How do you place high on a fresh account (for example diamond) in competitive?

It is possible to place masters. It’s just not easy. Nearly impossible on the support role, but on DPS you can if you consistently wipe the enemy team. Genji is one of the few heroes who can do that consistently if your mechanics are insane.

But in order to do that you have to try-hard quick play like it was competitive with the same performance. If you play it casually it’s nearly impossible.

And all I’m saying is I doubt that your peak 2700sr friend did that :slight_smile:

I also said he left the account alone for a while and played on a team with a professional coach. In the end it was more time efficient to create another account than trying to climb the existing one – with Genji (non meta hero).

Again he is an exception. Most people get the same rank because they haven’t learned how to play better.

The best I was able to get myself was a +200 SR boost playing on my own. For me it’s better to watch replays and grind. On the other account that I play more often I got up to 2800 after a ton of time reviewing replays. On this account that was 2200 I got it up to 2600-2700 in an afternoon (after not touching it for several seasons).

I think the first few levels of a new account mean a lot. Last time i got a new account, i went try hard on my main hero from level 1. After about 5 games, i was getting matched in quick play vs. people who were ranked in masters, diamond. At one point, the players were ranked in the 500’s? I’m guessing the few smurfs who try for an extremely low account. It was bizarre.

Eventually placed 2800 or so with the new account.

All I’m saying is this – If you are going to buy another account, make sure you try-hard quick play up to level 25 as that does affect your placements.

However, you are very unlikely to get much of an SR change and you’re throwing money away. The only way that will happen is if you spent a ton of time outside of competitive in scrims with coaches helping you. If you are self-reviewing games in competitive, it’s better just to stick with one account.

I’ve look at a post that said that quick play does not affect competitive on a new account, which was this Initial Competitive Skill Rating, Decrypted

Don’t really know. First account I did placements in 2016 I believe, I placed silver and worked my way into mid - high plat.

Second account, after about a year of practice I placed almost identical to my main account, mid plat.

I’m considering purchasing a third account, just to see what happens now that I know I’ve improved exponentially since then. I doubt I’ll place higher than plat, but 2900 would be cool!

Good luck on your placements dude, I’m a GM player looking to one trick sombra on an alt, I’m currently leveling up in qp and I’m hoping to place at least diamond in placements

You have to win every single one and do exceptionally well. Back when it was 10 placements you used to be able to place in the 3700s, but now I believe only mid diamond is possible.

I think stats like accuracy and final blows are given more weight in initial placements.

Yeah I made a new acc as well but that is broken on ps4

I see people from bronze to diamond and masters in the same team in my qp matches…

So can’t tell there haha

Well i tested that once. I have always been in Bronze and with fresh acc i get placed low Plat ( ~2600 ) , i hanged between 2450 - 2550 like week and then started play this account again for hoping that someday i will glimb :laughing:

Play as diamond or higher in placements and win them all. Then its very important to win first 10 games. First game after placement csn be like 100+ SR. Then bonus sr will go slowly down to zero. Quickplay doesnt matter btw.

No they are not pre-placing you based on qp. Qp and comp are completely separated.

1 Like

Yeah, he is just confusing people like you. Qp doesnt matter for comp.

1 Like

Don’t take me for my word- I aint no game dev, but here goes:

Every single match you’ve played since you logged in to the account is taken into consideration when finishing placements - because mmr affects sr

Medals don’t, stats do.
How much damage per second do you do on average vs every single player in that rank (medals are for comparing players within one match)
How much damage do you block as tank compared to all other tanks in the game
How fast do you charge your ult on average compared to all other players on that hero in the game or on that rank

Anyway - what the game is trying to do is place you closest to the sr range where you get 50-50 win/loss ratio
First placements are not enough data, so even after you finish them the sr will skyrocket or sink deeply before the game get’s you to 50% win/lose rate as close as it can.

Before that - it’s def not medals X)
It’s just all your stats per second/minute.

Yes they do, this is the reason why people who want to place really low dom’t play qp but level in custom games and aracde.
Also quickplay affects your mmr and mmr affects your sr gain/loss depending on rank

Quickplay/arcade and comp is not related in any way. Doesnt matter what you do, if you play in qp or in arcade. Your comp start is always in same place, no matter what you did until you reached lvl 25.

I thought its not true in past too and i changed my mind by facing facts and testing it myself. You can see it on multiple top500 stream. They always start in same place. Its around 2350 sr. Every new account starts there. If you claim something different, show the evidence.

2 Likes

But isn’t it that if your mmr is a certain number and you win a gold game that mmr will determine how far up you’ll be in the next game?

Also players that didn’t play qp before going into placements on average place lower and gain lower amounts of sr when they win?

That’s what I noticed on streams.

I can’t show it but: There were 3 of us - friends, 2 of us were high plat, one was silver.
We all get new accounts. Me and the silver play qp to lvl, the other high plat does custom games to level.

The silver get’s silver teamamtes in first placements matches. Never get’s out of silver
I get high golds, the second placements I’m already against plats
The plat dude get’s low golds, second and third placements are still in gold

In the end we all place more or less right where be belonged anyway, being that the other plat guy placed lower than me, but whatevz, he climbs fast enough after.

(this was before 222)

I’m telling you, my silver friend started in silver on fist placements and stayed there - That I remember for a fact. (also he’s really bad at the game, like borderline bronze)

Win games. That’s about it. Even with awful stats on Orisa/sigma, i placed plat because i won 6-7 games.

I didnt test role placement so well as i did with pre role q placement, but:

Before role q was a thing, we had 10 placement games, your first placement game was(and still is) at 2350 sr. Every win or loss was basicly ±150 sr. Your performance wasnt really that important. It was mostly win /loss scenerio. Meaning you could play like trash and still place in plat with lucky games. Or place in bronze with plat skill just because you had unlucky games with trolls.

Games after placement were affected with after placement bonus easily amping up to 70 at first game. Then the bonus went slowly down.

I noticed few things is changed in role q. I cant confirm this with hard evidence but it seems that they actualy changed initial placement as its affected by performance a lot more now. Probably because there is only 5 games and old - 150 would not be enough to to place people low or high enough. So now performance and win probably matter equally.

We still have after placement bonus and its actualy double the amount from pre role q. First after placement game can be ±150 sr. This after placement bonus will be affected by your performance. I noticed it was active even when i was in game number 13 after placement as system still probably thought i am not where i belong. Meaning it was probably trying to adjust my sr to match mmr.

I am not exactly sure when mmr forms to be honest. It might at first placement game and then adjust pretty fast as you do placement games. Or maybe its actualy formed after placement? We know that mmr is used in matchmaker to create games. So yeah most likely your first comp game actualy give you 2350± MMR and every next comp game is adjusted. A lot in placement and it will slowly go down.

We of course dont know everything as blizzard probably did few hidden changes after role q was introduce and they didnt say a word about these changes. One example are leavers and sr adjustement in games with them. This was new in role q beta. Never mentioned in dev updates tho. Never confirmed but its there. I have recorded evidence of that.