How do we feel about a Widowmaker rework?

Title.
Full Overhaul of abilities, and no more one-shotting hitscan.

Not asking if you think it’ll happen, just if you think it’s needed. I want to come up with another conceptual rework.

Edit:

Moderator: Locked thread as it derailed into name calling.

12 Likes

IDK about rework, but I’ve made suggestions before about her needing an ally close to her to hit max OHK damage, that way you can also give her 200hp back. Could also possibly make body shots more powerful, but some ‘skill’ people will be upset by that.

I’ve always felt Widow needed way more team utility so it’d be fine if she’s sniping, but if she’s not hitting shots and barely doing anything, there’s at least still some basic benefit to her team. That buff could go both ways, if a teammate is near a Widow they either do marginally higher damage, or gain access to seeing a Venom Mined target, or something. Could give Mine a larger radius (and a spidery audio cue for the enemy to avoid) and call it a day.

I’ve never liked her ult, though it’s great team utility.

One final suggestion for ‘OHKs’ would be to poison her shots, so she does max damage but there’s a slow venom DOT added, so if the victim can get health or healing they live, if not, they die anyway. Headshots could accellerate the DOT, maybe.

Those are just a couple ideas, I’ve never found it necessary for her crit multiplier to be so high on tanks, but that’s maybe another story.
(Can anyone explain the necessity for Widow to be able to 2-tap most of the tanks?)

2 Likes

I’d be down for it. The more I think about it the more I think Widow is a fundamentally flawed hero that shouldn’t be prominent in Overwatch.

In some maps, her “counter” is a widow. If you get to the last point on Havana and their widow is better than yours, GG. May as well go get a cuppa. It’s just bad hero design.

8 Likes

What does OHK mean? I might just be dumb, but i didn’t get that.

One Hit Kill

Ok, I feel like the whole:

seems like it’d make playing widow feel too “weird.” But I can definitely agree on needing to get rid of one hit kills. I’m also thinking of incorporating your “poision” on hit idea in another way.

1 Like

This is a game where you respawn once killed, and you can switch heroes on the respawn … one shots are NOT an issue. They also exist in many other games where you DONT respawn so yeah, no rework needed at all.

And yes, I think Widow is overtuned.

Its the bloated part of her kit. The multiplier is excessive, specially when every hero in this game can contribute to damage. It should be gone imho.

1 Like

I absolutely believe she shouldn’t 1 shot you from 10 miles away, instead let her become a spider and one shot you by getting close

4 Likes

I think it would do a few effective things, including reducing double sniper crossfire/off angles and curbing her solo carry potential, which I think would be good for the game if they also get a team benefit/buff from Widow.

I frankly don’t really care how ‘weird’ it’d feel for her to play her that way, considering she’s enjoyed OP solo shots since about day one, and it feels ‘pretty weird’ to get deleted by her in just a ton of situations, unavoidable sightlines, and matchups. IMO at 200hp she needed a viable hard DPS counter that uses a completely different skillset than her own, but instead of adding that in they just reduced her HP.

Disagree, and OW isn’t like other games, that’s why we are all interested enough to play it (and disagree constantly based on our gaming backgrounds).

2 Likes

Sure. In rainbow 6 seige you can get one-tapped. In valorant you can get one-tapped. This isn’t either of those games. Community has been very vocal on how annoying getting one-tapped in this game is. I think it is a problem, in Overwatch. Even dying to hanzo one-shots is annoying, but he gets “some” leeway for being a projectile hero (still could use some tuning overall imo). But yeah, imo widow one-shots need to go.

4 Likes

Hanzo one shots only annoy me when he’s just spamming shots and one hits me randomly. Or when he is aiming for someone else but hits me instead. The luck kills that he doesn’t deserve, but gets value for anyway.

