I am now a 14 year old GM player

Well for a game that is from the ages of 12-25 on a daily basis isn’t rare just lol at the OWL competition stuff it’s full of kids that haven’t ranked to puberty yet but all in all good job I guess.

No you have more coordination then you will ever have right now and the best reflex until you hit about 27 and it will start to degrade

Studies are showing that this may not be true.

Google “Age no excuse for failing to learn a new language”

And: “Older Students May Learn Language Rules Faster”

Sorry, Blizzard won’t let me link the articles.

I’m starting my journey to at least masters this year…

Any tips you can provide that you felt helped you out along the way?

I’ve had straight A’s without much effort as long as I can remember, but my parents have decided that online school would be better for me, since I have no social skills, but learn quickly enough to finish high school 2 years early with it. Granted, I also have pretty severe anxiety and I also am diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, which are both valid explanations for my switch to online school as well.

3 Likes

Well done.

Not to get too off-topic, but this seems backwards to me. Where are you supposed to learn social skills? You need to practice with peers.

As someone who did not naturally develop good social skills either, they can be learned. It took a little effort and focus. Practice, just like you did in OW. I’m not a social butterfly or anything (not GM in making conversation, more like gold) but improved a lot.

1 Like

I’ve already kind of developed a plan for learning social stuff. It’s just a little too stressful for me to be thrown into a normal schooling environment with all of the social stimuli. Like everything else, people learn social stuff at different paces as well, and since I learn that stuff rather slowly, I’ve crafted an approach where my other strengths can play into helping me in that regard

29 year old mid GM / T500 player here. :face_with_monocle:

Although the game is not very fun anymore so I just do placements these days.

I know this is off topic but

Same here!
I’ve been diagnosed with severe anxiety and have Asperger’s, and I’m almost 16, I’ve almost hit masters :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways on topic now, congrats on your climb! You can now think of yourself as the top 1% overwatch player in the world. I hope someday you’ll get to top 500 :smiley:
Also do you have any tips for zarya? (im also a zarya main xd)

That’s awesome dude! Congrats!

welcome to the club shakes hand

The way I play Zarya revolves around the concept of safe zones. Behind walls and shields are “safe zones”. You can freely walk around and do whatever there. If you’re either in front of shield or in front of a wall, but have bubble off cooldown and are within 2 seconds of a “safe zone”, you’re in a “medium zone”. If you’re in front of shield, or down bubbles, you’re in a “danger zone”. Always try to be in a safe zone when high on charge and be in a medium zone when low on charge.
I’d also recommend trying to directly improve your tracking via training reflexes in Osu!
Lastly, get a 144hz monitor and a mouse that works for your hand. These two items made me jump ~300 SR over summer.
Good luck my fellow aspie :^)

2 Likes

Oof I’m in bronze, you people be good.

I’m 28 years old and still haven’t reached GM yet. Congrats.

Going to sound awfully odd, but as someone hosting an Overwatch (competitive) oriented Discord, and as someone who wishes to get into Esports eventually (for Overwatch)- would you mind being (the first) coach to my server?

It’s an unpaid position- however, it’s not much like a job- more of just, a “role” you get to say to the others- “Hey this person, is, good and willing to help us get better”.

Interested? (If yes- when you reply, please include your Discord tag).

Also, GOOD JOB! I’m 18- and want to get into Esports myself. That dedication is not often found, nor with the optimism. Good job to you mate. Proud.

All of us, are proud.

Congrats!

Meanwhile I fell to silver haha

nice, also dont sweat the social skills stuff, its all made up/doesnt matter much/will come naturally and ull realize it as u get older

I disagree. I think your gaming peak is in high school. That is when your reflexes and brain are sharpest and when you have the most free time to grind the game

Since the start of competitive gaming (I hate the term esports), many teenagers have been dominant contrary to what old foggies want you to believe.

there should be an age limit on ranked. purely to keep the competitive agression out of young lads like yourself. kids can’t properly vent their anger yet when things don’t ‘go their way’. not everyone is like this afcourse but i think it is bad for kids to get so competitive at such a young age. (im thinking of when you started at 13)
it hase an effect on your school, it affects your private life… it is just bad (and i think, REALLY addictive at young ages).