How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 10)

so the numbers of masteroverwatch and overbuff are for your rank not all ranks. from what i see is you die to much for being in that rank bring that down and it could also mean your out of position for those death…moria is your best hero right now.once you improve youll get sr from 80 to 60 to 35 and youll rank up fast even if you lose some games which they do happen from time to time.

Masteroverwatch stats are across everybody that they track (which admittedly is only a small percentage of the total playerbase), not just players at my rank.

I “die too much for my rank”!? 2.5 K/D is pretty good, and my Moria K/D is 3.76. (which is actually too high, and it’s one of the reasons my healing number is low, which is something I’m specifically working on).

Top 50 players are in the 2.5-4 K/D ratio range, I don’t think dying too much is my problem. (well, ok, it is, but not nearly to the extent that you’re claiming it is).

I know I’m a silver-ish player, and I know most of the reasons why. I also know that I lose more points for losing than I gain for winning, and that my stats are higher than the averages for my rank, so the performance-based adjustment doesn’t account for it.

REPLY TO POST BELOW THIS ONE because apparently I’m limited to 3 replies as a “new user”. (which is amusing, because I have been using the battlenet forums on and off since Starcraft, but whatever)

Ah, ok, yeah, I see what you’re saying. The ratings are measured across everybody they record, but my stats were gained against bronze and silver players mostly.

Still, I think a lot the stats are more dependent on my ability than the people I’m playing against (or at least weighted that way, although obviously there will be an influence), so I think the assessment that on average my stats are probably higher than people my rank still seems valid.

And that was the only point. I wasn’t calling out stats to say “hey, I should be ranked higher”, just to say that they are likely to be higher than other people at my rank, so it shouldn’t be the performance-based adjustment that’s dragging me down. Honestly, I just wish they’d get rid of that entirely, across the board. It’s stupid. And not being able to even see if that’s what’s impacting you is even worse.

Maybe I’ll have to rethink a bit though. My thought process that my aim would still be my aim against a gold player, for example, could be skewed. Because that would be true, but their team would probably be better at killing me, which would reduce the amount of damage I do overall.

Another thing I do frequently though check out other people’s stats in the games I’m in that play heroes that I play and compare. And what I’ve seen generally reinforces the idea that my stats are higher than the average player at my rank.

So maybe it is the performance-based adjustment leading to the discrepancy after all, but it doesn’t seem that way, although I obviously don’t have a clear-cut way of determining or demonstrating that.

If only I could be told exactly what was affecting my SR changes…

:slight_smile:

You have given me much food for thought though.

1 Like

yes top 500 are 2.5-4 k/d in that rank if they were at low ranks ill be like 10 to 15 k/d…yes yours are not that bad but if you want to get more sr and rank up you need to be up from 3.7 and more so even when you lose its only 15 to 20.see the think is your k/d is vs other at your rank if you go up in rank then your number would be less not higher so you have to show it that you can hang with the higher sr… u get me…sorry im at work and no time to reread what i write lol

2 Likes

Thanks. I checked your math, and got
With outliers:
21.88 +/- .23 on a win
-23.18 +/- .24 on a loss
Outliers (change of less than 16 or more than 39) removed:
22.38 +/- .19
-23.10 +/- .17
Which basically agrees with your result, though more precise.

I also charted your SR over time:

This indicates that the main thing that is holding your back is not the performance modifier (which is indeed minor as it only costs you about 1/3rd of an SR per game), or other mysterious factors in the algorithm, but the fact that you can’t seem to win a game when your SR is approaching 1900.

Though there is some evidence that you improved, as you were capped at 1700 earlier in the season. This is how you rank up: improved play combined with enough games to overcome random factors and any SR asymmetries / bugs / etc.

You have no evidence to support that claim. But if you believe it, why not try it? Maining Zenyatta is how I got out of bronze/silver. Just to warn you, though, if you drop a plat player in silver (even a support main) they will generally win 75%+ of their games until they are well into gold.

2 Likes

i know what you mean …but if you can record your games people on this forms can help you out or even you will see what you can do better next time and improve also at the same time.i have friend in all ranks and some are better then there rank but stuff happens or they go back to there bad habits again or they rank up and they get to were they have a hard time like they got to were there skill level is.

Thanks for all the input. I clearly had not given enough consideration to the fact that the stats I’ve been watching were being measured against the entire database, but acquired against players just as bad as I am.

As far as recording games goes…I actually started recording all of my play sessions, and am seriously considering starting a “UnScrubbed” youtube channel where I post all of my gameplay and review some of my own games on the channel. Sort of a history of somebody escaping the lower ranks and how it happened. :smiley:

Also, the biggest thing holding me back right now is playing drunk. That steep drop from almost 1900 all the way below 1600 that I’ve been slowly recovering from?

Yeah, that was all in one night where I didn’t think I was nearly as drunk as I was. The next day I decided to really stop doing that. Hahahaha

2 Likes

dude, you’re my hero

1 Like

I was so excited to see that someone was right about something on these forums that I forgot to read the subsequent posts…

Not realizing that your stats are meaningful only against players of your own skill level is a common error.

Good discussion! It’s always good to have more data to look at.

Been there brother…check out this post…
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/pc-na-2350-and-below-bronzers-ow-team/84806

I’m going to buy an alt so I can play tired. I still won’t play drunk, but I don’t want to tank my SR just because I had a long day.

In hindsight, that should have been way more obvious to me.

