How they destroyed Hammond

More like worth less. And specifically against Tanks.

It would still be getting full value in DPS and Healers.

Well, I mostly just donā€™t foresee a situation where they can remove a lot of CC, Balance Hammond for Top tier, while making it so that Hammond isnā€™t a hard throwing pick below Masters.

As for what I think 5v5 would probably look like, hereā€™s my best guess. Notice how Hog/Zarya/D.va all have a near equivalent to a barrier.

No shield tanks in Overwatch 2 on defence like Kings Row? - #29 by GreyFalcon-11737

This is what happens when a hero releases OP. Sometimes it takes time to realize how OP they are when theyā€™re as high skill as Ball. I hope he gets brought back at some point but many of his nerfs were totally justified.

They also nerfed a tech by removing it, giving Hammond 2 knockbacks in short succession.

I mean come on, being able to instantly deal 100 damage and launch people ten miles was pretty busted. It only got removed when some people found out you could even do more than two hits under the right conditions. With scripting you could even do 4 and instakill squishies.

The huge myth of the game is that Hammondā€™s main counter is hard CC. In actuality, even soft CC can be as detrimental because it redirects his momentum, and even that isnā€™t super necessary. He just needs to be focus fired. In order for Hammond to be ANY sort of effective in team fights, he needs to pull out his guns, which requires him to stop and shoot. Focus him in those moments, and he dies. Even with all his speed, he moves predictably and heā€™s a massive hitbox thatā€™s really easy to hit.

The most likely thing I can see for 5v5 is them pulling damage away from pound/boop and putting more of it back into his guns, forcing him to go out of ball mode if he actually wants to hurt anything. But really, people put WAY too much stock in how you ā€œneedā€ cc to stop him. A good echo/tracer gives him far more grief than a good mei.

1 Like

I have no doubt they could balance him for Masters and above. Easy.

The problem is the other 95% of the playerbase canā€™t coordinate an entire team to pounce on a half second of bad enemy positioning.

Much less the strong likelihood that the Hammond player isnā€™t going to be coordinating with their team at all, and just playing like a fat Tracer in the enemy backline for 90% of the match.

And having a Tank have a strong likelihood of being a throw pick at hero select for 95% of the playerbase, is intolerable, when you only have one Tank on a team. And the entire rest of the team is held hostage by a bad pick.

please, stop with this spiel, hammond is by far the best solo tank in the game. Remember 1-4-1 meta?
Tank doesnā€™t mean shields.

1 Like

He also made the whole cast unable to get behind the Route 66 counter anymore because only he would get stuck, so he deserves every nerf that comes his way.

In Overwatch 2 if a tank player decides to play Hammond, there will be lots of toxicity coming towards that player from the rest of the team. A tank player would have to be crazy or completely bored to pick Hammond in Overwatch 2.

I also agree with what was stated here by others: 95% of playerbase will avoid Hammond, or be toxic towards Hammond picks. Itā€™s not the hero itself, itā€™s the team behind Ball which will be demolished easy without a proper tank protection.

Hey, at least Hammond makes it possible to pick bad characters like Mei and Sombra and justify it.

Welcome to OW. Now you know what every hero who was meta had to go through.

Heā€™s been getting nothing but nerfs ever since he was released. I barely see any buffs for him in patch notes that included a change for him.

Fixed bug where you can use slam with bug when you no even high from ground

-deleted, i do not enjoy playing the game anymore with the current patch and am careful about expressing my discontent-

Oh, and can we talk about how they removed being able to dangle around in crab mode FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER?
It was a cosmetic haha-bug that merely got removed to SPITE THE FEW PEOPLE STILL ENJOYING THE GAME.

1 Like

If there were other options for a survivable dive main tank that doesnā€™t need every team resource pumped into them he wouldnā€™t be used. When thereā€™s only 1 other option for an even vaguely similar role (Winston) the term ā€˜viableā€™ doesnā€™t apply.

If we were talking about 17 tanks where 3-4 of them do the same job then sure.

Except Tracer, Genji, McCree, Widowmaker and Winston.

2 Likes

well hammond got hit with that hitscan falloff nerf and tracer didnt which didnt make sense if you think about it. shouldnt it have been dps only?

-deleted, i do not enjoy playing the game anymore with the current patch and am careful about expressing my discontent-

Blizzard ruins pretty much every character

Give ball back some of his boop and limit his grapple to 4 seconds. That will let him be better most of the time and remove his most annoying feature - the spin-to-win.

This little hamster needs some love from these so called ā€œdevelopersā€.

1 Like

every hero has their down-spikes, im sure he will get some buffs in the future depending on the devs. i dont think he is bad as orisa but he does seem worse than hog now