How does SR work? 16 more wins than losses, 350 sr under max

So, as the title mentions…

I´m asking about how the SR actually work… I started my season at 2100… Now I´m 2120 with 16 more wins than losses… All from solo que… My max is about 2450 though this season, and I lost like 9 games and lost more SR than i´ve gained the whole season… but still with 16 more wins than losses, I´ve gained about 20 sr… in total those 16 wins in solo que… How does that work? Average of about 1.8 gold per match and about 1.5 silvers per match… so my stats are good no matter lose or win.

Keep playing, the more games you play the sr you will gain or lose will be more accurate. The system will take about 50 games each season to place you correctly where you belong.

If you really want to improve, record your gameplay, have someone else analyze it for you. Also mention your setup if you have a pc and the settings you have in overwatch.

The medal system is not something to care about, medals do not win games, players and the way they play do.

When you use Tab, look at what the enemy team is playing, think how to counter it, if they have done any changes recently, think ahead of them.

Tab is the most useful key because it will tell you how to position, who is the most important kill target, and plan your counter attack.

Timing your engagements and picking the right way to start a fight or disengage from one will do wonders to your win percentage in the long run.

2 Likes

Euhm… Yeah… I´m level 600+ and have 100h+ on a few heroes… about 450h comp… But my question is about how the SR system works since I have 16 more wins than losses at the moment, and still have 350sr less than my max SR this season…

sr is performance based so if you do perform better relative to other players in your sr on your hero then you will gain more, if you don’t then you gain less. The medal system is irrelevant so I wouldn’t even pay attention to that, you can have five gold medals in a game but still under perform relative to those at your sr on the hero you are playing. Medals compare you to your own team who are obviously not playing the hero you are, sr compares you to everyone at your sr with the hero you’re playing.

4 Likes

in your case, your stats need to be better than other torbs stats within your rank. I don’t know which stats exactly but you seem to be one tricking torb anyway. Just figure out what stats/behavior benefit your SR gain the most and maximize those.
I’m not sure how pickrate is included into this, i’d assume that torb has a lower pickrate thus less players you can be compared to.

1 Like

I wrote an explainer at How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 13). If you lose more on a loss than you gain on a win, then the game is declaring that you have poor statistical performance with your hero.

However, if you are solo queuing and you are winning more than you lose, the game is wrong. This happens from time to time, is most likely to happen after a rework, and Torbjorn (your current main) did get reworked recently. If you write down your SR after every game it is easier to show a problem (as I did for Mercy a while back: Overwatch Forums). It will probably resolve itself, eventually. Until then, posting in bug reports, especially if you can write down your SR after every game, may help.

P.S. To be precise, what matters is your rank at the end of placements, your record since then, and your current rank. Your max rank is irrelevant and your record including placements has extra games that make things murkier.

2 Likes

I have serious doubts that will help. Considering this has been a problem for a long time with several high performing niche heroes… they are aware of the issue and refuse to fix it.

Symm has had an issue with her SR gains for awhile, especially if the game thinks you are higher then your MMR with an excellerated win rate without stats, which the builders have issue with because they can find high effectiveness by just being there if your team plays into them.

Considering he 16+ now and only 20pts above his starting SR… that means at worst he has a +6 win from placements if he went 10-0. He should be at around 2250 with that record.

I had a similar issue last season, but not as pronounced and it “could” have been chalked up to me LFG’n in the early part of the season… but I was 2+ games over my placement record and actually finished a good 40 sr below my placement SR or basically 80sr lower then where you would expect my record should have balanced itself out.

Something is going on with the SR system and it is making adjustments greater then pbsr…

Although, unfortunately, this guy’s data in incomplete.

I kept some stats on wins and losses… Played about 30 games…

Still have 16 more wins than losses… and I´m not at 40 sr less than I was 30 games ago, with same amount of wins/losses, 16 more wins still…

So that means I´m now 400 SR less than my max, with 16 more wins than losses.

People on my friends list, with worse average stats, about same amount of playtime this season, and ALOT less wins than losses, even have better SR rating than me… I really don´t get it.
This SR is driving me crazy, playing solo que, filling roles right now. 28 more wins than losses on my main hero… and still, I just drop SR even if i keep my wins and losses the same and got cards in 23 of the 30 games along with an average of 2 golds per match…

https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Rufus-2382?mode=competitive

If we look at your recently played games, you’re averaging 19 per loss and win.

If you’re lower than where you started and have it marked down, check for if you’ve DC’d (loss of 50) or if you’ve left after someone else has left (notoriously known for single digit gains next game).

Other outside factors : Your Moira statistics are abnormally high compared to everything else. Whether your Moira stats is a better indication of your skill or all the other heroes that you’ve played is a better indication of your skill is something that only you will know but if it’s the latter PBSR quite possibly could be keeping you lower.

Lastly, personally I don’t keep medals as any indicator. I can end matches as Rein with all the offensive golds but that doesn’t mean I did great. All that meant is that I said screw you to my backline as I dove into their backline with my flankers a lot more.

1 Like

I was a moira main for a long time.

I have 0 DC this season, and I don´t leave games even if someone else leaves. It´s just free practice with other heroes to me :slight_smile:

I wanted to torb only this season, and got 28 more wins than losses on torb. Doing great. As you can see, 40 of my 50h this season is torb.

I just have no idea how I could lose 400 sr by winning the same amount as I did when I climbed my first 350 sr this season as torb only, and my personal stats only got better and better…

It´s like a switch just got pulled, and suddenly I lost all the SR with no real reason behind it.

1 Like

Unlucky man. PBSR is a giant pile of crap anyway. I played Mercy for 30 hours after Orisa patch. Couldn’t climb with y 60% win rate due to bugged stats. Dropped her and played dps and climbed super fast. (65% win rate, but also far more generous Sr gainz).

Change hero for now. Devs obviously can’t be bothered to fix an obvious bug after several months.

Maybe show us your stats. Game seems to love good kd ratios and other metrics that they want to measure you on, but don’t want you to know what they are as you’ll try and achieve them, which apparently is bad (wtf???).

https://imgur.com/a/RtP1M6z

Here´s pics I just took of some stats.