How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 9)

This implies that the 6v6 rank is seeded by normal competitive. The 2700 -> 3101 is a bit odd though. Maybe a performance modifier effect?

Assuming that I’m right that 6v6 being seeded by normal competitive, it would likely be because it is very difficult to find people’s true ranks after a full competive reset in only a few weeks of play.

I don’t think it’s that odd honestly. If it’s anything like capture the flag was, it basically takes your MMR from comp as a starting point, but without the certainty level attached to it. So, the fluctuations can be pretty heavy. Had one account place 4-500 above rank, and another that went below by nearly as much.

1 Like

That would make sense. Thanks.

2 Likes

So we have an answer:
MMR. Now, if only they could show us our MMR and what “rank” that stands for… that way we can avoid confusion in the future. To keep the system fair, every so many seasons, MMR should be reset, given that the majority of players are in Platinum and lower. Diamond consists of 10%, Master 5%, and GM 1% of Overwatch Players. I found this under the forums posted by a Blizzard employee, for reference (it won’t let me put a link in for some reason).

You can post links by surrounding it in ``. My links show up in blue because I’m at forum trust level three. I'm a Level 3 User now?!.

I’m aware of the rank stats post. See the OP, “Ranks” section.

Also, see the “MMR/SR Reset” section for why that would be a bad idea.

1 Like

Awesome job, even more so since it looks like you´re updating this. Kudos to you for practically writing a scientific paper on the subject o/

1 Like

Does this refer to the standard ELO calculation where beating a higher-ranked player will result in a large ELO gain, while losing to a lower-ranked player results in a large ELO loss?

Yes.

20 characters…

Not OP, but yes. In any reasonable ranking system, beating someone who was estimate to be better than you will provide a larger jump than beating someone who was estimated to be worse than you.

It really shoudn’t. I guess you didn’t play comp at the start, but there is nothing “fair” about a rank reset. It’s just chaos. Assigning a mostly random rank to everyone. It also makes it very difficult to climb (at first) as ranks are so inaccurate, games are not even close to balanced, and making the difference to create is extra hard.

Early on, I had to wait a couple of weeks for ranks to settle somewhat before I could reasonably climb.

A small percentage of players would be happy they lucked into a higher rank, everyone else would just deal with worse games.

There are a lot of complaints in the forums about losing lots of SR for a loss and gaining little for a win. I assume this is the explanation rather than some automatic system of extra penalties for losing.

Unless people are ranked towards the end of the scale or are playing in an unpopular region/platform/time, the matchmaker generally finds a match that it thinks is fair. So Elo type effects won’t come up. Asymmetries is win vs loss are more often because of performance modifiers. However, as my summary says, it is often difficult to diagnose exactly why a particular person is having a particular result without playing a lot of games, recording results carefully, and asking the right questions.

1 Like

Does losing the first placement match have any effect on the outcome of your rank? (Say you have pretty solidified mmr). When placing other accounts it seemed like if I lost the first one my mmr bracket would be bumped down the next game.

Also, Is there a negative effect to losing your first 5 games in a row during placements, and then winning the last 5 in a row? Will this make you relatively where you ended even with the long streaks?

Please post new questions in How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 10). I will not be updating this thread anymore. I will reply to your question there.

2 Likes

sigh…

I WAS JUST LINKING YOUR SEASON 9 EXPLANATION.

Anyways thank you very much for the hard work. This is much needed

1 Like

Honestly, I get you’ve done your homework and that’s a lot of collected info… but I don’t think all things they’ve said reflect the truth of the hidden MMR.

It’s unfortunate that they won’t come out and say it…but I suspect the most likely reason is they’ve got a factor in to give an edge to accounts that’ve spent a lot of $$$ on the game.

is this still true? >

No. See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 12).

2 Likes

MMR is nothing but a handicapping system designed to make Competitive Overwatch addictive, rather than fair and objective. SR is meaningless with MMR present.

Mans writing a full page paper on overwatch and even included a bibliography. lmfaoo

I’m glad you necro’d a thread from February of 2018 and last replied to in September of 2018. Season 9 no less and we’re in Season 14.

Kudos to you sir.

/s