How to fix competitive

Alright blizzard, here is how to fix competitive.

1. Overhaul the ranking system completely. Most of the community doesnt have entire days to sit and grind overwatch so you need to tone back the amount of grinding required to achieve new ranks. Drop ranks quickly and gain ranks quickly. It would require a person to play well more consistently but it wouldnt require eight hour grinds. Perhaps you could do like a silver 1, 2, 3 & 4 type of deal for each respective rank. I’m a working adult. I dont have time to sit play 200 to 400 games a season, yet, big surprise!! I still want to be rewarded too.

2.As big of a fan as I am of being able to play with my friends, the sr gap allowed to Q together is far too big. I just had a 2100 sr gold dps player in my 2900sr game. Unacceptable.

3.Team play: If you want less frustration and more personal enjoyment from the masses you need to make the game far less team dependent and much more solo carry potential. I’m happy the game functions as it should in OWL but for the mass majority of us it does not and more often than not just creates toxicity among people. 1 3 2 was a good approach. An approach you guys seemed to abandon unfortunately. I do think further adjustments were needed for 1,3,2 but it had so much potential. Supports were complaining, yes, but you guys never modified how supports function or heal output. It’s stupid. What is the harm in experimenting with it further. I mean that’s what experimental is for.

Rewards:Regardless of skill level peopl4 want to be constantly rewarded for playing your game and unfortunately you fail to do that. What little there is in the game in terms of reward has grown old and stale. Same stuff different year. Innovate. Be creative. Reward your player base.

Free to play: I support going free to play but only if you can add a better basic tutorial and a intermediate guide on how to play the game so that we dont have a completely new playerbase ruining games and perhaps it will quicken the process of them learning.

Cross play:This could potentially save the game but, if you’re gonna do that, you need to give console players the option to use mouse and keyboard.

Q-Times:They are atrocious. 1,3,2 greatly improved them. Free to play and cross play would improve that.

Recreating seasons:For some of us old heads, we would like to see new arcade modes that recreate the competitive environment of say, season 6 overwatch or season 1 overwatch etc. I garentee it would be played. Think about it.

Balance:If you release a bunch of new heros for OW2 and dont fully balance the game before releasing…you’re already setting yourself up for failure. Come correct.

3 Likes

I agree with most of your points but stopping you at cross play. We don’t want keyboard players on console already which they are ruining the higher ranks.

Leave pc separate. We don’t want to deal with keyboard and mouse more than we already do. Or the added pc stupidity of cheaters.

Pair playstation with xbox and leave it at that.

3 Likes

Eh it really is a game made around the Competitive scene, i don’t see why it should be changed as well the people they’re trying to reach is people with alot of time on their hands.

I agree in a way though, it surely isn’t fair… though if you don’t have that much time then why worry about a certain ranking? The point of the game is improve, if you don’t have that much time then that doesn’t mean you can’t improve. Though if it takes time for you to improve then it isn’t the game for you.

Changing it up could cause some problems.

As someone who has been in almost in Bronze i can say there isn’t a big difference if there is a single player like that in the match.

Everyone under Diamond has Skill Based MMR, making it easier to go up based on personal achievements. Again, you don’t have to like every game. They all have their unique things, and the unique thing of this game is team-play. And that’s what makes it special, though changing it to solo/carry potential would made the community hate it.

People hated Genji’s solo-carrying games… yeah people in this game aren’t very fond of playing against someone who can carry because well they don’t really stand a chance against someone else.

If it’s individual based then the match can literally be one-sided just because of one player, whilst with team play you can make up for the mistakes of each other.
I think the team-play aspect fits this game much better.

You need a reward to play a god darn game?
A game is made for entertainment, then again this is a competitive game. It’s not a game for everyone and it’s something to be taken seriously.

Playing competitive for the sake of a Golden Gun is just… no, you won’t take it serious and ruin the match for other players.

Going F2P could break the game entirely.

Bots, Cheaters, Throwers, Smurfs and issues like that would absolutely skyrocket.
I know some people exaggerate these issues, but these will definetly go up.

These people aren’t actioned as much as we’d like, so this would make the game unplayable. Also, i’d rather not lose my money on every game that goes F2P… really.
Not against more tutorials though.

Not bad, though some players play Console for the reason of using a controller. Making Crossplay an optional thing rather than a forced thing as in standard queue couldn’t be bad imo.

What we currently have is fine, DPS players can mostly go to the OQ which is fine. 2-2-2 including the Flex queue fixes most of the queue issues, though priority passes should be reworked.

Forcing cross play would decrease queue time, and lower the quality of matches. Optional cross play could increase queue times, whether it affects quality of matches is unknown.
F2P would decrease queue times and possibly ruin the entire fun of the game.

It isn’t all bad, though this would mean tweaking the entire state of heroes… which well… they were changed for a reason.
It’s good to start having diverse meta’s rather than keep repeating them.

There never is a ‘correct balance’, there always will be a meta and that’s normal.
One hero will be more powerful at a certain time and that is just so damn normal.

Conclusion: Stay out of Competitive if you aren’t playing it for Competitive play.

2 Likes

Have you seen this post about how MMR is a hidden metric and it’s used to arbitrarily handicap matches?

1 Like

Its not fault of the game it tooks long time to rank up, you are playing against players, not AI bots so game cant make it really easier for you that much. It is supposed to not be easy too. You can reach higher ranks faster by playing better and by improving faster.

I am afraid that this would bring more chaos and games would be less balanced than now.

So you want rank even when not investing time like others? You cant expect to climb when you cant invest time into improving.

Yeah I would lower gap to 700 SR.

No, this is team game, not solo player games. If game would be build around solo play more, nobody will play as team.

No it wasnt, it was horrible and felt completely broken.

I agree.

Definitely not, almost all players without mouse and keyboard from consoles would drop like two ranks.

Queue times with pass are not so bad, 132 is not a good way to go. It gives too much power to one role. Its bad idea.

But why? I dont see the point to play game with completely different balance. You can pretty much do it in workshop anyway. Blizzard doesnt need to.

There is too many heroes to balance it properly before release. I dont think we can avoid new heroes being broken for a while.

1 Like

No to solo carry.

Due to hackers and exploits creating goat meta.

Every hero should be viable not just the goat genji