How do I get better at overwatch

How to I improve other than just playing the game?
I want to get better.

Watch twitch streams of pro player, look at guides on twitch vods or youtube. Unfortunately there is no way for you to just get better at the game immediately. You have to practice as you would with a real life sport or hobby

Focus on one hero to speed up the process.

1 Like

Don’t main Sym, you’ll get nerfed and die.

There are many factors to consider to improve your overall mechanical skill and developing your overall gamesense.

Tips for improving mechanical skill

A lot of players often neglect this, but learning how to play to maximize the control of your movement is a huge factor. I see that you play on PC and on PlayStation 4.

For PC users, a key focus is developing your ability to control your mouse to have as steady control as possible. This often requires slowly lowering your in-game mouse sensitivity and your Mouse Driver DPI measurement over time. Most pro players often play with extremely low sensitivities like around 2.00 to 3.00 in-game with a 1600 DPI. This takes a lot of practice and slow development and doesn’t just switch your sensitivity drastically as this will feel extremely uncomfortable to play with. I have a detailed guide which covers this in the technical support forum.

For controller players, the concept is in reverse, you want to make your joystick sensitivity as sensitive as you can feel comfortable playing. I don’t have good guidelines for this as I am not a console player, but its more important on consoles to be able to do a 180 degree turn as fast as possible while still be able to steady your aim. KB/M users don’t have this tradeoff as you can control the movement boundry by simply playing on a large surface/mousepad.

With the Overwatch Workshop now available there are dozens of great aim training modes the community has developed which help develop your ability to aim. I personally recommend PMAJelly’s Aim Trainer. Workshop code: XHHRR

Tips for developing your game sense

This takes a lot of time as well, and there is no right or wrong way to go about this. Reviewing your own gameplay is a huge help and with the Overwatch Replay Tool, it is easier than ever. I have been using the Replay tool to stop and go over each of my Competitive Matches and look for the following things:

1. When I died each time.
  2. What was I doing when I died.
  3. How did the opposing player outplay me when I died.

The general guideline to improving your game sense is that every time that you are eliminated, you made a mistake. Now whether that mistake costs in the teamfight or not can be debated in the grand scheme of the team fight, but by focusing on your ability to focus on your survival while still maximizing your ability to get eliminations, you will have a larger impact on the match.

Improving your PC

Again as I mentioned, I have a guide in the technical support forum which goes a LONG way to improving your system and can make a HUGE impact to make your game feel a lot more comfortable to play. I encourage you to check out the tips here if you primarily play on the PC platform:

2 Likes

Thank you for the guide, Myst. Bookmarking this.