I hit Masters today AMA

It only took me 3 and a half seasons, I started midway season 6 with no past overwatch experience finishing my first season at 1880 after placing around 2100. Throughout the season I constantly hovered around 1600-1900. I did it mostly solo que (a good 95>%) how ever the times I did group it was mostly in the range of high silver to low gold. they were true golds though, not smurfs or anything.

13 Likes

Why are DPS so garbage at low elo

1 Like

Very well done, congrats!

23 Likes

because people get constantly told that you can only climb when you play dps when thats a complete lie

8 Likes

Should I solo-queue as my best hero or group up?

Facts, dude. Its the YouTubes. I believe damage based heroes work better on lower elo but god.

Does the 3 instalock dps ever stop?

1 Like

I havnt seen much of an impact from grouping vs solo queing reguarding climbing. grouping does somewhat mitigate the rare thrower or bad player(s) but you usually get qued against other groups of the same size with the exact same benefits so its essentially the same.

I’m glad to see honest effort rewarded.

You climbed that high with a current winrate of 51.1%. Was this your average rate throughout your climb, or was it higher at lower tiers?

Right now it looks like your performance is about average for a high diamond/low masters. Was your performance average at whatever rank you were in, improving slowly as you climbed?

Also, did you receive coaching or play with higher-ranked people (outside of comp)?

1 Like

for the most part it was around 52% WR but around 2100 I think I had at least a 55-60% WR, that season alone I got almost 1000 SR

at around gold I was overpreforming but it was decision making that held me down, something that cant directly be collected as a stat. I was aware of pretty much any mistake I made, I just had to focus on not letting the mistake happen again. as you improve in skill so does your SR, even when I was “stuck” at a rank I felt like it was where I belonged and if I thought my current rank was too easy and was outperforming my team then within the week I would climb to the point where it felt normal

I received no coaching what so ever nor did I play with anyone of a significantly higher rank outside of comp. looking up guides and tutorials just isnt my thing everything I learn is usually from trial and error

4 Likes

Have you guys ever considered a “Throwback Season” Arcade mode where you could rotate through old builds for fun? Like, Beta build, Season 2, Season 3, etc? I think that would be lots of fun and interesting for newer players to see how much the game has progressed since Beta.

1 Like

hahaha aa ahga stop
h

Bad idea? It’d be fun to play no drop of full damage fth McCree again, haha.

What is the most you have ever climbed in a season. What do you do when you have throwers?

in season 7 I climbed about 800 SR from around 2000 to 2800

everyone gets them, sometimes they are on your side and sometimes they are on the enemy team. just do your best, reguardless of the circumstances. I personally try to act like it was a normal 5v6, there are many situations even with normal games with no throwers where you are down one from fighting. so the process is essentially the same in how you go about dealing with it.

1 Like

Ahh. Thanks. As a person who is climbing from very low bronze. This gives me hope. I have climbed from 700 sr to almost gold 1960 sr now. Thanks now I know its possible to go from silver to masters

Nice of you to respond to a post from the Overwatch community, Bill!

1 Like

Traditionally, grouping has been seen as having a negative inpact on climbing above diamond. If you get matched against smaller sized groups or even singles, witch will happen fairly often becase few people group at high mmr, you will gain much less SR for wins and lose more for losses, in matches that are still pretty balanced.

I would also not recommend only playing your best hero. One tricking can get you far, especially below diamond with the personal stat rating system, but once you peak as a one trick it will be hard to improve because you will end up playing other heroes at a much lower level.

I highly recommend picking up winston and mercy in addition to whatever else you play, there very strong and fit into most comps very well while being fairly easy to pick up.

Good thing Winston is one of my mains…

:wink:

1 Like

Interest journey, even as Tank Main you achieved Master.
I’m Tank Main, too … but I’m tired to being in a rollercoaster, up and down on long-term.

as tank main i hit gm, it can certainly be done =]