3 Likes

I get that. Trust me, sometimes I wish for nothing more than to watch certain heroes get gutted and tossed to the ground and just be unplayable (looking at you rat). But when I try to make good conceptual reworks I want them to be enjoyable, not just different. I’d love for widow to maintain her backline oppressor identity while also giving her enemies more room to work around her. That would include making it so that she can’t one-shot people. I’d hate for heroes kits to feel clunky is all.

Why are you nitpicking a comment and throwing a rebuttal when i CLEARLY stated the reason why they are not an issue in the post? Maybe because you have no actual valid reason at all besides “I dont like getting one shotted” ?

Again, bold parts are key:

Question mark.
Yeah nobody likes getting killed, nobody likes losing, nobody likes getting 1 tapped … that is not a valid reason to rework Widowmaker AT ALL.
Proof/Reason is on my comment, dont be disingenuous and reply like I didnt give it. Now throw some substance for a rebuttal:
Give a VALID reason why this hero with potential one-shotting hitscan should be reworked

PS: Variations/excuses for “I dont like getting one tapped” dont work. Go on.

2 Likes

I don’t want her gutted, either (hence suggesting compensation buffs), but I have very low tolerance for whining from DPS heroes that can easily get the kind of value she does. I didn’t care for it when snipers had to play into double barrier, I don’t care for it if they (god forbid) need to use teamwork to unlock their full value/potential.

My opinion of Widow is Ashe is everything she was supposed to be and better (as well as fairer) by every metric. I see Widow as archaic and redundant in this game (yet she still gets to stay high-value). My biases are I play on PC and find the mid-long range hitscan heroes to be the least interesting/compelling. Also Widow isn’t often personally an issue for me, I am a capable Ball and Winston.

On Junkrat, he might just be the hero with the most counters in the game : P

1 Like

I suppose what you missed is that Overwatch isn’t as tactical of a shooter as the two games I mentioned. At it’s heart, Overwatch has always been a casual game, the games started to lose it’s following the more people wanted it tuned to hitscans and it started to feel a lot closer to - again - the two games I mentioned. It’s not that I didn’t see your reasoning in your initial comment, it’s just that the answer is so blatantly obvious it didn’t need much more explanation other than just mentioning those games. Overwatch isn’t a tactical shooter like r6 or valorant or csgo. People come here to have fun, and believe it or not, getting one-shot, respawning, and getting one-shot again, isn’t fun.

When I said rat I meant hamster not Junkrat, lol. I call him a rat often.

You can come up with one, I love hearing these types of things. But if she needs or could use one? Then no.

2 Likes

It’s only a casual game if you play it casually.

It’s a 6v6 PvP multiplayer first person shooter.

If you don’t have the drive to improve yourself, then you might just want to wait for OW2 PvE.

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Sure, I can also take Among Us a game that’s fairly casual at it’s heart, and try-hard at it. Whatever that would entail. I think most people would agree that Overwatch “was” more of a fun game rather than a, go tryhard or diehard game. Yeah it has got its ranked and OWL. And the more the game was tuned to please OWL the worse the game got. Says something imo. “Overwatch is a casual game that can be played competitively”, is how I view it.

Compared to a game like Valorant, I’d say it’s hard to play Valorant “casually” because in that game there are so many things you need to absolutely do if you want to even have a chance at succeeding.

2 Likes

Your premise: one shots aren’t an issue in Overwatch
Ours: they are.

Careful with your assumptions, lest they be wrong. There are plenty of posts on why one-shots are bad for this game, and I’d like to suggest you read them.

To be charitable to you, perhaps the best argument against them is when there’s a skill gap (as there often is with the matchmaker), you can’t learn from them and respond to them. They have no counterplay, they can only be pre-empted. Getting hitscan one-shot on one of many longer sightlines from a hero that doesn’t need to put themselves into danger in an objective-based game is horrible balance, imo.

Reaper can one-shot and (relatively) nobody takes issue with that, because you have to be snuggling up to his guns for him to do that.

Widow’s biggest issue is actually her grapple