How different would Overwatch be with

They did had fall damage at one point, but Blizzard removed it because it just didn’t work due to how frustrating it was to a lot of heroes especially Pharah.

This would hurt Lucio too much.

It is frustrating to play with and that’s why it was taken out I think. That’s also why every hero has unlimited ammo

yea right, lets weaken Pharah even more smh

I would quit the game if they did a terrible thing like that. That is a nerf to all 30 heroes.

Respawn
Genji: ANGELA! UGh ahhh Ughh i need healing.

We actually tried falling damage in early development of Overwatch. We ran into problems with characters like Widowmaker, Reaper and Pharah. With Widowmaker, it felt strange and unintuitive to be able to grapple to high places but not be able to jump down without taking damage. We found ourselves grappling back down to lower points, which was awkward. Pharah was really odd. If you didn’t feather your jets right before touching the ground you would splat. And with Reaper, we kept teleporting to high locations with no ability to get safely down.

For awhile, we kept exempting characters from fall damage. But pretty soon, it felt arbitrary who would take fall damage and who was immune so we removed the mechanic completely.

224 Likes

what made you guys decided on having fixed inertia, instead of more traditional acceleration you see in fpses like tf2?

3 Likes

The #1 best design choice of this game.

Fall damage would be so bad

20 Likes

Jeff! its so interesting to know that fall damage was tested out in the development of overwatch.

3 Likes

Wrecking Ball would be useless that’s what would happen.

1 Like

An excellent decision!

Would you consider letting players see health pack locations through walls in a 50m radius? Think if there were 100 Overwatch maps in play. Don’t you think it would be cumbersome and unfun to remember all of the health pack locations? Thank you for your consideration :slight_smile:

PLEASE REVERT SYM, I BEG YOU… Please. :frowning:

1 Like

How different would Overwatch be if after playing for 3 years the game din’t feel like an outdated game?

It would still be fun and worth the time.

Jeff, if you bring back fall damage, I want every hero to have a quote about how painful fall damage is. I can hear Tracer, the loving woman and waifu she is, cursing up a storm about her almost losing her legs from a fall.

2 Likes

It think it would be a whole different game and a whole different amount of fun.

Have you ever considered adding it back in for custom games? Sometimes the current sliders can make the game feel a little small and limit the idea for many interesting custom ideas.

Edit: also is there any plan to fix the forum bug where if a dev or mod posts on a thread, the reply button doesnt work unless you press the arrow itself.

1 Like

I think it was the right choice but I don’t see the problem with having to grapple down or using propulsion to stop falling momentum, Reaper though… yeah, good call!

I think you meant… unintended locations? :laughing:
Good old Shadow step bug fixes.

5 Likes

Good call. Overwatch feels like a game that doesn’t need fall damage; it’s not a realistic type military game, so leaving that mechanic out is great.

6 Likes

Oh shoot, I wasn’t expecting to get a reply from Jeff himself. The main reason I even made the post was because I was watching TF2 videos and kept seeing the fall damage each character suffered from. Then it went to a thought process of how could it be used in Overwatch.

2 Likes

I play a game with fall damage; it’s awful. When I started playing OW, I always took the long way down to safety instead of jumping because I though there was fall damage. Took me a bit to realize that was not the case.