I feel like i should not be at this rank (3K5)

Hey there ! First thing first i would like to apologies for my english, it is not my first language, so i’m pretty sure i will use a lot of “broken english”.

Today i want to talk with you, player of Overwatch. And it’s about my Rank in the game.

You see, after i did my placement match this season i got Master ! Feels great when you know i was a gold dude for a lot of time… The thing is… It feels weird for me te be there in the first place.

Let me explain why i don’t think i should be at this Skill Rating :

A lot of things happen since i starded to play Overwatch. But one thing didn’t change for a long time. I was a Gold player. Don’t get me wrong i don’t see this as “bad” and i’m not shy about it. But for some reason, the game started to skyrocket me to higher rank for no reason at all.

Here are my seasons high + end from S1 to S9 :
-(Old system)-
-Season 1 : 50
-(New system)-
-Season 2 : 2306 Highest point - End at 2039
-Season 3 : 2463 highest point - End at 2463
-Season 4 : 2475 highest point - End at 2341

–At this point i didn’t play the game that much anymore

-Season 5 : 1805 Highest point - End at 1805
-I only did my placement matches, getting to silver while so close to platinium made me pretty much salty so i didn’t continue and dropped the game for a time.

-Season 6 : 2111 highest point - End at 2111
-Got myself back to gold, didn’t play much i wasn’t feeling like it.
-Season 7 : 2640 highest point - End at 2640
-Got placed in platinium and played a little bit more to get a new high career
-Season 8 : 3018 highest point - End at 3000
-Got placed to Diamond but didn’t play for the rest of the season. the 3K is because i didn’t play
-Season 9 : 3500 highest point.
-And now for some reason i got a boost of 500 points and got to Master.

I know a lot of you guys will tell me to play and then i will get to my “true” rank or something, but i’m just too scared to even start a rank game anymore. I feel like i’m not gonna be enough to help my team and just slow them down or even make them lose.

I also don’t understand why i got such a boost in my SR, i was stuck in gold for so much time, some of my friend can’t even get out of silver while i just “ignore” some of the rank because reasons…

Any idea what’s going on ? Did i break the system or something ? Or maybe i didn’t understand i got good enough to be there ? Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

How many hours do you grind per season? I worked out that against the grain - and assuming you can win as many fights as you lose consistently as you move up - that the grind against the hidden MMR is like 40 hours (assuming like a 65% winrate but with 20sr for a win and 30sr for a loss).

Friend, you must be doing God’s work in every match.

After my Season 5 placement i almost didn’t play any games after my placement, maybe 2 or 3 more but that’s it. most of my wins from season 6 to 9 are from placement matches. i don’t think i got more than 15 wins in one season because i just stop to play.

If you landed right on the kisser of 3500 maybe its because of the change over. Lower elos have adjustable SR where higher ones are straight up win/loss. If you’re looking for excuses that’s probably it, but embrace it, don’t knock it, eff knows how many people are carried up there and say nothing. I admire your honesty, but squirm at at how self effacing you are. You can clearly shoot mans and everything aside belong above the wood tiers and plat.

1 Like

Just develop new char in qp then

Why are you talking about developing new heroes ? i’m sorry if it wasn’t clear, i am just asking myself how and why the game would make me make massive jump of 500 pts out of nowhere, i’ve been in platinium for one season and almost didn’t play,

The next season i got something like 400 pts by just doing my placement match ending up in diamond, again i didn’t play the season.

And this season AGAIN i got a big boost of 500 pts and got to master by just doing my placement matches.

I just do not understand why the game gave me a ~500 pts out of nowhere twice.

And i don’t think i have any kind of “crazy” stats.

Placements only players have a large uncertainty in their MMR. Which means that it can move up or down much more in ten games than for a more active player. Which means that if a player gets lucky/unlucky they can get thrown far from their proper rank.

I have more about this here: Season 9 Placements Analysis, High Variance Explained.

Alright, so i guess it’s only because i wasn’t playing enough even if i got placed at every season. I supposed i’m gonna have to try my best to stay where i’m at (i don’t think i’ll do but who know) and take the many loss i risk to face in the future lol.

Thank you for your help !

1 Like