How Competitive Skill Rating Works - Season 17

The point is it’s the player who makes the difference especially when they are playing far below or above their SR, not a rigged matchmaker and quite frankly your stats are very plat.
I’m sorry but no mid master player would have a lvl 900 account in almost gold with such a poor accuracy and low elims per life.
The average mid master player does not believe in rigged matchmaking, elo hell or conspiracy theories, only the boosted ones do.

1 Like

Squirrel’s interpretation is correct. In addition, note that Jeff has said once again that SR is in no way used in matchmaking, so any theory that involves looking at the difference between MMR and SR to set up matches is incorrect.

1 Like

(Ignore the following 3 paragraphs if you are interested in the topic and not some petty stat shaming)
Dude, are you reading the wording that THEY have said, and that is reinterpreted in Green by our MVP-chan here, or you are just judging me by my stats?

Let’s talk a bit about the latter. Firstly, I’ll be back in a couple of days off the mountain and will post from my other acc just so that you can bite your tongue. Secondly, you are looking at my last season stats (where I’m duoing with a friend and playing as a DPS mostly - while Diamond was reached on this acc off tanking) - but I guess we’ll take the current stats by face value and go with that. Thirdly, avg stats don’t mean squat out of 2 reasons: a)If you started as a silver player (and were there for about a year) and then clawed up do diamond - your avg stats will look like a plat-gold for the next year or so. The friend who I am playing with now currently reached plat, but his avg.stats look like a midgold (on most stat comparison websites), so I guess he should stop winning games with ham so that the stat gods are pleased. If you take a look at our Reference-Prophet’s stats here (Kaawumba) with slight-interchangability we’d have about the same avg.Total Coefficient - yet we are 300 SR apart currently. b)avg. Stats have 0 real-game translation, as you can see from streamers that stick long enough for the medals to pop-up and be compared to their career avg. Ignoring daily performance, flow, comp/team-mates luck is ignoring the reality of how this game is played. Furthermore, thinking that accuracy or high damage translates into wining games is just another step in the direction (totally ignoring gamesense/positioning and not wanting to feed ult).

It is funny (but also sad) that you got caught upon trying to discredit me more than you did arguing on the topic at hand.

Now back to it, if the player is the one making up the difference, then the matchmaker should account for that and aim for that 50% win rate anyway (by perhaps matching them against another smurf). The other 11 players suffer because one player needs to climb or drop down to a rank the internal system thinks they should be in. It is abhorrent to me how people continuously blame the community and it’s individual behavior on win/loss streaks, and do not for a second think that there might be something rotten in Sweden. I wonder why such streaks and MMR swings almost never happen in the other 3 major Esports games.

@Kawuumba, if Sr and MMR are totally unrelated, can you elaborate how the Personal SR adjustment Bellow diamond works?

Also, as noted multiple times in your collection, by yourself, there is multiple instances of conflicting information coming from different places of the OW staff. So, why, Oh why, would you believe Jeff on anything that he says(?!), when he (and the rest) have gone back and around on their words countless times on things that were this way, or that way, or were never going to happen in the game.
As noted by yourself, you usually just pick one side to believe that seems most plausible to You, so that you can get some semblance of truth and stability in your arguments. Non of this has been empirically tested with a satisfactory sample size, nor have the real specifics of the matchmaking algorithm ever been published to put an end to this debate.

Tbh, I only wanted to have a civil debate but that seems to be imposilbru on this forum as the favorite argument (see: fallacy) of choice is either ad-homimem or faulty generalizations. Henceforth, expect me to pick apart and list ALL the contrary information that are contained above when I am back in civilization.

These matches are absent in player profile, but SR change is there.

For the sake of clarification, which of the following statements do you believe to be more accurate?

-The matchmaker cannot have an accurate MMR in all scenarios. When the MMR assigned to a player is inaccurate, it leads to rigged matches that may be unwinnable/unlosable for other players in the match.

-The matchmaker knows enough about players to calculate accurate win percentage chances for both sides. The matchmaker intentionally places players on sides that are more or less likely to win a match to force them to reach a desired SR number.

1 Like

I didn’t say that SR and MMR are totally unrelated. I said that SR is not used in matchmaking. If you want to understand this, you really need to try harder to read what is written.

I don’t know exactly how performance based SR adjustment works, since Blizzard hasn’t said and my attempts to reverse engineer it have not been successful. One possible answer, though, is that both SR and MMR get performance modifiers independently, but if SR gets too far away from MMR, SR gets pushed in the direction of MMR (this second part has been verified, for decay and the match leaving penalty).

I give my arguments on which statements on SR vs MMR are more technically correct in the original post, so I will not repeat them here.

If Jeff’s statements are to be ignored, then the conversation is over. Without Jeff’s statements, proving the actual existence of MMR would be difficult (and practically impossible after decay is removed from the game next patch).

The streaks and stomps are are fully consistent with a non-rigged system, with only one match-making-rating, and I have done substantial analysis.

Overwatch Forums and https://www.reddit.com/r/OverwatchUniversity/comments/aatezy/why_match_quality_is_frequently_poor/

Note, however, that role queue should reduce streak length, SR swing, and stomp frequency.

1 Like

And if a players MMR is “wrong” and too high… then what? And who or what decides that a players MMR is “wrong?”

But how does the MMR get “too high” (or low). I mean, that player PLAYED and got a certain MMR.

