How to bring People to play tank or healer

Mine was Contra.

Sorry, this post just made me feel so old I couldnt help myself.

5 Likes

Remember that pretty much all the tanks and supports since launch got nerfed when they were “too fun”. Then people who played those heroes start to leave or migrate to the “more fun” heroes and everyone is suddenly surprised that there is a shortage of non-DPS players on your role queue matches.

• D.va got nerfed because Defense Matrix was “too unfair” for DPS players that got their whole ultimate blocked.
  • Zarya got reduced energy per bubble and faster energy decay, making it hard to play her outside of goats
  • Hog got nerfed because a tank is not allowed to one shot (IMO, that was a good change, but it happened for this reason nonetheless)
  • Mercy got nerfed because for some reason her iconic ability was “unfair” for all DPS players in the team that pressed Q at the same time.
  • Zen got nerfed because Jjonak was too good with him
  • Lúcio got nerfed repeatedly because he is the only source of speed boost in the game, but also proxy nerfing Rein by having a weaker speed aura
  • Brigitte and Moira got nerfed because [deity] forbids Support heroes from being anything other than target practice for flankers.
  • Brigitte and Symmetra got deleted because flankers complained too much about them, and replaced with their evil twins.

Rein is basically the only fun tank left in the game, but he requires the team to follow his pushes more than any other tank, because he is the only one that can’t exert pressure with damage while the shield is up. If your team is not coordinated with you, Rein is a big feeder.

So yeah. Buff tanks back up and you’ll see more tank players.

3 Likes

I feel like healer potg/onfire could take into consideration… not how much healing you’re doing but also recognize if you just healed 4 people for low amounts but it saved all of their lives

it has this code already, right? since it shows lifesaver potgs and deaths prevented by baps lamp.

And give more "shutdown’ on fire points (Ana sleeping ulting mcree, hog, etc. Lucio booping a nano’d rein off the map), Zen/lucio/Bap “lifesaver” points for good ults. Ana hitting long-range shots counting under “sharpshooter” fire points. etcetc.

ALSO ITS BEEN YEARS ITS TIME TO FINALLY MAKE 3-5 GOLD MEDAL CARDS OVERRIDE ANY OTHER CARDUGHGH

1 Like

Tanks are not self-reliant enough anymore.

Nobody wants to pick a tank and then get ping ponged around, frozen, stunned and nuked down constantly because your team can’t even press W with you.

So the only tanks we get are the two tanks who can not only shield, but apply pressure solo and mitigate pressure applied onto them. And then one other tank is a solo tank, entirely self-reliant and capable of making big plays, apply pressure and killing people.

Is it any surprise that two of the 3 meta tanks in this game could be played as solotanks before role queue and were known for such?

Why oh why do we not have tank players anymore? Because half of them cannot rely on themselves any longer to make plays. They need second tank, they need healer pocket and then they need the dps to kill things just to operate. They’re just there for appearance’s sake and provide a shield so your dps can do something and not instantly die.

Overwatch has always been a solo player game in team game disguise, individual performance matters more than team performance. One person pops off, they carry the whole team. One person performs badly, team falls like deck of cards.

However, Overwatch has been powercreeped to the point of no return and non-self reliant characters are the ones that suffer the most.

1 Like

Plays of the Game are based on a scoring system and whoever can get a spike in their score within 8 seconds of the game.

Unfortunately, bringing back the dead and kills/finishing blows tend to be the highest scoring options in the game.

It’s unfortunate, but if you want to really get a Play of the Game, you need to be killing targets and/or healing really well to the point that your score spikes higher than the rest of the team’s.

That said, you idea of giving Tanks and Supports Plays of the Game isn’t going to bring players into these roles.

Here’s how! How about they make tanks more engaging and interesting instead of just being either a shield bot or a nerfed to oblivion pick and make the supports actually you know, give off decent healing? Oh and increase the amount of said heroes to pick from for those categories so they actualy stand a decent chance next to the DPS crowd next door that look way more fun and appealing due to the many different varieties they clearly favor!

I mean, it’s not like the supports or tanks were nerfed to a complete mess this year and the DPS buffed and increased in quantity with unique movesets that can pretty much be all around right? /s

the easiest thing the devs can do is make the tanks and supports, supports especially, more like paladins.

Paladins has Frontliners which would translate to Defense and Tank heroes in Overwatch and Supports can actually do a decent amount of damage without seeming like healbots as their healing is on cooldowns, not injected in their primary fire or through some other automatic method. Puts a lot more thought into how healing is done.

Tanks/Defense/Frontliners are kinda like fat dps in paladins too but they have better defense methods. Barik has rocket boots to escape or engage and an area denial ultimate, Khan has an aoe heal, a self shield, and cc abilities that can be used to stun or run. Torvald has bubble shields like Zarya, with one of his talents, it increases the damage done on the one who’s bubbled. Oh and an ult that is also area denial. And Atlas is quite literally tracer but as a tank.

Same logic can be applied to the dps tbh. If we had heroes like Junkrat and Genji having more usefulness and skill in comparison to the likes of Bomb King and Maeve, duuuuuuude.

As a support main, I don’t mind not seeing my name pop up for Potg and when it does it’s literally always as Moira. I’m a team player and before 2-2-2 I would always go tank/support because that’s what we always need. Not 6 DPS.

For this Halloween event, the role incentives aren’t event based so a lot of us are probably in arcade. IMO, if you really wanted to play DPS you would wait the queue times.

I really think the only way you would get more people to play tank/support is to add new heroes or at the very least soften some of the nerfs they’ve given them.

Likewise.

I do enjoy playing hitscan characters like Soldier & McCree as well as characters like Symm & Torb because i enjoy the strategic aspects when considering turret placements + juggling their CDs.

I particularly enjoy playing Lucio because of the constant need to decide when to switch b/w Healing and Speed boosting. However, my favourite Support character, next to Ana because of how unique she is, would be Brig actually because she was very much akin to a Cleric / Paladin multi-class character.

Yet, end of the day, i always find myself clicking on a Tank - Rein, Orisa, Hog, Sigma when i want to chill out. Yes, i actually play tanks to chill out because it just seem to come naturally to me in terms of play style.

I play mostly dps and sometimes support but I won’t touch tanks with a stick since none of them has a concept that interests me. I don’t mind picking up a tank if there ever will be one that looks cool. Mauga might be the first tank I’m genuinely interested in.

Well first of all you gotta stop everyone who buys the game just because it is advertised as a “shooter”

if that’s even possible, then you try to get people to realize there is actually strategy to the game.

It could do with a better genre title such as “Team-based Strategy FPS”

Then if that is even possible, you get them to play those heroes because they know it is a good strategy to winning the game.