How do I deal with Genji smurfs?

Every comp game I play, there’s always a god tier genji on the enemy team that will destroy mine all game. No one can focus on him, no one cares, but he will tear through the healers and dps like it’s a bot game. I don’t know what to do about it, I can’t get anywhere in any of my ranks because genji dominates me. Who am I suppose to play into genji? How can I keep track of him if he’s always dashing through me and jumping ontop of my head while hitting me? This isn’t fair, I’m sick and tired of smurfs.

1 Like

Usually these types of Genji’s completely shred down the supports or they feed of tanks to ultbot.

Best way to counter Genji’s that like to jump around is to use CC, preferably HALT or something like that with an AoE.

1 Like

If I’m a DPS, what should I do? So far I’ve tried Mccree and always flash bang myself or Doom and usually die before I can land a punch. I could try Sym but I don’t really see anyone else with the HP and stopping force who would be effective against him.

1 Like

Doom is quite hard to work with against Genji.

Mccree is indeed a good pick, though the range might be hard to judge sometimes. IIRC there was a workshop code that shows the range of a flashbang, that might help you with learning the flashbang a bit better.

Apart from that Törbjorn’s turret is really annoying because it can practically remove his deflect and he needs to hide alot because it opresses open spaces. He needs to finish that turret usually first before he can attack others if he isn’t healed constantly or if he isn’t with his team.

Sym really isn’t that useful against him anymore sadly enough.

Genji VS Genji is always annoying between the Genji’s though that depends on how good one Genji is so we can scrap that.

If you’re a good Junk player then i’d say you could also work greatly against Genji. Traps, if well hidden on flank routes can prove fatal for the Genji. If they come after you then you should shoot via a wall or the ground instead of directly at the Genji.

A big part of what Genji’s do is predict, if they learn to read others well enough then they can use it to their advantage, so make sure they don’t know what your next move is.

We also have Mei/Sombra but those effects can get cancelled easily so i wouldn’t really recommend them unless you’re good with them.

if you are dps, you play torb echo pharah or even solder with healing. mcree recquires much aim to land this.
it is team effort. you should grav a nano genji like always or be ready with defensive ult
if you are support mercy is annoying to deal with, moira can fight back or lucio is too fast to kill

2 Likes

Echo is also pretty good against him. Not only can she dodge much more nimbly and less predictably than Pharah (who also mentioned is pretty good against him on most high maps), her E beam will melt Genji instantly when he’s at half HP, reflect or not.

if youre a support you play moira, tank zar, dps mei/sombra/doom.

I think Sombra is low key the best counter. Just treat Genji like Doomfist and invis until you see him, hack, kill, repeat.

A good Genji can keep beam heros at bay. I played against Winston/Zarya/Moira/Brig and a cycle of Torb/Sym/Mei/McCree yesterday and came out with 45 elims 3 deaths. They never went Sombra and I think that’s what ultimately would have made me swap but with a Mercy who kept an eye on me and my saving dash to get away none of the other stuff really slowed me down.

My suggestion, pick a counter, do your best to learn how they play and try to deal with them. If you’re going to get shredded anyways, might as well gain some useful experience playing against a higher rank player. Take it in stride, no point getting mad over something you have no control over.

Cree is the best counter I have found or Sombra. Cree is much better though since sombra requires your team to actually help you most of the time. If Genji is deflecting and you are in the open don’t flash because it won’t work even if you throw it at your feet. Try bait him against a wall and throw it at the wall as he dashes to you. Alternatively, bait out his deflect with a FTH, after 2 shots he’s going to deflect so turn to the floor to not damage yourself. After he deflects, if he has used dash Reload then flash and FTH. Or roll, flash fth.
If he has dash after you baited deflect, he’s going to use it. So you have 2 options. 1st is wait for him to dash, roll backwards and flash him the fth him or try to flash and FTH him before he dashes.

As DPS…Torb turret covering the backline.

It will just make it harder for the Genji to be.bold.

Remember, when playing McCree against a Genji, fake the flash by using melee, not always, but sometimes it causes them to use their deflect early. Also, you don’t have to hit them directly for the flash to work. If you know where to throw it, you can stun them out of deflect.

You should play brig. Here is a face cam of the opposing genji if you play brig against him.

2 Likes

Maybe Brig about 3 nerfs ago

1 Like

Reaper is my go to char vs Genji smurfs, don’t know why, but usually ends up in my favor more often than not, could try Mei or Junk, but that’s personal preference, and might not be the best pick vs the other 5 players on the enemy team.

Any dps hero will work, except symmetra.
Its more about personal skill, not hero choice.

Even Bastion works. Actually Symmetra is quite decent against Genji, those turret if placed correctly really screw him lol

Flashbang radius is so massive, literally no need in doing that. Just dont throw it into Genji’s face

Well, if he is truly a “god smurf” like you claim, not much you will do that will affect the outcome. Any turret placement, counter you go for is going to be predictable to this player as he has seen it already many times and will quickly destroy it and you. Playing genji from several tiers above as a main and smurfing down below is pretty much a, you move on to the next game. Welcome to Overwatch? This has been going on since about season 5, the only thing that changes is which character is used really.

If you are a dps you choices are limited. Support players can go Brig, Lucio or Moira to close the skill gap. Any Tank is good against Genji because of their HP.
The DPS I would play against a smurf Genji who is destroying me are Sombra, Mei, Torbjörn, Bastion, Phara and so on. Going McCree works against your own rank but it’s a skill based match up.

1 Like

I would like to see these games :sweat_smile: