I feel like competitive leaver penalties r too unforgiving?

Leaving is still way too common and every leaver ruins the match for 5 more people.

If you have disconnection issues, just stay away from comp mode. And this is coming from someone who has lost lvl 5 endorsements several times just because of disconnections especially considering how hard it is to get it back.

Yes, it’s extremely common, and that stands as the largest element of proof that existing measures are not adequate.

Yes they aren’t. But loosen the penalty won’t make the things better.

If anything there should be something to encourage staying in the match to the end.

I agree. I believe that the biggest mitigation to leaving matches would be to make it a chore to get back in. If you leave a match, instead of getting locked out for 15 minutes, you have to complete 5-10 whole quickplay matches (for instance). The second time, 30, ultimately leading to a permanent suspension for the season.

It’s easy enough to just leave when you’re frustrated, SR comes and goes anyway, and you just go grab a snack while you wait out the timer. I think the player who left should have to invest their time back into the game before being trusted into competitive again.

1 Like

The SR leaver penalty does not affect who you match up against. The matchmaker uses MMR not SR to find matches. Similarly, back when there was SR decay, letting yourself decay from 4200 to 3000 did not suddenly allow you to face Diamond players. The same principle applies here.

If SR isn’t factored into matchmaking calculations, then it’s a moot point and completely cosmetic. Do whatever you want with it. However, that also means that it’s not a viable penalty if it doesn’t really mean anything. So I believe:

I am totally with Throw here. I just want throwers and leavers to slow their roll.

1 Like

All that would mean is people trolling and throwing QP matches. Queue flex and just just pseudo afk while doing something else on another screen. In QP it would be even harder to tell because you cannot expect someone to actually be good at the game so being slow and barely doing anything could just be par for the course for their assumed skill level. All that idea does is simply drastically degrade the quality of QP matches.

So yes while the SR is purely cosmetic the increasing leaver penalty that goes up to an entire season is what the actual penalty is. And while it is cosmetic, people do tend to care about their SR and are not happy to lose it. The completely empty decay penalty was enough to keep people playing to dodge it after all.

Tighten punitive action for trolling and throwing then. We shouldn’t let the blackmail of bad behavior be the excuse to more bad behavior. That’s self-defeating thinking and why we are where we are. Ultimately what’s needed is more accountability. I personally see a leaver in 20-25% of my matches, so it’s apparent that competitive restrictions are not adequate. Also considering that these people will likely just go and log onto another account if penalized in such a fashion…

What people can’t cycle time lockouts on is a system that requires them to give back to the community to re-enable their trust. And to mitigate just throwing/trolling in QP, make it so they have to WIN X number of QP matches before they can get back into comp.

Thanks for the chat folks, but I’m off to bed. Take care.

It becomes more forgiving the more time you have between leaves. I don’t know the exact number of games you have to play without leaving, but it does reset if you barely leave at all. I think that’s fair.

No, that is easy to abuse, if they are in their proper sr range they’ll win it back anyway

No measures would ever be adequate. Players who leave don’t care. Nothing is going to make them care. Eventually you’ll just have less players to play with (longer queues and crappier matches). Even if you could somehow force them to stay, they aren’t going to be happy or try very hard.

…ultimately you’re arguing for a side that ‘doesn’t exist.’

The current system is designed to dissuade people from abandoning competitive matches (via hefty SR loss, increasing comp exclusion times & eventually, permanent banning from comp).

Also, until the issue of alt accounts and players being able to own multiple accounts and freely game the SR system to play where they want is addressed, your argument doesn’t hold water… :wink:

What? … :wink:

I agree that this was the intention, but it’s clear that people who leave don’t care about an SR penalty, leaving the only actual penalty being a 15 minute lockout, which they just switch accounts for or take a small break… :wink:

My proposed solution would actually cut down on alt cycling because it would force the individual to win a number of QP matches before competitive unlocks again, unless they intend to buy a new account every time they leave a match (in which case they’d just be stuck playing QP anyway), which is just a silly assumption… :wink:

Source? Stats? When you attempt to argue the current system isn’t adequate, you need more than ‘trust me bro’ as your source… :wink:

‘Forcing’ people to play a mode they don’t want to (QP) to re-enable access to comp is a terrible solution and is in direct opposition to the intent of the system you’re suggesting (to improve the quality of matches as we can all imagine how these players will treat their ‘mandatory’ qp games)… :wink:

No bro you didn’t get it, it’s positive for them.
It delays their climbing.