I am somehow still bronze meanwhile my friend isn't

I finished my placement matches yesterday and i got 6 wins and landed in bronze my friend that i was playing with got 5 wins and he got silver. Can someone explain why this happened.

they out performed you

3 Likes

Your new rank is determined by your old rank followed by your win/loss followed by your performance.

I expect you were bronze last season, and your friend was silver.

See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 14) → Season Transitions for more detail.

2 Likes

Performance vs expected performance matters too

I got my sh*t pushed in by GM players as a masters player and had 2 wins 8 losses and placed career high a few seasons ago. I guess I wasn’t expected to do well against GM players.

1 Like

There’s still some personal SR involved.

Maybe the matchmaker found them more games where their entire team was the underdog, and if they won they gained a bit more.

Or maybe they put up some super good stats.

I know in this season’s placements, i happened to get a whole bunch of really long games where they went to OT or we had a 7-6 game, which i don’t usually see. It allowed us to put up some HUGE stats and i actually ranked about 150 SR higher than i left off last season. Usually, i rank about the same or a bit less.

So, its a lot of factors. My duo partner sometimes outpaces me even though our record is always the same. If she’s on Moira getting 5 golds every single game, she starts to pull ahead. The personal SR does count for something.

Performance based SR for players under 3000SR.

If you do better than your rank, you will climb. Otherwise you’ll sit in that rank with a 50/50 winrate