How do aimbots work?

Unfortunately for us, obvious cheats don’t last long, and cheaters have had years and years of time to refine their cheating techniques. Very often a cheater using a bot will not instantly look like they’re using a bot to cheat. It is very subtle and can look very humanlike. You have probably seen way more cheaters than you realize.

1 Like

the good ones have pixel detection so they are harder to identify. They also toggle on and off for the same reason.

The way it usually works is they get their aimer close to their target and then the aimbot snaps on the target when left click is is pressed before firing and stays there for the duration until the left click is released.

It looks pretty robotic when done with a tracer but its harder to detect with widow.

I encountered a few, and interesting enough, there are some out which works pretty good for projectile heroes as well.

I remember two incidents on low account Genji players. Bad movement, but he micro-adjusted each time on his M1 when he released a shuriken, so basically adjusted 3-4 times on 1 click to get headshots done.

I had a Hanzo low level account in my team with a 91% hit accuracy (lol). We “threw” on Anubis for a Draw once it was kind of clear he is cheating. I mean which Hanzo goes into enemy territory without a pocket to kill their hardcounters?

Other then that, the last i witnessed was a hitscan Cree player. U aint gonna tell me a midranked player is gonna pop 6-7 heads in a row. Not even Wanted is this good. Also dead giveaway: when he randomly rightclicks into the air to drop accuracy + his stun rightclicks were extremely accurate on replay.

I think generally when a cheater is shooting the air or the ground, its a pretty good giveaway of a bad cheater. At least they didnt pay or use the better or expensive ones which might only trigger when they are close to hitting a headshot, and they only hit maybe 1 out 3 shots (triggerbot).

Cheaters are losers, and should be IP and hardware banned once they get detected imo.

This can indicate a triggerbot, not an aimbot, at least sometimes.

Triggerbots just click the trigger when the crosshair is over a target. Very powerful for someone like Widow, and harder to detect. Triggerbotting players will sweep the crosshair over targets to hit them.

1 Like

Absolutely- it can be either.

I was simply stating that aim bots are getting to the point of sophistication that they’ll do this too.

Is this an aimbot? This happened to me in a Mystery DM match recently, as soon as this player rolled a Mercy (who is pretty difficult to do much with in the mode) their model started shifting crazy fast that I couldn’t land hooks/shots, and they kept netting headshots. This is their perspective through replay, especially their aim jumps around really robotic-like when they’re reloading:

Not sure if I should report or not.

Based on what is seen in that video alone, I would report it as a suspected aimbot. However I much rather see the match replay in full. Working off of one instance of a 1v1 is too inconclusive.

Also I don’t know what you mean by “Lag Switch or Lag” in the thumbnail of the video. Lag Switching is ineffective for a peer-to-server game like Overwatch (only for Peer-to-Peer games).

So why my Reports for Cheating isn’t Successfully? I don’t see Green Message…

Because they aren’t cheating perhaps?

Cheating is a serious issue for Blizzard to handle. Unless there is a detected known hack, cheating has to be carefully investigated by an entire separate depart at Blizzard.

But I seen that Ashe Flick and seem Unatural for People to do like that Move. Which it was Instantly Flick no Frame Per just like Instantly. She just did Aim at Ground but Shoot on Head, and got Headshot.

Yeah, when I first uploaded I thought it might have something to do with lag, or that the player might be using lag hacks or something to gain an advantage, didn’t occur to me it might be an aimbot.

When I reviewed the rest of the players gameplay it actually looked pretty normal, up until they rolled the Mercy. Then they started killing multiple players in a row, I was thinking the player either was trolling to stomp other players with Mercy in a mode where she’s considered weak, or only used their aimbot when they rolled heroes that are considered weak in the mode or that they’re personally not as good with.

Once again, I implore looking for consistent performance throughout the match. There can be lucky swing hits at any moment of the match. Hell I got accused of aimbotting last night with Torbjorn because I instinctively 180’d when I heard an enemy behind me and secured the headshot.

Its fine to report if you suspect something, but don’t feel bad if nothing comes out of that report.

In general, lagging has no advantage whatsoever. This is because the positioning of each hero, in the long run, is determined by server. Lag switching is a hardware trick where a person modifies a network cable to partially break by flipping a switch, forcing them to “teleport” as a dirty way to evade getting hit. However, it can only work in peer-to-peer games where the positioning is dictated by each individual game console.

2 Likes

Interesting, the reason I thought they might be lag switching in the first place was that they seemed to be shifting quickly in place making it hard to shoot them (almost like teleporting, at least my shots seemed to be slower than their movement). Maybe the aimbots wildly aim flicking moves the model around a lot to make it seem that way? Or are aimbots also used for super fast strafing which in tandem with the jumpy robotic aim make an enemy difficult to hit? You can kinda see in the video how Mercy’s position seems to jump shift suddenly to the sides.

I don’t have a lot of experience with detecting hackers but I get the green notification pretty often.

Accuracy alone isn’t an indicator of hacking…

As a former “aimbotter”, I have lots of experience with cheat software.

They are as diverse as any other program, and are a lot more sophisticated today than they were 15-20 years ago.

The best advice given in this thread is:

Basically it auto aims each time you fire for you, to hit your target directly in the head which is a one shot.

I laughed so hard at this, such an out of season April fool’s joke. RuneScape has better control of the bots and cheaters on their game, which is an insult all on it’s own.

So, with the game’s algorithm.

I don’t buy anyone having 67% accuracy on a high spread character like sombra over the course of more than 25 hours of playing her.

Nearly Plat border and I’ve only encountered a couple handful of obvious aimbotters. Some are blatant, others not as much so. I’ve got one video clip of a very blatant one with the names censored as to avoid a witch hunt:

This way if you’re curious as to what an aimbotter looks like when they are obvious, you can see.