How to recreate scatter arrow in the workshop

Please help. I know everything about the workshop except vectors, angles, and math.

If you know me, you know that I usually help people, not the other way around.

Could someone with vector and angle experience help?

Goal:

Create a beam effect that will appear to bounce off walls at different angles.

Things I’ve tried

Direction from angles (I may be using this incorrect, but when I tried it, no matter what the numbers where it seemed to go in one direction)

1 Like

I can recommend Freya Holmer’s Maths for Game Developers Series, she talks a bit of vector maths as well, and uses Unity to visualize some beginner required aspects. At some Point Part 3 or 4 she mentioned Bouncing Lasers, we can accomplish that if i remember correctly by multiplying the vector position of the incoming beam with the angle between the vector position of the beam again and the position of the ray cast hit normal to gain the direction of a collidable surface. So its like a Dot Product operation. But i could be wrong and forgot the actual formula for that. So i can recommend the video series on youtube i mentioned above. Freya Holmér - YouTube

3 Likes

But…
but…
people already made that…
NRPQZX

I think it even was made before the Rule Event 'Player Died' was added. So it might be worth taking a look at it for cleanup / updating the Code to take less Rules / Actions

Player Died Event was in the workshop since the release of workshop. You mean Player Joined/Left Event which were added later. If that code handles custom projectiles which works like Hanzos old Storm Arrow then its worth to check it out.

1 Like

My fault then, I see so many people use

Conditions
Is Alive(Event Player) == False

that I keep thinking that Rule was added later.

It does, just doesn’t use Beams to visualize the Arrows.
It’s using ‘Play Effect, Bad Explosion’

Also I’d like to add that that Script was literally the first thing I found as I googled “Overwatch Wrokshop Hanzo Scatter Arrow”

1 Like

I would say anything could help as reference lets see what the thread author @AlaskaWolf will accomplish with it.

2 Likes

hey teawy can you help me? I made a post yesterday and it still has no comments on it and i want to know if making brigs old repair pack is possible and that i have an issue with her health ^^ Also I did what you requested me to do awhile ago and I cleaned up my sym 1.0 code since A LOT of those rules were unneeded