How to enable "Receive Damage Dealt" to create standoff scenario?

Hello Workshop Community:

I’m working on a mode currently called “Mexican Standoff”, basically as the name suggests the idea is it requires at least 3 players and when you damage another player you receive the damage you dealt. So in order to win you have to try to shoot a player who’s already half health so you won’t kill yourself too in the process.

But the damage number isn’t right.
Here’s my script:

Event - Player Dealt Damage
Action - Damage
Player - Event Player
Damager - Victim
Amount - Event Damage

Maybe if you are asking “What if all the players don’t shoot as they don’t want to give others the advantage?” But please remember this is internet and in my prototype run I discovered that they’ll shoot anyone on sight no matter what.

But the weird part is the damage number isn’t right. With that rule, when a McCree shoot an Ashe in the body it instantly kills her and results in 2 dead bodies and me scratching my head while staring at the Workshop inspector.
I ended up reducing the damage received for McCree/Ashe to 50% to try to see if it can set things right but nope now they just won’t receive the exact number of damage dealt.

My wish is very simple, I want to create a mode where if you shoot someone you’ll receive the exact same amount of damage to create some intense standoff scenarios, but IDK why that script isn’t working as intended.

The problem is that you’re setting a Damager as a different player. The Damage action will trigger Player Dealt Damage event, which results in this happening:

Player 1 shoots Player 2, which causes Player 2 to damage Player 1, which causes Player 1 to damage Player 2, which causes Player 2 to damage Player 1, which causes Player 1 to damage Player 2, which causes Player 1…

The solution may be simple, set Damager to NULL, or implement some kind of prevention/condition before a player can take “recoil damage.”

I’ll try the set damage to NULL part but would like to hear if there are also other solutions to better my understanding of the workshop system. Thanks so much.

Edit:
OMG I think I did it. This mode is super fun IMO, the score limit is 10 but it’s so hard to reach it as if you solo kill another player you die too so you score none and if two player decides to start shooting each other the 3rd player can pick them both and score 2, thus some big brain and social skills are required.

1 Like

Hi, this topic is old but I just realized you can actually just put a very short Wait action at the end of the Player Dealt Damage event to prevent it from triggering again rapidly. Much better solution than setting Damager to NULL.

I see, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

It’s you again!!! >;o

>;o

1 Like