I’m still concerned about supports in OW2

Yep. That worries me, even as a DPS player. I think I’ll hit hour long queues at this rate.

I love how i make a post saying ive yet to see anything exciting for supports and would like to see more, but apparently im a conspiracy theorist and a complainer because of it.

this is why no one takes the forums seriosuly
This could have been a positive thread with discussions on potential directions the support role could be taken or general feedback to blizz that we would like some news for the future, but instead people come in with condescending tones and try to put the whole thread down. Amazing.

If I was younger and had more time on my hands, I would be pissed. But I am a casual player who does plan on only playing PvE anyways. I used to be a Tracer player during 2017, but I don’t have the time to practice my mechanics to stay in a rank where my gamesense is at. Hence why I picked up Sym in 2020.

If they screw up the supports, that would be the new bottleneck though. Mercy needs some changes to adapt to 5v5. Current e rez is way too risky for OW2 if it continues to move that fast. Since team fights are so quick, Valk being 15 seconds is pointless if the fight ends before you can get its full value out of it. Valk should be 6-8 seconds and have its power condensed accordingly. They should just remove E rez and slap it on Valk where you press q again and it’s just like e rez but it’s just instant.

1 Like

:thinking: :thinking:

Is your tone negative or is it negative here?

We’re just echoing the sentiment that there’s nothing but dread to look forward to as support.

You were hardly trying to make a positive post my dude. Let’s not pretend we’re the bad guys here for trying to spin it that way.

Who?

Space said that Moth hates playing Lucio.

No he said that Moth said Lucio didn’t feel good because his ult was taking too long to charge in 5v5

That’s like the easiest thing in the world for the Devs to change lol

That’s what we said for giving Mercy 55 HPS… Remember how long that took.

1 Like

Hm then I need to take a look at the sources a bit more carefully.

But Lucio ulti taking too long to charge is because he’s not getting chances to either deal damage or heal his teammates… everything explodes so fast so it’s not hard to guess why that is.

It’s a far bigger issue at it’s core than just “tuning” his ulti charge amount.

I don’t think that’s a great comparison tbh, Mercy balance was and still is a hot button issue after year long Moth meta PTSD. I get why it took them so long to buff her, although it was frustrating that we had literal non-support player Pros saying she was bad and needed a heal buff and Blizz was still too scared to do it for a while

Even now she’s still the only support who hasn’t had a balance change in over a year currently

But I get what you mean

Well Lucio players complain that his ult currently takes too long to charge even on live so I think it needs to be changed regardless

It does say a lot about just how faster pace of the game it is if a pro lucio player thinks his ulti charges far too slowly to even keep up… meaning he might not even be able to charge up one ulti per game and make good use of it.

Because he’s definitely getting some usage out of his ulti on live game and sound barrier IS still a powerful ultimate so it makes sense that it’s slow to charge…

‘Not being excited’ is not the same as ‘dreading something’
I’m neutral towards supports in OW2 right now. Nothing is really changing for them as a whole. I’ve played OW since season3 competitive. I’ve played every hero and role in the game many times.

Theres a lot of exciting new stuff to try for tanks and a whole new playstyle with stuff like double firestrike and whatnot.
Theres cool stuff im looking forward to try on DPS (esp those wicked reworks). I used to be a sombra main and im excited for that.
But I havent seen anything for support so theres no hype to try that role in OW2 since itll be the same… just toned down to match the 5v5 setting.

Its an open question. Why should i be excited to try a role thats not really been mentioned? The answer to that is ‘we’ll have to wait and see when time passes’
So by making this thread, it kinda alerts blizzard that discussing supports could be their next focus whether on the forums or in the next showcase (such as that blizzcon thing in february). Maybe they can tease a support hero or reveal a brig rework as the next focus since theyve already shown lots for dps and tank roles.

Is that wrong to leave feedback for? No.
Does it really need people to be condescending towards me for? No.

I’m looking back at the Dev AMA on reddit from May and it really bothers me just how these devs screw up communicating with their community so hard.

