How Rare are Crusaders?

They are very Rare or not? Also how they are become Crusader? How many of them are Crusaders?? 10? Why Reinhardt’s Mentor and Old Armor Reinhardt, and other Crusaders look so Different?

1 Like

Well, I assume the Crusaders are/were a pretty close-knit organization. I think we only saw 3 or 4 members.

Considering their only known affiliation was with the German military, and how the majority of the German military were footsoldiers, I wouldn’t imagine the organization as a whole were awfully expansive.

I agree that 10 armored Crusaders sounds about right. But, I would add another ~15 extra members that mainly do recon, repairs, upgrades, transport, etc… It seemed like Brig’s job was pretty important to keep Rein active, so I assume in their prime, each Crusader had at least one understudy or assistant, and some extra hands to help with larger-scale organization.

Probably why they look so different, too. They might each have had their own assistant to stylize their repairs and upgrades. Too small an organization to bother with mass-produced-uniformity.

5 Likes

Why there not so many Crusaders Compare to Footsoldiers? When Omnics Or-14 is so Strong and can kill Crusaders?

Cost would be my first guess.

However, in the Crusader cinematic, it seemed like Reinhardt was pretty young. It could have occurred just a few months after the Omnic Crisis started. If that were the case, I doubt many militaries would be fully prepared for the threat.

2 Likes

I guess too. That Good guess.

So means when Bastions Omnics Fighting Crusaders, and then Omnic Figured Out what their Weakness, and they make Or-14?

1 Like

Possibly. Assuming Bastion’s cinematic/flashback occured before Reinhardt’s cinematic/flashback, it would make sense.

Might be able to get more evidence for it once an official timeline is released. November, I think?

1 Like

let’s take into consideration that the Crusaders were initially a group of people passionate about ancient medieval cavalry, and that with an approach very similar to the MEKA team of Busan (composed of gamers), this virtue has finally become a specific infantry of the German army. it would be a very interesting approach to analyze.

we could speak of “noble families”, making Balderich a sort of count who has decided to dedicate his family coat of arms (the griffin) to the service of the military army, applying new technologies to ancient armor (rockets and shields). this would also explain why in Honor and Glory we see hypothetically ancient armor and others (such as that of the female ccrusader) more sophisticated in detail. Reinhardt may have received one of the Balderich house armor. honestly, nothing in the lore excludes that there are noble titles, and Eichenwalde Castle has not been cleaned up. perhaps because it was really a private property of Balderich himself. we know very little about him, actually, and this gives us the opportunity to speculate how much he contributed to the omnic war with his possessions.

do not consider these theories, they are just my personal considerations on what could have triggered the need to have this particular group of soldiers, and why they did not have a wide circulation besides Reinhardt: perhaps because it was a group specially engineered by Balderich for his country, and this would enhance the importance that this man had from being originally called to be part of Overwatch.

more confirmation from the developers on the existence of multiple groups of Crusaders besides Eichenwalde would be needed.

Yes, upgrading ancient armor may have been a problem at first, but over time Overwatch has adopted the choice with Reinhardt himself (lieutenant skin). this may make us think that the technology of Honor and Glory was necessarily closer to the ancient armor than the knightly imitations he brings back to his armor today (the symbol of the lion on the shield).

Often Overwatch tends to quote a lot the plots of the other blizzard franchises. especially StarCraft. this is an interesting tweet in which he made fun of the actual cost of a marine terran in his armor: officially Billions.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/3rdtot/cost_of_raynors_marine_suit_estimated/

Orisa herself admits that she had some inspiration in reinhardt’s technologies (but this is more of an easter egg of her development as the game’s hero). this could seriously be a reference to the need for omnics to recalibrate their technology against humans. the Busan lore makes it clear with the Gwishin: omnics always readjust into necessity, and what you see in honor and glory is an Idina prototype. hypothetically derived from the one developed by torbjorn (always confirmed by the voicelines). in the old forum it was confirmed that the Or14s were also developed as security systems like the Bastions, before the war. It is highly probable that the “omnic readjustment” has arrived on the laser blade. this too feels like a huge reference to StarCraft, with the Zerg race and its ability to mutate. but in our case this is not biology, but technology, just like the evolution of a cell phone model.

2 Likes

Well I haven’t seen anyone get an entire Crusader from a loot box, so i’d say they’re pretty rare if at all obtainable besides the starting Crusader Reinhardt you get after buying the game.

Probably to show what rank they are. Fancy looking armours = high rank like commander lietenant etc while the basic ones are just regular crusaders.

1 Like