How were the forums during DIVE? (OWL Stage 1)

Yes.

It was very similar to what we see now with Goats. The only difference now is the lack of downvotes.

10 Likes

Pretty much tbh, everyone hates a meta that’s been existing for more than 3 months even though they see the meta hardly ever played in their rank.

3 Likes

Haha I remember those days where you would say “tracers fine” and you’d get like 50 dislikes but no replies within a few minutes lol

1 Like

It’s much more than that.

• Some players looks up to high rank players and pros. When they see a hero inst viable in those ranks because of the meta, did they also not wanted to see those heroes being played in their ranks, even though there isn’t a meta there.
  • Players in those ranks also got tired of not being “allowed” to play their favorite heroes, just because they aren’t meta.
  • Viewers of OWL don’t like seeing the same mirror matches with the same heroes over and over again. They want to see other heroes being played as well.

It will always be the same with any meta.

Yes. It is the same thing with every meta and every new meta is “the worst”.

People were very sick of dive, at the GM+ level as well as OWL.

Dive was an extremely agressive meta that would drain even the most positive support players at the time. It was not fun, getting hunted down by 5 super mobile heroes. Ana wasn’t even remotely playable, due to Winston and D.va everywhere. Protecting their Tracer and Genji.
Quite demotivating, having a D.va hold m2 for 4 seconds as her team mates wittled you down with no hope to protect yourself. I’ve had quite a lot of sleepdarts eated by D.va, that would have denied a Dragonblade.

Though in it’s defense, it featured the highest display of skill the game has ever seen.

1 Like

It was much of the same, with Tracer being talked about instead of Brigitte. The difference between GOATs and Dive is that Dive also required aim and flanking, which is arguably more interesting to watch then GOATs.

Forums were ruins and anarchy. So basically, it was just a Tuesday.

That saying, Dive meta had some legit concerns. It managed to have Winston at 100% pickrate at some point, and the 4 second DM and few characters being able to deal with Tracer didnt help things either.

The main difference is that no one hero is considered OP anymore, it’s an issue of design choices so we’re seeing more things like delete Brig rather than nerf Brig.

During dive the forums was just low ranking support players asking for nerfs to Tracer and Genji (even though Genji is barely used in dive, and Tracer never drove the meta and was awful in the ranks of the complainers).

it was more of NERF MERCY!!!
thats when she was soo op, insta double rez in ult pure bs.

and they didn’t want skill healers who play ana to be stuck on mercy for the whole stage.

I can give you a snapshot

• mercy is must pick!
  • dva is must pick!
  • nerf tracer!
  • nerf Genji!
  • nerf widow!
  • nyxl is too strong (oh how things chan…wait a sec)

Same poop…different smell

1 Like

Downvotes made such a difference man. Discouraged spamming the same topics.

The new forums started in February last year…had OWL even began?

identical.
Except people were complaining everytime a hero wasn’t a counter to dive.
Little did we know…

You can look for yourself to a degree if you want to do so

https://web.archive.org/web/20180801000000*/us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/22813879/

Here’s a url that has archives of the old Forum that was used till late February.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180801000000*/https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/c/general-discussion

Here’s a url for the archives of the new forum it was archived less times tho.

People did complain about the characters in DIVE and about DIVE but, if you look at the old links it wasn’t anywhere near as dominant as the discussion on GOATS.

If I recall correctly it started on January 10th. New Forums were around Feb 20th

People complained about Tracer and Genji, but not really about Dive itself. Truth is Dive was very much a GM and OWL issue.

I made a nice thread Trickle down meta isn't real

That ended up with Jeff showing different ranks had differing metas that showed that say Gold players’ complaints about Tracer for example weren’t particularly valid.

People complain more now about Goats because there’s a lot more influence down the tree on which heroes are picked from that meta. Because the metas down the tree were far more varied than they are today, people were more specific and clear about their problems; but never had so many heroes they felt were unplayable.

I think the pushback against CC comes from that, as it’s a very tangible place from which you feel you’re not being effective; when the reality is that a lot fewer heroes are viable in the first place around those that are.

it was all over it
and #deletejunkrat was a thing

People were complaining just as much. I would rather take DIVE tho, more skilled playstyle, dps heroes had their place even if they werent central to the comp, and had various verisions to it. GOATS on the othr hand has only 2, Sombra GOATS or regular GOATS.