How to bring People to play tank or healer

…and therefore reduce the queue times for dps…

Give the healers/tanks credit for what they do…

The reason i stopped playing ana for a while was that i got frustrated that i never got the POTG. Whats the point in having the coolest potg ever equipped if you never see it…

Sleep one enemy, throw the Grenade onto your team and a few enemies then nanoboost the pharah that is ulting with 20 hitpoints…she gets 2 kills and Potg

If Dmg blocked or healing done would contribute just a little more to the potg counter… and if there was a slight chance to get the potg with healing or blocking (for example blocking an ulting dva) i am certain that would encourage some players to tank/heal.

maybe its boring to see a lucio wallride and heal…or a mercy standing behind a tank leftclicking… but those endless junkrat-2-person-kill- and torbjörn-walking-from-spawn-while-turret-gets-some-kills- or flying-exploding-dva-potgs are just as boring.

5 Likes

lmao u cant buy me with your trivial potg. 99% of the time ive left by then already queing for my next match

4 Likes

I don’t play DPS for recognition, I play it cause its fun and I actually feel and see the impact I have.

5 Likes

good point…im not looking at them always too…but thats because they are boring…you see the junkrat potg starting…you leave because youve seen it a thousand times…

but you are right… that alone wouldnt solve the problem…but it would be a start imho

Because if you don’t understand a role, you will get little no gratification/satisfication.

People have a hard time to get into the support and especially tank mindset.
OW is doing a very bad job at teaching the game.
So many tanks who don’t know that w is their most important tool to win. (totally oversimplified to show my frustration)

1 Like

PoTG does need to be reworked to be more than just kills. But I don’t think that’s the main issue.

As someone who likes supports but hates tanks, I can say that it has less to do with recognition and more to do with playstyle. I’ve never liked the feeling of getting shot at in any game because games literally train you to think that is a bad thing and I’ve been playing games for 22 years. I’ve been conditioned to believe I am losing when I get shot a lot.

When we get the 300hp damage mitigation tank with a hitbox that isn’t the size of Texas, then maybe I’ll like tanking. But until then, I just don’t see it happening.

Been playing Tanks in MMORPGs since 2002.
Always been taking the Fighter or Cleric roles in tabletop Dungeons & Dragons since elementary (primary) school in 1983.
All the cRPGs i have played since IBM PC days, my characters were Fighters, Paladins, Clerics or some variant/multi-class of all 3.

i think that people are just kinda “born” or “called” into a role (Tanking, Damage Dealing and Healing etc). It is really difficult to incentivise something like this especially in a game where people just want to have fun.

Anyway, a lack of Tanks (especially) and Healers is something which plagues all games with some form of a “role” and long queue times for either or both classes occurs in MMOs as well. It really is not something unique to this game.

4 Likes

Here’s what it comes down to.

The dps and heals will NEVER have an idea of the shots that aren’t hitting them.

They have no idea when you’re constantly disrupting key parts of the enemy formation.

They tend to tunnel vision (dps more than heal), and rightfully so… that’s their job.

And likewise with the game’s AI. How do you quantify a significant “near miss” vs a 4 kill?

1 Like

The queue time for healer is already several minutes. I’d rather more people didn’t pick up healer at this point.

Leave healers alone, we need more tanks. Maybe a tank healer hybrid.

I know how to do that. Get them to play Paladins.

Reverting the friggin GOATS nerfs should do the trick.

Someone might want to tell the balance team that 2/2/2 went live 3 month ago.

I’ve blocked so many ults as rein and other shield tanks, but potg doesn’t care. It doesn’t care how much I enable my dps, or how much ground I take for my team. It only cares about kills and burst damage/healing. Feels bad knowing my tanking abilities will never be highlighted for everyone to see

We tried that already… disastrous outcome…

1 Like

The issue was they also made them counter dive. Just a standard healer/tank would be amazing. Or would have been. With 222, I guess most people who wanted it do not really need it anymore.

Tbh, even now Brig 2.0 comes very close to this concept.

The problem with DPS role is 2x the number of heros so it’s just more fun since there are so many ways you can play dps.

Really the game going 2-2-2 without adding more tanks/healers is a problem but w/e least games are better.

To make people play tank/healers more.

1. More tank/healer heros really need more than 3 a year but maybe it’s not possible.
  2. Better rewards for playing tank/healer to be honest a system where if you play an in need role for 3-5 games will let you express queue dps would be good.
  3. 2-3-2 While this would rework the game again and the massive balance changes would be need it would fix the problem a little. (this probably would break OW tho.

For me the biggest frustration about playing tank is the obscene amount of CC that a lot of teams can end up with. As the first person in, a lot of it gets thrown your way simply because you are easy to hit, I often end up feeling I weigh as much as an inflatable beach ball. On top of that, there are a lot of heroes that tanks as a role struggle against like Reaper and Mei.

On top of the overbearing CC, for me personally I am still incredibly frustrated by all of the D.Va nerfs, and that 33% range reduction hit so incredibly hard. She was by far my favorite hero to play in the game, but even after her buff, she still feels like just an ult battery.

Make people smarter.

Make them play around their tank’s ability to create space, and understand that the Mercy wasn’t getting one over on you, Genji, you were simply across the map attempting to 1v6 the enemy.

You can’t, so people won’t play tanks and healers as much.

This exactly. OW was my first game I took really really seriously, and I started with D.va, who’s still my best tank. I find DPS to be a snoozefest, and healing, while pretty fun, I find harder just because of less HP. I will play healer every once in a while, but I didn’t even want to finish my DPS placements. Lots of people just don’t want to play a certain role, and that’s fine. As more tanks and heals are added and more people pick up the game, more people will learn the other roles.

1 Like