How to actually win games as mercy

Tl;DR dont bother reading this b/c you already know what im about to say.

you’re control is on keeping key players alive and boosting the people that are on fire. Same as every support player. Supports carry by enabling their team to do what they need to do.

she cant do that anymore, though. as evident by her having no glory moment or enough consistent power to justify having no glory moment (moira/ana)

except all other supports can reliably kill people aswell as enable others. that’s objective.

I would have liked to think most of this was obvious, but none the less good job :+1:

2 Likes

You can’t enable multiple disabled onetrick teammates.

As I said:

There’s nothing you can do about it as Mercy. (Nothing you can do about it in general, other than avoiding 3 players just to get matched with someone else who’s stupid)

Switch to a more impactful healer.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. Blizzard Support - Forum Code of Conduct/

1 Like

She’s always had a low skill floor. The rework literally made her easier to play.

To what? Communicate? Or play Mercy?

You mean that you’re diamond?

People could have played the game since beta, and could still be Bronze. It doesn’t mean anything.

The devs agree with your opinion. Although, the devs aren’t exactly all that reliable.

When?

There’s a difference between testing and straight up putting it into the game.

It sounds OP, sure. But that’s because you decided to conveniently leave out the nerfs that Titanium gave to Mercy.

2 Likes

All supports (mercy included) can kill, but should only do it as a defensive measure or when aiding another team mate to pick off a hero. Getting elims is not the job of a support and should be done very rarely, you need to keep the team alive and when possible enable a kill (such as with a damage boost).

ok, so, zen, brig, lucio shouldnt be shooting?

as a mercy player (which you arent) there are times where 50 hp/s is just not enough, and it’s a better idea to stop the flow of damage entirely, by killing the enemy. the thing is, while zen is doing this he still has his orbs out, ana can throw an e (and kill them fast) and have very little downtime, moira can cast an orb and be done with it etc.

yet mercy has to stop everything to pull out her pistol which is much less consistent than everyone tbh - might be an overstatment.

it’s just that mercy shouldnt need to stop the flow of damage and should have strong enough healing in her kit or have some sort of damage reduction so she can continue healing, as healing, realistically is her only job.

2 Likes

oh no! damage reduction!! whatever will the poor dps do…

you do understand what a power-creep is, right? do you remember when mercy’s 60 hp/s was enough because not everyone could OHKO and not everyone had insane damage potential, back before heaps of heroes were added.

mercy’s only way of protecting people is her staff. and it’s just not enough anymore.

1 Like

An argument can be made, if healing was nerfed and dmg boost unchanged, it might make more sense to damage boost more now, while healing when possible.

1 Like

Gotta nip this right now, I know I haven’t flooded hours on Mercy this season (and that you can see that) however thats because she is in a niche role when running against heroes like brig, or rein who have become meta. Against them Lucio/Ana and Moira are at a clear advantage for winning games since Lucio/Moira are hard to pin down and Ana can anti healing.

However when Mercy is appropriate I play her. I don’t play her every single game because no support player should do that ever, just like no tank should play 1 tank every game ever because both of those roles are so specialized.

Zen and Lucio have their shots readily available they should be shooting but not looking for elims, Brig needs to attack to heal so she should be attacking as often as possible.

Zen needs to be seeking out targets to heal and discord more than anything and should only focus on elims when he sees a golden opportunity.

Lucio needs to use his shots to provide support on a target already being attacked.

Mercy needs to do the same but with damage boost instead of shots.

50 hp/s is still the highest sustain heal in the game, sure it won’t win every fight but thats a good thing. It means you need to decided do I heal or damage boost or bail (avoiding feeding ult) and support another teammate in the hopes that I could rez the dead guy before he respawns?

This thought goes on with other supports too.
Lucio for example: Do I speed boost us out or keep heals up to try to win this fight.

Her best tool isn’t her pistol its her damage boost, unless your caught out alone and there’s no choice you should be damage boosting. Pistol is only for a desperate moment when you’re alone.

Lucio, Ana, and Moira sometimes have to stop the healing to keep a teammate alive. Its part of the decision making that goes into the role.

Do I speed boost us away
Do I help focus down this Genji in our backline
Do I send out a damage orb and right click to prevent damage.

Whenever you help kill you’re doing damage mitigation which is preventing damage from being taken by accelerating an elim (reducing enemy ult charge and gaining some yourself).

Yep.

Not the case since she now requires more skill to perform. You literally contradict yourself from few posts above. Get your story straight mate.

Both. But admittedly it’s harder to play Mercy now than before. Still relatively easy though.

Yup. Never bothered to grind above that since I don’t have the time or the proper setup and quite frankly I want to play other games too or do other things in life.

Hence the first part of my sentence you know. :rofl: I know it’s a common tactic for your kind to take parts of my argument and defeat it as it’s a stand alone point but come on, at least put a little bit of effort.

More reliable than an OTP Mercy player that hasn’t played the game for 1+ year that’s for sure.

I take it you didn’t watch Seagull and other pros at the time.

Again, no need to test it, it’s clear as day that it’s a broken idea.

Even with the nerfs, it’s still a broken idea.

I dunno, kill things like they’ve always done?

Not everyone has insane damage potential currently as well. You also have tanks to soak up the damage. I know, crazy concept.

Dva says hi. :slight_smile:

Lol D.va the Mercy of tanks!

mercy only has her beam, no special utlity that she can use on the living.

and you’d also regain resource to continue the healing, incentivising that play, though it’s more benificial in every sense of the word to use a healing orb instead of a damage orb in almost every situation (aside from securing kills)

that’s an everyone thing, not a support thing. a genji in your backline messes up everyone in the backline so they should all try help and deal with it as fast as possible.

valk was literally describes as easy mode (making mercy better at everyything) in the developer update, but here you are saying “mECAHniCAl DeSCiSIon s” b/c theres more to do than just press one button;

• pressing a button and showing everyone you like the colour blue
  • pressing a different button and showing everyone you like yellow, even though yellow sucks.
  • killing someone as a pacifist support hero.

it’s not hard to use valkyrie, seriosly, all valkyrie does is take away the difficulty that comes with playing mercy to a high capacity. the only POTGs i’ve gotten since september 2017 were triple/quads with my pistol or amazing beam prioritisation saving people from deaths (3/4 lifesavers in one potg) they dont happen often, but when they happen, they dont include valkyrie.

what im trying to say is, everything you can do in valkyrie you can do without it, it just takes a little more effort.

sadly didnt save all of them since i was too taken-aback that mercy could even get them anymore…

Ps the highlights i have from “todays top 5” involve me getting atleast 2 solo kills lmao, nothing to do with valk or her piddly healing.

that’d be reinhardt.

no aim no brain, reinhardt main.

there are 2 tanks in the game, the rest are “off-tanks” or DPS with high healthpools.

funny thing is, both orisa and reinhard have insane damage potention that, guess what, mercy doesnt even come close to outhealing anymore.

Mercy’s utility is her beam, rez and mobile rapid healing. She is perfectly capable of carrying a team but only when she’s being used in the right situation.

ok, so mercy’s utility is damage boost and rez, as utility are things that are appliable to the time, she doesnt provide mobility to the rest of her team, it’s the exact opposite.

What is “the right situation.”