How much does badly losing one Placement match affect your placement?

We have been told that our placement is not just about winning. Its mostly about performance regardless if you win or lose. So even if you lose a placement match you will still get placed higher if you performed exceptionally well.

1. What if you perform exceptionally well in all of your placement matches but lost all of them? How does this affect your placement?

2. What if you performed bad in all of the placement matches but ended up winning all of them? How does that affect your placement? Will you get placed high because you won all of them or will you get placed Bronze or Silver because you played bad and performed bad even though you won all of them?

3. What if you won half and lost half of the matches. In all of them you played exceptionally well except for the one match where there was a leaver on your team? That resulted in your stats being negatively affected in one match? If you have a placement match where you have a leaver on your team causing you to die 20 times but only get 8 Gold elims but you stayed without leaving. How will that one match affect your placement if the other matches you won or lost you played very good because you did not have any leavers in your other matches? Will the system look at how you performed in most of the matches or place you lower than you should have simply because you played super bad in one match due to a leaver on your team? I am hoping it will see that the reason for the poor stats or poor performance was due to a leaver and not weight that one match against you.

4. What if you lose three placement matches due to leavers causing you to die many more times than usual and you are not able to get hardly any elims. Does the system take into consideration that there was a leaver in three of your placement matches and thus not count the bad stats against you causing you to place lower while focusing more on the matches where you had a full team and how you performed in those matches?

I am curious about this and wonder if a Developer or Moderator can answer these questions for the community.

Yes :soccer::hearts::pizza:

This is a forum theory with no basis. If you are an active player, winning a game gets you about 19 SR. Losing a game costs you about 19 SR. Performance is a small modifier on top of that, just like the regular season.

See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 11) → Season Transitions for more detail.

Regarding leavers: you don’t get any special consideration in SR (or otherwise) for leavers. See the section on the Leaver Penalty.

1 Like

I totally agree. I just wonder how much performance is weighed on placements. I have heard of players saying they won all 10 placement matches and got placed in Silver while others have said they lost half of their placement matches and got placed in Diamond. Others have said they lost most of their placement matches and got placed in Plat.

I wonder if they should consider leavers on your team which would seriously affect your stats and performance negatively but only for Placement matches since it seems your placement is primarily based on your performance and stats as to where you will get placed. I would hate for a Master to get placed in Plat because he had leavers in two of his matches and he left the match with terrible stats and got placed in Plat because of that when he would have otherwise got placed in Masters. On the other hand, you don’t want a bronze player getting placed in Plat simply because they got carried and won all of the placement matches.

This is because by far the most important factor in your placements is where you ended the previous season.

Just finished my placements did the worst ever but finished highest! Had every steriotype going aka trolls, throwers , leavers and smurfs won 4 out of 10 but finished 2175.

Whats wierd was for prob 4 of the games I was agaisnt ppl who had finished there placements and were plat

I finished at 3100 last season, only won 4 of 10 and placed 3072. I did very well in a lot of those games with various characters but I’m placed at a lower score because of the team aspect.

Honestly I think placements should consider more of your individual output within the team to help better place you at a rank. I was Masters most of S9, my SR decayed because of work in S10 and now after a nice 1-4 record (Thank you so much leavers in my last two games) I’m in the 2900’s. I’m clearly a higher level player but there is no adequate reflection of that for comp.

Imo, we should be able to skip placements at this point.

I finished last season at 1383. I did my placements, went 8-1-1. My E/D ratio for placements was 4.6.

According to your 19 per win/19 per loss explanation, I should have gotten up to around 1520, but I ended up at 1490.

To me, placements should be a chance for you to try to reset your ranking. Instead, in practice it seems that placement matches are less impactful than typical comp matches are, which is just… really weird. Why have 10 matches at the start of every season that don’t matter all that much? It’s silly to pretend that you are getting a new ranking when it’s just a slight variation on the old one.

It’s approximate. It varies a bit based on performance and how active you are. See Season 9 Placements Analysis, High Variance Explained for the full analysis.

Resetting would be a problem, because everyone would get thrown together, and it would take months for the games to get tolerable again. Any sort of partial reset (opposed to a full reset) would decrease ranking accuracy as well, just not as much. However, it is silly to hide SR for 10 games every two months. Placements should be removed from the game (except for players that are new to competitive).

Well I won 6 and lost 4. I ended up 100 SR higher than where I left off last season.

In my experience, after you place for the first time, placements are essentially just 10 regular sub-Diamond games, just there’s 10 of them before you see any results. Performance just seems to matter a bit more than usual, and they of course start you at exactly where you ended last season. Some examples that might clarify some stuff about this. On my Plat dps account, I lost 9 of my 10 placements this season. Still finished only about -125 from where I ended last season, because I went wild in most of those games. Just I instalocked dps every game, which is a recipe for losing. My friend once won 7 of her 10 games, and gained nearly 200 SR, cause she had improved a LOT since she had last played comp, and it showed in her stats. I’ve known people who stunk it up in their placements, and lost a little SR, despite winning 6 games. Hope this helped a little.

You’re thinking too much about it. I prefer to look at it this way;

They mean nothing once an account is placed for the first time.

You can win all 10, or lose all 10 and you will be approximately where you ended last Season. The only difference W/L and performance makes is that it determines if you will be placed slightly higher or lower than that point. Roughly, 100-200 +/- SR from where you ended.

All you need to know that is that regardless of how you performed, good or bad, terrible or amazing, win or lose, you won’t get placed too higher or too low from your previous SR.
That is don’t expect to end up at diamond if you were a 2600 last season. And don’t expect to end up at gold or silver if you were a 2600 last season.
However, you can end up at 3000 if you were a 2900+ because that’s the next step. And you can end up at gold 2490 if you were 2500 because that’s the immediate bottom.
I’d say it’s usually +/- 100 to 200 from your last season depending on how you do in the placements.
If you are a new account just starting comp then obviously placements matches will get you your SR placement. But for old accounts then placements is just a transitionary stage from old to new season.