How to supress damage from venom mine?

I am looking to suppress Venom Mine’s damage while keeping its ability to spot incoming enemies through walls.

(I think) I used to be able to do it by detecting the “Burning” effect and applying an equivalent heal over time, but not anymore. This approach still works for suppressing damage from Ashe’s dynamite, but no similar effect exists for Venom Mine.

In this post, Dan Reed (Overwatch developer) suggested to use the “Stop Damage Over Time” action, but I can’t come up with an event/condition that would trigger it on the victim.

I spent countless hours trying so many things I couldn’t list them all. Please help me ?

Interesting, I’ll see if I can make something work.

Try this:

variables
{
	player:
		0: VenomHeal
}

rule("Rule 1")
{
	event
	{
		Player Dealt Damage;
		All;
		Widowmaker;
	}

conditions
	{
		Event Damage == 2.880;
		Player Variable(Victim, VenomHeal) == 0;
	}

actions
	{
		Start Heal Over Time(Victim, Null, 5, 15);
		Set Player Variable(Victim, VenomHeal, Last Heal Over Time ID);
		Wait(5, Restart When True);
		Set Player Variable(Victim, VenomHeal, 0);
	}
}

rule("Rule 2")
{
	event
	{
		Player Received Healing;
		All;
		All;
	}

conditions
	{
		Event Was Health Pack == True;
		Player Variable(Event Player, VenomHeal) != 0;
	}

actions
	{
		Stop Heal Over Time(Player Variable(Event Player, VenomHeal));
		Set Player Variable(Event Player, VenomHeal, 0);
	}
}

Edit: fixed.

This is wonderful, thank you ! I quickly tested and seems to work nicely !

Such an elaborate rule, I don’t understand all of its intricacies yet as I’m just getting familiar with the workshop ,and the graphical interface doesn’t help. If I understand correctly I will need ot be on the lookout for balance changes on its damage, right ? So smart thinking of the healthpacks, I totally overlooked that, thank you !

Where is the syntax that you are using coming from, bu the way ? Is it from an internal tool at Blizzard ? Is there a way to import it directly into Overwatch, and/or export a mode to such code ?

I made it using Overwatch Workshop, you do not need any external tools. You can copy, paste, and edit this code into any custom game. You only need to open up the workshop section of the game settings. Hopefully that answers your question.

Oh, big discovery right there ! Thank you for everything ! :smiley_cat:

The mode I’m working on, if you’re curious: https:// redd.it/fuwy67

Current code (work in progress): K3NJ8