How will coronavirus effect overwatch

I was surprised that the league didn’t suspend the travel schedule and just play games at the original stadium like last year.

At least until virus is contained or large enough vaccine is in place. I believe the CDC can contain it but I would error on the side of travel caution.

On EU it’s usually France

Well, the Chinese teams are gonna get a major hit in their prize money for not being able to compete.

But I think most of them have already evacuated to Korea and other countries.

bullsh*t its worse then they report china is obviously lying about the cases, deaths and severity, and no vaccines exist. this is worse then Sars, h1n1, swine flu, etc. its the worse outbreak of the modern time, its a global health emergancy for gods sake and has spread to over 18 countries or more

You need to stop and think critically. You’re saying things for which there is no evidence whatsoever to believe is true. 0.06% of people who have caught the virus have died. It’s literally just another version of the flu and the media loves a good story.

Trust me, epidemiology is a subject I’ve had for 2 years at Uni, and the pattern of this coronavirus indicates a non-threat. Epidemiological studies very clearly show a very different story than you might have gleamed from the media.

So far there have been a bit over 20.000 cases of infection, but only 188 of those have been outside China and all have been cases of people who have travelled to China or people those have come into direct contact with. The official total number of deaths so far is 427 worldwide since it’s outbreak, about 200 per month.

Now let’s compared that to another disease present in our world. Let me quote:

[This virus] causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization.

You know which virus we’re talking about? It’s the common flu. :smiley: Up to 650.000 deaths per year, which is 54.000 deaths per month.

54.000 compared to 200 (and the number has been slowing down, not rising by the way). Even if you think China is lying about actual numbers, you still can’t possibly think these two examples are anywhere near close.

So we have a virus that spreads slowly and has an incredibly low infection rate and a manageable mortality rate. Just compare it to the common cold virus, a new strain of the common cold virus spreads all over the world and causes tens of thousands of cases of infection within weeks of it’s first appearance. In the same period of time, this coronavirus infects maybe a few dozen individuals, and far fewer of them die from it than those from the common cold (due to the sheer difference in the number of infections).

So what makes this coronavirus so dangerous in your book?

Edit: Btw, Vaccines have already been created, they start animal testing in March of this year and human trials presumably in 2021.

There was a player that lived on Ground Zero and he was telling us that due to the virus, many are home bound and cannot go out so he was playing Overwatch and hoped they had a free session for the areas affected since many couldn’t go out.

On a lighter note, where I am in Australia (Junkertown), two infected have been cleared and released whilst the remaining seven are contained. We all hope there’s a vaccine but I’m glad the body can fight it like a common cold in some aspects.

Hell, do you remember when Ebola was basically the next scourge of God? Now here we are and… Did it even break the 4-digit mark? Did it even break the 3-digit mark?

Give it a year few months and you’ll have to prod people with a stick to get them to remember this.

1 Like
1 Like

Which is why I am off my immune suppressants.

Good news, my immune system will have a good go a killing anything which comes near me, bad news, that includes me.

Here is what we do know. It is very likely to have originated in animals but moved its way onto humans

The virus was sequenced at the Pasteur Institute on 29th jan 2020

Its part of a slightly larger group of viruses, all of which have been sequenced

The risk for US citizens to get the virus inside the US is relitively low.

1 Like

Well they already put a ton of OWL matches on indefinite hold for one

How some of you morons manage to joke about it is beyond me.

1 Like

Exactly. And compared to this strain of coronavirus, Ebola was much deadlier. It had an even lower infection rate, but the mortality rate once infected was actually over 40% worldwide, a big step up from this case.

Always happens. :man_shrugging: Disease terrifies us as a species, it’s invisible and hard to control and it kills people, everything with those traits is pretty much designed to scare us. Think of anthrax and radiation and all that jazz.

The media knows that, so they use it to generate money.

Good thing Mei’s primary fire was nerfed.

Mei dies

Autoimmune?

Its even more worrisome that unlike the other diseases, such as the flu, that we have no vaccine for it.