How does the competitive system work?

Hello, guys! I just want some help. I’m a gold player since November, when I bought the game. My highest rank was 2240, that’s when I finished last season. Now I did the support role placements, and I’m 2146. After that, I did the dps role and 1976? :o I don’t get it. In all 5 matches, I was gold damage, gold object kill and gold elim (played 90% McCree and some Symmetra). What does the system checks when people climb? Maybe I died too much? I did all I could, did some nice double, triple kills, I even was on fire everytime, in the first minute… I was even potg one game. What do I do wrong? I know, that I’m a gold (now silver dps lol), I know that I’m not world’s best, I’m average at best (like all gold players). I just want to be better, but I don’t know what to do anymore… I thought the system checks the player’s performace, but as I can see, it doesn’t… How can I be better?

2 Likes

Individual performance has a minor impact. Winning matches is what is important.

3 Likes

How many placements did you win/lose ?

Yeah, I see… thank you. :slight_smile:

@ [LazyTitan]: 2 wins, 1 draw and then 2 losses.

If you want to be better let someone to check your gameplay, its basicly fastest way. If you are interested I can do it. If you can record your games. Let me know.

This might help too. It will help you understand some things.

Diamond+, performance has no impact to SR, but it does below Diamond, and it can be somewhat significant (mitigating losses from -24 to -16, increasing gains from +24 to +30-40).

However we don’t know how much individual performance impacts MMR, which is what the matchmaker uses.

For SR, you cannot gain on a loss, and you cannot get lower on a win, but Jeff has hinted that’s not the case for MMR.

They’ve been tracking MMR data in Seasons 16 and 17 for each separate role. It’s possible your performance through the last several seasons created a gap in your MMR per role. So the assumption that you started in the same place for placements isn’t correct.

All that said, there has been evidence that at the beginning of the beta season, placements were having some trouble by placing off-roles a little too high. It’s likely that they’ve adjusted these things throughout the beta season.

Not for placements. Wins and losses mean nothing.

During placements you are compared against all the other people playing your role AND hero adding in how effective you were.

A lot of people look at the stats that have medals, but the ones that matter even more are the hero specific ones which you can see when you press TAB during a match in the bottom right. It can be how many kills you got with the help of your flashbang, or how many people have you resurrected as Mercy, how many graviton kills and such.