How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 14)

The system blizzard has bellow Diamond is there to help people climb and get rid of smurfs as fast as possible. So placing people with similar mmr in game doesnt make any sense. I have done some runs in past on accounts placed lower. I pretty much spot another smurf/alt instantly in lower ranks. And in majority of games there was nobody on enemy team to balance me while my mmr was probably 1000 + higher than SR. How would alt accounts climb so fast if there would be someone same as you in term of mmr on enemy team every time? I have similar experience in low plat now. Sometimes i have games when we are getting steamrolled because enemy team has much better players, basicly all 6 of them. Its just happen because its luck based or random you can say. Or another example. I had many games where we had new accounts already placed in same rank. Once enemy team had 3 smurfs from high elo with level 27+ while we had same amount of people who were new to the game. There was insane mmr gap in teams. So there is no way system is working with mmr instead of actualy SR outside of placement.

System just find another 11 players and place you in game in a way where teams would have same SR, mmr is Irelevant for matchmaker if he has SR. Mmr is used there for SR gain or loss, . Just like blizzard said in past. And its my experience too. Lvl 2500+ in here :slight_smile:

Below diamond, it is impossible to have MMR 1000 above SR. The only way this can happen is severe decay, such as happened with Seagull in season 10.

You seem to be under the expectation that MMR is a very accurate representation of your skill, even on a new, recently reactivated, or shared account. This is not the case.

If you have a diamond player, who dominates a few bronze games, the matchmaker does not know that he is a diamond player. It only knows that he is better than the people he is playing against. So the game raises his MMR a significant (but not giant) amount and he plays another match against and with players of his new MMR. If he again dominates, the game continues to push up his MMR and he continues to play higher opponents, until he stops dominating.

This happened here: Streamer Data - Google Sheets → The500IQ 14. SR is going up 50-100 per game, and MMR is moving up a similar amount. If MMR was moving up much faster than SR, then team SR would be a lot lower than enemy SR (like happened during Seagull’s recovery from decay).

Once The 500IQ started having trouble in plat, his MMR and SR stopped shooting up (even though a GM is playing the account).

You seem to be accusing me of believing Cuthbert’s handicapping theory. I do not. Read the second post in his thread (by me). Again, once you acknowledge that MMR is not accurate on new, recently reactivated, or shared accounts, things will get much clearer.

1 Like

I was wondering if Kaawumba or anyone else knows if PBSR is used when you are still ranked diamond but your SR is below 3000. You have to be below 3000 for five matches before you’re put in plat, so during those matches is PBSR used?

It doesn’t really affect much, I’m just curious.

My humble contribution to the topic focused on Placement Matches:

Thanks again Kaawumba for your help!

1 Like

My data doesn’t have a clear answer.

In Overwatch Forums and Groups and Matchmaking in Overwatch Scott describes it as being tier (plat/diamond) not SR (3000+) that is the relevant quantity. But Scott isn’t always super precise in the way that he says things, so take this with a grain of salt.

As promised, 100 games worth data.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IDNzfQU5XOgwAfC7YF_uHh5KKVpjRW3rAW6YRZteMwM/edit?usp=sharing

To add to that, even though it’s not super reliable data, for my Pharah and my Orisa, my individual performance has always been way over the average player of my rank according to, Oversumo, Omnicmeta and Overbuff…

Thanks. Your average gain on win is 23.10 +/- 0.49 and loss on defeat is -21.78 +/- 0.45, so this is a bit below the expected value of +/- 24. Usually when this happens I blame performance metrics, because that is the most opaque part of the system, but it could be something else.

Okay, but we don’t actually know how performance metrics are calculated to influence SR, so it’s really hard to make statements about what sort of changes we should expect based on a given performance.