

What about Pharah? She also comes off as “coded” American. But she is not American.

You should rely on more than that to say that someone is American or not. We don’t know where Harold Winston is from. Could be America, could be Vancouver, could be Isle of Man, could be Suzhou raised by a white mother. We don’t know.

What if Harold is the Hong Kong character?

OK, jeeeesus this got out of hand.

If I met Winston at a party I would assume he was american based on the way he talks and his expressions and mannerisms and idioms, and I would almost certainly be right, but sure, maybe not, it’s possible.

There, you got me.

I’ll show myself out.

3 Likes

What makes her come off as coded American?

2 Likes

It’s like saying Germanized/Russianed Polish people are Germans/Russians but they are Polish people.
Or saying Torbjorn is American because of Keith Silverstein but he is Swedish.
Better saying Winston and Hammond don’t have nationality at all.

1 Like

Huh this hasn’t become a total mess yet. Look like Overwatch players can hold a civil conversation…

I like to think of him as “lunar” :slight_smile:

Really depends on the political situation around the moon in their universe.

1 Like

In the trailer we at least see that Ashe is working along-side Overwatch in Route 66.

Plus Mccree was at least contacted with the Recall.

In a way, an American greatly assisted Overwatch’s return by freeing Echo in the first place :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That wasn’t the story. That was the all-heroes mode.

1 Like