Also, from what i’ve observed over 3 years. You don’t get put with stronger opponents AND allies. You just get worse allies. I’ll climb with decent teammates for a week, and then suddenly the good players disappear. No one can make a comp. People throw at the start of a match. And the overall quality of teammates drops SO drastically and THAT is the reason my win rate approaches 50%.

you can’t fake a win, but you can always throw a match

all 11 people in your match have no permanent influence over your SR.

this is probably observational biased to be frank

ladder isn’t about making a comp, it’s about navigating the chaos

the reason your win rate approaches 50% is because that is how ranking/ladder systems work. The more you win, the harder the matches get. The more you lose the easier the matches get.

Hmm, trying to figure out why the games at 2400 on the way UP to 2600 were so easy, yet now i’m seeing impossible games at 2300 when the system seemed to decided for me that i didn’t belong at 2600. It certainly wasn’t the enemy team at 2600. But the good comps, good coms, and decent people that i was getting as teammates on the way up sure disappeared. Is everyone at a higher rank all the sudden a bunch of toxic players who start throwing at the start of a match for 10 games in a row?

All i can say is, what you describe is NOT what i’m seeing.

Is the game intended to be HARDER at 2100 than 2600? That’s what i see. Oh, until suddenly i’m playing with a bunch of toxic fools and get to start the cycle all over again.

What i’m seeing is, you rank up and have fun games until suddenly you deserve a bunch of instantly toxic teammates, seemingly because the system itself has decided you don’t belong up there. I’m not seeing tougher enemies, or better teammates at a higher rank. I’m seeing just… toxic teammates all day, every day until my win rate is 50%.

And since that is something that’s hard to prove without having you actually play 100’s of games with me. I guess my story is all i’ve got. Same with others who’ve said something similar. I believe them. I don’t think gamers are idiots who can’t tell a good teammate from a bad teammate. The same way a basketball team made up of toxic players who can’t even shoot straight would be easy to spot after you’ve just played with a bunch of good, decent players for a few days.

1 Like

Zelda my friend I am reading what you have been saying and I can tell that you are getting the real deal. Ignore these people who are feeding this hog-wash that this matchmaker is functioning, they are like flat Earther they cannot be convinced even when evidence is in front of them.

I have recently proven that this matchmaker is a broken stinky mess, I recorded GM player to play on a platinum account and challenge him to make it to just 3300. He could not. He spent so many hours just trying to get this account out of plat, and then finally when he make it to diamond (should be easy part) he give up and then lost his mind. I am not even kidding I have video evidence.

We can only pray that the new matchmaker is working and not terrible broken stink-park.

oh that’s really easy to answer. MMR is a relative system. 2300 three months ago is not the same as 2300 today. Also, right in the middle is prone to more volatility because that’s where new accounts are placed. So a lot of people don’t belong at 2350, but are place there anyway because it’s a brand new account.

You can figure this out. Invert the language.

To say that MMR is wrong, is to say that MMR does not match a player’s actual skill. This is obviously the case for all new players. It can also be the case if a player changes in skill, but hasn’t played much competitive since, or if a player gets lucky/unlucky and wins/loses games through the actions of other players. Finally, MMR and skill bounce around from game to game, so it is only occasional that they actually match exactly.

Each match is a measurement to see, “Should this players MMR be higher or lower? By how much?”

You’ve been hallucinating cause and effect for three years. The system isn’t trying to hold you to “where it thinks you should be”. It is just trying to put equally skilled players together. It doesn’t always do a good job.

1 Like

I’m not going to rehash that argument here. People that care can read 2800 to 3300 Challenge. The only thing I can’t tell about you is how many of your lies you actually believe.

1 Like

There’s no such thing as an “impossible game” at 2300, unless you legitimately belong in gold

1 Like

Yes please read the thread that is posted, and especially the title which says 2800 to 3300 and this person stop at 3070.

If you watch this video you should be able to clearly see this person is playing far beyond 2800 yet struggle game after game for hours upon hours just to get to simple 3070. it is proof your beloved matchmaker is stinky garbage. I look up the stats of the player, he was playing ashe and was rank better than 99% of player in plat, yet still struggle just to raise SR.

You have called me a liar but I do not lie and that is what you do here every day. You did not even watch the videos I am betting to see this person struggle or you would know how broken your stinker is.

Let us hope your next try is less stinky.

Hey guys just as a follow up, I personally will not be immediately starting a new topic for the Role Queue Beta season. One reason is that I want to do some serious research into the new system (since PTR was a bit inconsistent) and get a better idea of how matchmaking ratings, placement matches, etc. are working.

If you need a general reminder to the changes of Competitive Play with Role Queue please see the official Blog Post on PlayOverwatch.com and the Role Queue Developer Update Video.

So do we still need to play at least 10 games to get the season reward at the end ? I dont know how it works now sorry >< can someone explain please ?

No problem, right now with the new Role Queue system, you must complete 5 games in any one of three possible roles (Damage, Tank, or Support) and that will qualify for the spray, player icon, and bonus competitive points for that role. Please note that if you complete 5 placement matches in each of the three possible roles (for a total of 15 matches), you can earn more bonus competitive points.

Role Queue Beta does NOT have any special spray or player icon as this is a 2-week season which will not count to your long-term Competitive record. It also will have a smaller point payout in comparison to what a regular 2-month season will have.

Once season 18 begins, you will be able to earn the following bonus Competitive Point breakdowns:

Skill Tier Old Payouts CP Per Role All Three Roles*
Bronze 65 25 75
Silver 125 50 150
Gold 250 100 300
Platinum 500 200 600
Diamond 750 300 900
Master 1200 450 1350
Grandmaster 1750 650 1950

*This assumes you place at the same rank for all three roles.

So if I just want the spray and player icons, all I need to do is just complete 5 games in 1 of the roles ?

Correct.