Because duh. Lol

Now I kinda wish the stat sites did actually give you a rating compared to people around your own skill level, rather than a global comparison. :smiley:

Still though, way the best would be to get actual feedback about why you gained or lost the amount that you did. It’s always bothered me that Blizzard believes in hidden MMRs. :confused:

If interpreted correctly, I find Oversumo to be quite good simply because of that. They used to have a weird ranking system that told people in silver that they were GM, but now it just suggests that you could make next rank of you keep up your well above average stats as compared to that rank. They also focus on specific stats and explain why. It’s a phone app but I don’t know if it’s on all platforms. I’m android.

I looked at Oversumo at one point (it is mobile only, but that’s not an issue for pretty much anybody these days), but it measures stats per life, which doesn’t seem particularly useful as a basis for comparison.

Oh well. Obviously what I really need to do is stop worrying about stats and hidden SR modifiers (which will always piss me off, but that goes all the way back, because Blizzard apparently isn’t capable of making a ranking system that wouldn’t be gameable if you knew the details of it…), and actually start reviewing some of these games that I’m recording. :smiley:

If you would really like to estimate your SR from your stats (by hero), http://www.c0derwatch.com/ does a decent job (+/- 300 SR), as well as give automated recommendations on what you can work on. Though there is no substitute for VoD reviews to get a expert’s opinion on what you can work on.

1 Like

Can you tell me more about this site? Seems super cool, but I’d love more information

This is the about me section from the site:

HOW YOUR REPORT IS GENERATED
Based on your in-game stats (eliminations, deaths, healing for example) tries to guess your current competitive Skill Rating (SR). After that, it includes a report of what it thinks each of your hero’s SR’s would change if you played that character MUCH more often, but still flexed to the other heroes on your list. To generate advice, in short, without giving away secret sauce, the neural network not only compared how you are relative to people your rank, it also is able to figure out whether or not a stat is important SPECIFICALLY for you. For instance, suppose you have high eliminations but low hero damage. In the advice section, anything based on “eliminations” would have a very small effect.
OASIS TECHNOLOGY
I’m using deep learning! I am a PhD student working on these sorts of things, so some of the techniques here are entirely unique to this project. I’d like to publish a paper on it some day!
ABOUT THE CRAZY PROGRAMMER
David, aka theC0der, is an avid Overwatch player (it most certainly contributed to his tendonitis) and PhD student with a concentration in artificial intelligence. His love for programming emerged in high school (thanks Mr. Williams) and hasn’t stopped growing since. Seriously. His girlfriend is constantly trying to get him to go outside away from his computer for like 10 minutes. She’s lucky if she can get him to eat something.

David is very serious about providing the best information possible to people and if you think for one second he’s just in it for the money, you’re an idiot. BTW his gf is writing all of this. She loves him a lot and wants you to know that you’re getting all his figurative blood, literal sweat and happy tears when you use his website/app. And he wants nothing back from you except for you to be able to use the tools to improve your game! Ok, well you could be a Patreon supporter, if you want, but no pressure! ; )

http://www.c0derwatch.com/about.php

1 Like

Hello everyone . I would like to add a little discussion to this topic . Decided to pick this one , only because it’s more people reading stuff here then in other ones .
I play OW for a pretty big amount of time on ps4 and pc . For the last 3-4 season sitting still on diamond-masters . I like the game and enjoy competitive OW a lot . But I would like to admit that season 10 is a disgusting season . New character, which just got to competitive is being a complete cancer . To be honest I would prefer dealing with Sym one trick players then with people playing Bridgette in competitive OW , not because the character is bad , but because it’s too good . I main tanks for the last 3 seasons and I love it and now only thing I see is bunch of buffs on characters which do not even need it . Hanzo became to OP when you hand it to the high (diamond-GM) skill players . The new ability allows him build his ult for an extremely small amount of time and the character itself does not require as much skill as it used to before . Now you can just keep spamming arrows and eventually just start ulting over and over . Reaper got a descent buff as well . Poor zen got nerfed and after the big buff sombra recived he becomes almost useless vs 90% of enemy dps and also supports since moira and Bridgette are made to destroy the guy . There is no tank which actually got a buff which will increase his ability to survive . Poor Winston became absolutely useless vs a lot of characters he was made to kill . And he hasn’t got even one buff . This game already has an issue of a huge amount of people being dps mains . It doesn’t mean anything bad but tanks must be played and blizzard is making it harder to do with every Update. It’s is just sad . I don’t want to sound like those people who are saying ( I’m trying so hard to climb but I can’t because blah blah blah ) . I can and do climb together with a skill level of mine and of people I’m playing with , but it doesn’t mean that I like what’s going on and what this whole season has become .
I’m hoping there are people here that will agree with me and that will have smth to add . Thank you and have a great day champions !

2 Likes

What Sheevah quoted.

Also, a bit about neural networks. Very simply they can be thought of as a computational black box into which you shove all the teaching data, and then out pops models which can be used to classify new data.

The developer of this tool hasn’t open sourced it, or described what it is doing in more detail, but these algorithms tend to be very black boxy.

However, neural networks have been able to solve problems that were previously intractable (by computers), such as differentiating pictures of cats from pictures of dogs.

1 Like

And that, folks, is how the first AI became obsessed with cat memes.

You heard it here first.

Excellent work. Thank you for the hard work. Very valuable information

1 Like

Any reason my Battletag would be coming up with no results?