How to determine Symmetra teleportation?

Is there a way to know if an Event Player has been teleported by a Symmetra teleporter?

Not in any easy way. We hope Blizzard will add a feature to allow us tracking the positions of deployable objects of any kind, e.g. Symmetras Teleporter and her Turrets, Torbs turret or Ashe’s companion Bob. We need to work with some position offset to determine where the Teleporter’s start and end components will be placed and ray casts to determine where these mentioned components can be placed, then we check if a Player presses interact near the start position of the Teleporter, set teleport initializing variable or so to true, when that player gets teleprted to the end position, we check if that player is near or on the end position, set teleport arrived variable to true and lastly check if both variables are true and the player is on or near the Teleports end position so we can say the player got teleported, else not and it failed somewhere or is teleported inaccurate.

4 Likes

the only way i would see is haveing 2 variables and in a loop setting one to your pos and the other one to your past pos then check if the variables have a major diffrence

Unfortunately this won’t be enough you need at least a third or up to four variables to determine the states between is teleporting and got teleported to be accurate. The positions which are harder to track if you wanna use Symmetras standard Teleporter ability and the distance is not enough until we get a proper and better way to track and obtain Hero specific deployed objects.

3 Likes

Only if you are updating every frame. But in reality thats not needed, so the delay between the updates of the variables can be a couple of frames long, wich should be enough to notice teleporting.
coolestcats idea should work as long as there are no other teleportations, impulses or rapid movements in the gamemode.

honestly the only 2 things i think could mess up my thing other then what you said is genji swift strike and putting the teleporter right next to the other one

I also have another hero who has a teleportation ability and certain game mechanics which teleport players in my mode so I specifically made this thread to see if Symmetra’s teleporter could be determined, not teleportation in general.

1 Like

That’s what i was trying to explain, the issue isn’t really the telportation the issue as you have pointed out and only understood is to get the required position of Symmetra’s teleporter compounds and one or two more variable to determine and validate that someone uses the teleporter and got teleported with Symmetra’s device to the right spot. Since we neither have a beneficial method to check if someone uses an Object nor getting the Objects position, we need to settle up a workaround, which i described above, and both cases are important to function programmatically and logically correct, in other game creator tools its done with triger zone overlapping and Tag/ Bit flag manipulation in some ability systems to make it easier e.g. if someone has opened another Players door or in a racing game if someone overtakes another one. I hope if Blizzard will add something like that to obtain more ways for interaction purposes.

3 Likes

You could try to flag those custom teleportations by setting a player variable to true just before the custom teleportation and false right* after it ends.
This way you can check for a rapid position change and wether the flag is false.

*including the delay between the position log updates of course

1 Like

Im uncertain about this, but im posting it anyway.
You might be able to use symmetra’s teleport (max) distance and get the location of her aim with a max 20m (I think it was).

You can then take the location which will then be about 20m away from you and search the nearest walkable position. Im not sure how far this works and at what rate it will remain working. (Think about teleporter being destroyed, moving on a platform or sliding down.).

But I dont think you get any further.