How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 13)

Im saving all my data for you this season!
Just started placing as a Brigette 1 trick on the smurf (ended 2.5k). My goal is to play 50 games and see where i end up (unless there’s still room for climbing after that).

1 Like

This is very eloquently written. Thank you for compiling and citing (!) all of this.

2 Likes

Kaawumba, FYI. There was a Scott Mercer interview with YouTube Content Creator, “Your Overwatch”, that may have some up-to-date information worthy of your database posted yesterday.

3 Likes

remove PBSR!
Give us a scoreboard!

Thanks. I like watching such videos, but there wasn’t anything relevant to my explainer there. The interviewers don’t usually ask the questions that I’m interested in.

1 Like

Scott mentioned in that video that they are working on post match statistics of some sort.

really? I watched the whole thing, I’m guessing it was around the 3/4 mark, I’ll have to rewatch it, thanks.

It was a short comment, closer to the beginning than the end, under “tools for players looking to improve”. Let me know if you can’t find it and I’ll get a timestamp.

1 Like

I can’t find it, could you help me out?

At 4:25 and following.

1 Like

lol, I just found it before you posted that, thanks! looking forward to that match history!!

Thanks for making this.It should have been too dry to read but it was actually fascinating.

2 Likes

Awesome guide.

Thx for the hard work.

1 Like

Great Post thanks!
I experienced the bug that gives a small amount of SR pts, earned only 3 points after a victory… ( teams with equal SR, no leavers, good stats…)

I have been reading several of your posts on the topic and I’m super impressed!! It also explains some of my frustration with the game. Thanks for putting this together!!

2 Likes

That we have been told or found out yet. I think they do make changes from season to season on the backend… tweeking pbsr and such. Still so much we don’t know as why the models that you have collected here are 100% accurate for everyone.

For a computer model, everything has to be the same to be accurate. There are still extreme outliers to the system’s known constants to lead that there are other secret constants working undiscovered.

Happy New Year, Kaawumba buddy!

Season 14 is here! Time to create your usual update! =)

If you check your SR in the rankings, instead of decayed one it shows you the last known one. So in the ranking list it will say 4200 while the profile will say 3000. Game clearly treats decayed SR’s in a special manner.

Hey Kaawumba, can I use your post for reference in my next Youtube video? I’ll give you credits of course and probably show a quick look at the forum post, so your avatar will be seen. Is that okay with you?

It would be great to know if MMR has been removed or not… No news on that matter?

There is some kind of SR buff applied in some cases:

In recent streamer’s Tesla Bronze to Silver challenge with Moira, he gets clear SR buff up to 95. Here is the list of SR gain/loss:

Bronze (slightly after first placement matches on new account):
+35 +39 45 +48 +59 +64 +82 +78 +79

Silver:
+93 (tenth win in a row)
-15 -13
+32 +33 +30 +32 +40
+30 +27
+33 +34 +30 +32 +40 +40 +50

Gold:
+45 +60 +73 +90 +88 +95

Plat:
+88 +88 +84 +79 +78
-23 -23
+27
+25 +25 +25 +25 (SR gain seems to be blocked already even though Diamond is not fully reached)
+28 (played in duo with a lower SR average)
-24 (same as above even though Tesla individual rank was Diamond with 3002)

Is it just applied for a certain number of competitive games with a new account or on any account? That has to be checked. It makes sense to reward someone drastic increase in skills if coming after a long break of training for example. It wouldn’t otherwise because it would facilitate boosters’ jobs.

In Tesla’s case, there seems to be a difference between the first 10 games studied (that are not exactly the first 10 after initial placement matches, since he has already 3 hours of play and 14 wins on his profile) and after the first two losses. After the losses what I think is more than 30 games after the first placement match, the SR gain is around between 30-33 for 4 games before increasing to 40 on the fifth. Same thing happens later in a 18 wins streak: the first 4 have a similar SR around 32, the next 4 are between 40 to 50 and then it increases again to a new plateau, wider, that goes from 78 to 95.