"or OW2, I’ve done some iteration on her in regards to how she might work in a world where there is less crowd control effects for Damage heroes. Recently we’ve run two different playtest ideas for her:

1. She couldn’t hack players at all anymore, but instead she gained a +50% damage bonus when shooting an enemy in the back.

2. She could hack players again, but a hack on an enemy just meant your allies could see that player through walls instead of silencing them. She could also hack while invisible (she was visible while hacking, but invis wasn’t broken). Then, she gained a +30% damage bonus against hacked targets.

These were interesting tests, but each had their own share of big problems.

For #1, it felt weird/bad to just never be able to hack enemies. Shes supposed to be this hacker but her hack was relegated to health packs mostly. This is potentially solvable if we added a lot more things she could hack, such as objectives and barriers etc, but im not sure its worth chasing at this point.

For #2, it was super fun to hack people while invis and play more of the cat/mouse game more often, but her ult was terrible in this version without further changes to it. I’m unsure about this direction as well, as it sort of downplays her hacking in general.

This is just an example of stuff we try when iterating on a hero, and playtesting new ideas. Both of these ideas were in the camp of “what if she was more deadly, but we downplayed her hacking a bit”, but there are other directions we could try as well."

Sooooo they completely downplayed their interest and desire in either of these Sombra builds…yet they simply ended up going with Option 2 and BUFFING the stats of it even more despite saying that that trial/experimental version of her wasn’t faithful to Sombra as a hero and not particularly what they wanted for her.

Like that doesn’t sit right with me at all. It doesn’t matter what Sombra ended up looking like but the way they (minimally) communicate with us leads to a lot of the negative feeback every reveal gets them.

YES there will always be angry people, but they honestly do it to themselves with how little they communicate and how poorly they do communicate when they do. They could have just said “we actually kind of like Opton 2 and are looking at ways of improving on that route, but nothing is set in stone.”

Instead they decide to downplay it as a failed experiment that they were more than likely going to steer away from…but just went with in the end and buffed multiple elements of it.

Oh damn, I should fire up that ama also. Pretty much a crystal ball at this point.

Lol nah not worth your time or effort. Like always, 99% of it is just meaningless text from Blizzard devs that means absolutely nothing at all and gives away absolutely nothing despite the hundreds of words typed up per response.

Let us all not forget how 4 months before RQ launched, Geoff or some other dev was on stream with Fran and she asked about RQ and he said they had no plans for it at the time for the game…

And then on launch, RQ had a dev update video in which they flat out said it took them over a year of work to get it right LOL

2 Likes

Don’t forget there’s also 1 less enemy tank to threaten you. Dive tanks are probably your biggest threat as a support.

Yes I didnt forget that but the only time a tank is directly threatening you is in dive comps. I’m mostly basing my thoughts on what i saw happening to supports in that OWL 5v5 the other day.

Also so many of them were just accepting death because their whole team died in 3 seconds and they couldnt do jack about it. And being the last one alive, they let themselves be killed for the ‘reset’. There was several times youd see the supports just crouching and waiting for death after failing to keep the team alive. Several of the support players said it didnt feel great to play as.

Oh, and you should be concerned. For supports specifically, since they’re going to be super weak. And for all this stuff too:

I feel Blizzard accidentally missed a huge point here.

They’ve said they’re ‘making OW2 for future players, and not the current ones’ (cant remember the exact phrasing). Its essentially a ‘new game’
But the problem with that is, they’ve done a lot of showcases to hype up the dps role.
They’ve hyped up the tank role as much as they could too.

But they’ve been silent for the support role.

If this were a new game, as a new player (which there WILL be), you won’t be really tempted to pick up the support role at all. Theres been no ‘advertising’ or ‘hyping’ for the role. And as returning players from OW2, you won’t have any incentive to want to play support again because its going to be the same heroes as before but weaker… to makeup for the missing tank… and much harder to stay alive too. If anything, you will be too fascinated by all the dps/tank hype that you might just switch roles… and then support will end up the next queuetime bottleneck.

I"d love clarity on their thoughts on supports. Because so far they said supports need potential nerfs and aside from that, they’re not getting much changes at all. Seems weird to make the whole ‘new game’ shiny and fun but then kinda just… turn away from the support role and ignore their playmaking potential.

4 Likes