How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 12)

If you want more detail try this: http://www.moserware.com/assets/computing-your-skill/The%20Math%20Behind%20TrueSkill.pdf

It’s 57 pages of math of MMR type rating systems.

That doesn’t explain how this MMR system works though. I’ve watched videos on the topic and I understand it’s intent is to create matches where there is an equal chance of failure and success, however there also seems to be something in Overwatch’s MMR that causes losing streaks and winning streaks, based on some hidden value. I just know too many people that will climb only to end up where they were at at the beginning of the season. My personal opinion is that after your first placement in competition you shouldn’t have MMR factoring your SR.

I didn’t read it. I’m saying I’m not a complete novice when it comes to MMRs and that Blizzards is a little hanky in respects to how it measures skill levels and SR. And I’m also saying people have so many conspiracy theories about it, because Blizzard refuses to release how it actually works under the guise people will manipulate it, but my question is, why bother, since they already seem to be with so many smurf accounts, or is it just meant to keep low level players from accidentally hitting higher levels, not the other way around?

It’s not as hidden as you’re led to believe by the conspiracy theorists. Smurfs do mess with the system, but that’s not really the system’s fault, is it?

It’s meant to keep people from overranking through manipulation of the system. Smurfs are underranked, different issue.

Though honestly all that anyone needs to know is that you need to win games to move up. It’s a simple message that is unsatisfying because people have unreasonable expectations of the system. Most things people don’t like are trade offs with other things they REALLY don’t like.

Do you not understand why or how streaks occur? Tilting and other forms of lack of self-awareness (fatigue, etc.) can easily drop you to a point where the next day you are very underranked. Unintentionally Smurfing, if you will. There are other ways, lots, actually, but streaks aren’t strange. Frustrating, but normal.

I don’t have any restrictions on what you post in the thread. I’ll take whatever bumps I get. I’d suggest you label it better, as it appears that you are posting a FAQ, but the contents is hidden in the section arrow and it is addressed to me, rather than everybody.

I won’t usually respond to your posts, because I usually agree with them.

However, this is obsolete:

Any discussion of groups in Overwatch should rely on Groups and Matchmaking in Overwatch, explicitly or implicitly.

1 Like

It would be better if Blizzard communicated more clearly and completely about the system. However, all of the conspiracy theories directly contradict public Blizzard statements. See the “popular myths” section in my original post, for references. Therefore, there is no expectation that more and better communication on Blizzard’s part will convince any conspiracy theorists.

2 Likes

Win probability changes slowly with rank because there are so many random factors in each individual match. Unfortunately, it follows from this that frequent and long streaks will occur, and a player’s rank will oscillate widely. Essentially, a player will tend to bounce between the range of where he is nearly guaranteed to win and where he is nearly guaranteed to lose. The range varies from player to player, but +/- 250 SR/MMR is common and +/- 500 is possible. This problem can be analyzed in depth, mathematically (See Overwatch Forums).

This has nothing to do with Overwatch’s MMR. Any Elo/ladder type system will have this sort of behavior. The only thing that varies is how much the rating bounces around 50% for any particular player and game.

1 Like

SR manipulators cannot be dealt with with a ranking system. They have to be dealt with with a suspension and banning system.

You found the punishing normal player system, you gonna be banned soon

To explain how absolutely normal and common this is, I’d like to link to a tweet from Josh Menke, who used to work in matchmaking and ranking for Blizzard, though I don’t think for OW.

https://twitter.com/joshua_menke/status/1027249545107787776

It’s a picture of a sock. With very swingy “graphs” on them. (I think it’s just some random sock design.)

He makes a joke about wearing his “skill graphs” on his feet.

The experts, the guy who has a Ph.D. and has designed and worked with many of these systems for Blizzard and other companies, understands quite well that oscillations are inevitable in these systems. So well that he sees them in socks.

It’s normal. Not even normal, inevitable. There’s no known way to make it not look like that.

1 Like

Better answer, Google “This is how sad Overwatch is”

You’re welcome and have fun actually ranking up!

You have a rather tremendous amount of confidence in a rather silly theory.

Actually you are the one the tremendous amount of confidence in a rather silly and wrong theory, Kaawumba!

1 Like

Well you can’t read something and understand it at the same time so I don’t think my opinion can be less silly than your.

Yeah I totally agree with that video.

Rather than studying the system trying to figure out how to “game” it. Or find a reason to blame it for your shortcomings. Study the game get better and climb.

1 Like

I think at this point we can safely assume that there is another factor regarding sr gains when it comes to grouping, not just the win probability.

That is the individuals distance from the group/match rating.

I am farly confident, that if MMR is not dragging slowly behind SR, there is a penalty for grouping up with people lower in rank from you and further an advantage in grouping higher then you.

I detailed a thread that I know you’ve read. It details my drastic drop once the lfg system came into being. But my win rate was stable. I would group up with people lower then me and lose. My SR being higher then the group rating, I was penalized for both my wins losses at a greater rate then my team.

Furthermore, when playing and winning against people higher rank then myself, I would get higher gains and lower losses then when solo q depending on how far away from the group rating.

There is a group penalty. But the devs talked around it in their post as to encourage people to group up with the LFG. It isn’t that the matchmaker put you against tougher opponants… it is that the SR variable is manipulated depending on how far away from the group/match SR is.

this much is true but it’s too compensate for say diamonds who queue with golds. Only way it works out fairly.

I’ve been hearing rumors of this for a long time, but I’ve never seen quality data. Did you write down your SR and your team SR for every match?