How do I reduce my ping?!

I’m on NA server in California and connected via Lan but I still have roughly a high ping vs others that play in same server.

I’m using around 50 on my ping and I see others around 30 to 35 in my server.

50 ms is a pretty normal ping.

6 Likes

I would recommend using an ethernet cable to get a stable connection.

If you’re running wireless, then make sure there’s nothing interfering with the connections. Maybe turn off any idle devices that use wireless or make sure no downloads are in progress.

1 Like

Ping is based on geography. if your closest server is further than another player then that’s on them

1 Like

youre lucky to have such low ping.

today, my ping has been DISGUSTING its almost at 100 and above all the time I can barely play overwatch.
it almost never happens.

1 Like

You don’t need less than 50. You’re fine. You won’t notice a difference.

You don’t have to be a pro to notice the difference between 30 and 50.

You realize you’re talking about 20 milliseconds ?

Your hyperbole is astounding. :man_facepalming:

You could try port forwarding?
Maybe it will improve your ping?

Sometimes you may need to figure out why and where there is any delay in a connection. A good way to do this is by running a WinMTR test:

WinMTR instructions:

1. Download WinMTR from Download WinMTR-v092.zip (WinMTR) (Console players need a Windows Desktop Computer connected to the same network as their console to do this.)
  2. Unzip the WinMTR.zip file to the Desktop.
  3. Open the WinMTR folder and select the 32 or 64 bit version. Choose whichever one corresponds to your version of Windows.
  4. Run the WinMTR.exe
  5. Type the IP address you want to trace in the “Host” field. To get the correct IP you will actually need to open up the game and go Practice Vs AI or Quick Play and if you are on PC hit Ctrl+Shift+N and it will bring up the ingame network diagnostic graph, or go to Video > Options > Display Network Performance Graph if you are on any platform including Console. In the top left corner is the IP address you want to run WinMTR to.
    Network Graph
    note When looking at the IP it will show up ingame as something like 12.34.56.78:12345. You will want to leave the last 5 digits and the colon at the end off and the IP you want to use is just the 12.34.56.78
  6. Once you notice the connection issue while playing, play for about 6 more minutes, minimize the game and click on “Stop”.
  7. Click on “Copy text to clipboard”, then return to this forum thread.
  8. Type two sets of four squiggly lines and then paste the contents of the WinMTR test between: ~~~~ Paste WinMTR Test Results Here ~~~~

If in the event you can’t even connect to Overwatch and get into any game mode at all, please use one of the following IP addresses based on your geographical region:

• US West - 24.105.30.129
  • US Central - 24.105.62.129
  • Brazil - 54.207.107.12
  • Europe - 185.60.114.159
  • Europe - 185.60.112.157
  • Korea - 211.234.110.1

As a reminder everyone, I have connection optimization tips and other tips to maximize your performance in Overwatch in this pinned thread in the technical support forum:

2 Likes

Thanks for these tips.

This may sound a bit weird, but do you so have some tips on finding the best DPI and ingame sensitivity? I cant seem to find one I’m comfortable with.

My guide I linked, covers a few pointers, but in reality its whatever you feel comfortable with. I myself as a Tracer main, developed my in-game sensativity and DPI around Profit of the London Spitfire overtime (don’t just switch to his settings without working it down) and refined it as necessary.

1 Like

There are times when 20 milliseconds is noticeable. Between 60 and 80 you start seeing abilities fail when they should hit and weird favor the shooter/defender stuff.

O, I didn’t knew that site had the DPI and ingame settings of pros.

Thanks for letting me know. I will give your suggestion a try.

Yep, also be sure to watch the series of Game/Set presented by Omen by HP videos on Overwatch League’s YouTube Channel for more quick tips from the pros.

1 Like

We were discussing between 50 and 30.

Even if your point is valid, it’s not really applicable.

The human mind can easily compensate for such minute differences, as long as they are consistent.

The worst is “ping spikes” where things vary greatly. Other than that you really have no excuse to complain anywhere under 100 ms.

1 Like

Yeah, 50 is pretty normal.
But if you want to improve on that, contact your ISP. Maybe they have a more powerful plan for you.

Other that that? No idea.