I don't know about this Rein change

Uh, so what you mean to tell me is…

In exchange for a weaker shield, he gets to walk faster while its out? Now, I’ve been playing Rien since launch on PS4 and I primarily play him on PC now too, so I know the power of the Shield+W combo, but I ALSO know the value in the whole “hunker behind me, lets wait out this damage before we push” strat.

Weakening Reins shield could work, but he doesn’t really have much else besides the shield since hes a CQC character. Really, you’re reducing his only means of self preservation both inside of close quarters and outside of it.

Not to mention all the stuns and stuff.

Orisa got an all stats up in exchange for a weaker shield, but Rein gets to walk faster while his shield’s out and get knocked around a bit less. I actually think the Orisa change is completely fair, but that’s only because there’s so much you can do with Orisa as a character.

A lot of Reinhardt’s time is spent protecting his allies. Less shield just means less protection. If anything, it seems that it’ll push Rein to be more offensive with combos like Lucio and Rein, but that’s not really the kind of play style I’d want for him.

Lastly, I’m not going to pretend this armor nerf is going to matter in the long run. Reapers will still INT at him and there’s still not much he’ll be able to do about it. But, seeing as this PTR change wasn’t meant to address that entirely, I don’t really need to touch on the subject.

1 Like

Does this look weak?

6 Likes

I’m mostly talking about his shield here. And I didn’t even say that the shield was weak entirely. Just that it was weakened.

But don’t worry, next time I’m Rein, I’ll wait for a doomfist to want to 1v1 me while i have Earthshatter to solo ult him.

Instead of, you know, standing in front of my allies.

Remember, as Rein, the whole enemy team will be trying to laser you down. what good is your knockback reduction if they aren’t knocking you back?

2 Likes

Look at it this way, he needs less barrier because he can get to the objective much faster, and take less barrier damage getting there.

Especially if you combo this speed, with Lucio speed.

1 Like

But what if you’re defending the objective and the enemy is aggressing on it? You’re shields are less protective, so what to you do? Hide behind something and wait for the enemy to get on point?

And I’ve said that I don’t want to play as a right hand man to Lucio. Nothing against him, but I play Rein as more of a protector. While I LIKE an offensive Rein, I don’t want to be forced to be one.

1 Like

You take less shield damage on your way to the real fight so you have more of it to block important damage. Also, because everyone else’s shields also got nerfed, Rein owns the shield ecenomy. He is the bunker now.

What good is the shield economy if shields are inherently weaker in general? Or, why would i want a strong shield when I could be Orisa and have more fuel in her tank to play Dynamically?

Also, I don’t want to live in a Bunker with weaker walls, do you?

1 Like

Rein is so OP right now it’s disgusting, it isn’t just the fact that he has the same shield health to walk speed ratio but he gets to buld ult charge that much faster and boops are worthless vs him now so there is no peeling him off of you.

1 Like

If you need a ton of barriers.
You could just go Rein/Sigma/Mei

That’s effectively at least 3300 barrier.

Then throw in some Kinetic Grasps to eat some more damage.

Boops are worthless to Rein because ALL he can do is be close. Since that’s ALL he can do, he might as well do it good, right?

He’s not OP because anyone who doesn’t rely on Boops will kill him like they always have.

1 Like

It’s kinda funny that Winston got an indirect buff against Reinhardt. At least during Primal Rage.

Again, we’re talking about Rein defending as a single character, not in synergies.

I understand that Overwatch is a team game, but the stats on individual heroes matters just as much as in a group. Why?

Because, what if no one wants to play that specific comp? Now you have to rely on the merits of the character you are.

1 Like

Then chances are your opponents aren’t all that coordinated either.

What game are you playing? You’ve never played a match where your enemies are vastly more coordinated than you? That happens nearly every match for me.

I sure would love to play the version of OW you’re playing.

Why in the world would my team being uncoordinated mean the enemy is likely uncoordinated?

I mean sure, but I guess I don’t feel like I deserve to win if my team is full of potatoes.

Reinhardt’s wall now lasts much longer than anyone elses. That alone makes it better, you will outlast the enemy barriers more than ever as a defensive Reinhardt. You are also no longer reliant on Lucio for speed, Rein is faster and that’s great if you like to keep your shield up.

You said you like playing a defensive Rein, but were worried for its viability. If you like Orisa too than also play her, she does not play like or fill the niches of defensive Rein though. Or Rein in general.

What do you mean by:

No, the dude is just farming ult charge with nothing to stop him, he gets Earthshatter so fast now just from getting into fights quicker and never having to leave them. Pinballing him was core to countering him, now he basically has no counter.

I personally don’t think its my fault if my team is dragging me down. I’ll never say “I don’t deserve to win because this person outside of my control is trash”.

I think you severely underestimate how crazy his steadfast is now. Gray posted a video showing how stupid strong it is.

Doomfist moves him like M with any of his abilities, a Primal Raging Winston could now push him outside hammer range which resulted in Rein fully charging his Ult and shattering him before it ended.

Not to mention how as long as he doesn’t stand directly on a ledge he cant be booped off.

25% movement speed is insane and combined with Lucio he becomes a literal unstoppable object.

Orisa’s entire playstyle is dependent on her barrier. Personal survivability through a little more armor and fortify mean nothing if her entire team gets sniped out of existence because her barrier last only 2 seconds.

The armer revert also massively benefits Rein as he has a buttload of armor and his own damage is unaffected by the change.

His barrier is 400 less which hardly is that big of a deal. He lost 1/5th of a 2k barrier while Orisa lost 1/3 of her 900 hp barrier on top of recent 2 sec CD increase.

Sigma is even worse who lost about 35% of his barrier AND has a slow regen time on it.

Combined Orisa and Sig have a 1500 hp barrier while Rein has a 1600 and that is not coincidental.

Winston/D.Va will remain weak, while the current MT’s are being gutted.

The worst part of it all is Rein is the tank who benefits the most from utility being thrown at him. He is the best barrier partner for Zarya, he is the best tank to speed boost, and he is the best tank to Nanoboost.

This is a precision hit job to destroy Orisa double barrier.

It just speeds everything up. Rein isn’t meant to just stand in the choke taking shield DMG as his team pokes at the other shield or shields.
You go, you do something, you push and try to make a play. The defense team has the advantage of picking where every fight happens, attackers pick when. So it’s still balanced, you just don’t have that long drawn out stand around time.

go, go, go do something go. The game play way, way better on PRT right now. It might turn into something horrible later but right now most tanks seem to work at least ok, being what is rewarded is aggro and good positional play over long drawn out stalemates.