I climbed with a negative win Rate, you wont force me into your toxic behaviour!

Weekend player with 20 Games a Week at max.
I still climbed with a negative win rate.
I dont care how toxic you are !
I improved, and still do so !
Thats what it is about: Improve yourself !
If your only reaction is “blame the Team, or someone you dont like” … play LoL.

GL & HF Gamers ! May the Toxic “trash” be on the Enemy Team !

7 Likes

Cool story. I dropped with a postive win rate. From <500 down to the Plank rank. Let’s hope that in a few days, the seasonal reset and meaningful placements help get people back to where they belong. Like it’s a fresh ladder experience. Oh wait.

5 Likes

Bye darling, find comfort in your slurs, if you must, I just wave at you, here, watch my waving
Byeeeeeeeeeee
Gooood byyyeeee

1 Like

This is the problem with Match Making Rating; it favors less experienced players at the expense of more experienced ones. This is handicapping. You should not be able to climb in rank with a negative win rate. More details in my thread:

9 Likes

Howso?

I climbed out of plat into diamond with a negative winrate on one of my accounts and I’d consider myself an experienced player. Why? Because my stats were higher than the average. So I gained more SR for wins, and lost less for losses. Gaining a large amount of SR for a win only really applies to new accounts or those unplaced for a long time but the disparity you see (100SR+/-) doesn’t last for very long, maybe 2-3 games at a max from my own personal experience on a fresh account. The matchmaker does a good job. The matchmaking is fair for the most part.

The real problem lies with the player who believes he or she belongs in a higher rank and that losses are never their own fault. If you get better, you climb. If you stagnate, you WILL lose SR, because the skill of the overall population of Overwatch is improving all the time.

4 Likes

Yeah it might be time to reset those ‘rank averages’ because every smurf ever has corrupted those baselines. Referencing them for pbsr in 2020 is just another example of design ineptitude.

Overwatch is a team-based game. The only true metric of a player’s skill is their record of defeat and victory. MMR (handicapping) and PBSR both pervert that record.

2 Likes

So you believe that you should be hardcapped to XXSR for win and XXSR for loss?

That only works if you 6 stack and trust your team 100% to work for your own best interests as well as their own. There are many threads about throwers, cheaters, smurfs, derankers, etc.

MMR is empowering for the individual. It allows you to climb, no matter who your teammates are.

3 Likes

i don’t mean to be that guy… but seriously if you have a negative win rate you have no business climbing in SR ( i assume it’s by less than a few hundred to be fair) but still lol… just the thought of people going up in ranks with something below 50% scares my brain.

I’m pretty sure it only works up to diamond, you can climb with negative winrates with performance based sr, basically exploiting a really flawed mechanic, if you perform incredibly boosting a stat over the average you lose less sr and win more. so good on you, you cheated the system as many other people did. when you go higher if you lose you simply go down

1 Like

i still adjust slightly more (+/-3) than 25 for wins/losses so MMR is still at play in diamond

1 Like

Yeah it’s just that the bump for PBSR done by specifically how you did in that specific match is turned off on diamond and above.

So you say even if a Player performs better by skill (Accuracy, KDR, Healing, etc.) compared to others in that same Match / Game…
That this player should be punished because he was not able to carry a Team in this “Team-Based” Game that is (when fair matched) designed to not be carryable ?

You as a player can perform good in a Match, get better at the game and still loose, thats the thing in OW.
Punishing a player that actually performs & improves while doing his role based on the fact that his Teams were not working does not sound like a fair concept to me tbh.

I think this would throw alot of players under the bus that have to play with throwers and trolls too … (not that there are any of those in the OW Community).

2 Likes

Handicapping gives advantage to some “individuals” by disadvantaging other “individuals.” That isn’t fair or “empowering” to anybody.

3 Likes

It gives advantage to individuals with a higher skill level, yes.

1 Like

Higher skill level should just be that, skill level. Skills do not convert automatically to a win, so why forcing with this bias? If the skills are so good, they should just win more, and that be it. The basic good measure for Agile is working software, not the number of tickets you do per day or any burndown chart, the best evaluation is that : working software. So the best way to aknowledge skills is that : wins, and not anything around to be fair for all.

Except if there is some bias towards a 50% winrate that bring harder games the more you win above 50% winrate, in that case PBSR is the only good way to climb, making other ways to climb way harder on purpose.

I remember, at season 1 you were given bonus SR on a winning streak, and loose more SR on a loose streak. In fact, Bliz already aknowledged the streaky system, and combined with 50% winrate matchmaker, it seems completely logic, sorting only players by their hidden MMR through PBSR and streak SR.

Wins that should be the alpha and omega of the game are in fact not that important because of the special forgery of 50% winrates (on so many games, it is impossible for so many players to have this ratio, like rolling dice and always having equal numbers of 1,2,3,4,5,6, it is not happening in real life, you have to use really big numbers to get so, every player would have to play thousands of games to get the natural 50% winrate, but in OW, even 20 games seem to be 50% winrate).

2 Likes

the match maker in this game is very artificial and it is a very stupid bell curve that pushes you back into the middle curve by giving you harder and harder teammates to carry <-- see my wording, it’s not harder enemies you face it’s more and more teammates performing poorly to push you back into the curve making the process of moving up more and more rough the harder/better you perform.

2 Likes

Please cite sources for this information.

2 Likes

ow patent: US20160001181A1

[0003]
At least one of the players may comprise a human player, while one or more other players may comprise either non-player characters and/or other human players.

[0006]

Some systems may automatically group or match players based solely on a limited number of hard-coded characteristics (e.g., skill level), which are not dynamically adjusted.

Such systems may create a hard set of segregated pools of players. For example, in some conventional systems, a player who is at a certain skill level may never be matched with a player at a higher skill level, which may result in one dimensional and unsatisfying gameplay.

[0013]

In one implementation of the invention, the system may adjust the threshold match score dynamically based on (e.g., as a function of) a wait time (e.g., a duration of time in which a player has been waiting to be matched, such as in game lobby). For example, the system may lower the threshold match score (assuming higher match scores are associated with higher match quality) when a given player has been waiting to be matched for a predetermined period of time. In some instances, the system may progressively lower the threshold match score as the player continues to wait to be matched until the player is eventually matched.

In this manner, the system may allow a player to be matched using lower quality matches if the player has been waiting to be matched.

[0019]

In another example,

if a player has been performing poorly

(e.g., getting killed at a rate higher than the player’s historical rate), the scoring engine may dynamically adjust one or more coefficients to match the player in a game that will improve the player’s performance.

For example, the player may be matched with easier opponents, matched with teammates that historically resulted in better match outcomes, and/or placed in a game that is more tailored to the player’s preferences (e.g., players that play in games more closely aligned with their preferences tend to perform better).

this just is just some of it… I can keep finding spots in the patent that point to it…

[0023]

The analytics and feedback engine may analyze player data to determine the player style/role that is most effective for the player based on historical information associated with the player. For example, the analytics and feedback engine may determine that a player is most effective or otherwise most enjoys playing as a sniper, which may cause matchmaking to skew towards matches where the player may play in a sniper role.

This entire patent basically encourages one tricking under the hood…

That patent has been gone over repeatedly. Not once does it ever mention overwatch but nice try calling it “ow patent”. It is not an Overwatch patent, the theorists just call it one because they need it to be as evidence.

It’s a patent that, yes activision own, but it fits other games like COD and Destiny much more. Especially given that it specifically mentions purchasable in game items that effect gameplay and matching players with and against items they think the player may want to buy. Unless you know of a skin in the game that makes me do more damage…