How Competitive Matchmaking and Rating Works (Season 20)

How do they make teams? Just randomly toss people together and hope the 4 best players are not on the same team?

There is no throwers queue.

2 Likes

Hey, i see you are data guy. Maybe this would interest you:

Sure, no problem. Thanks for taking a look! My theory is because I’m an outlier in these games, the matchmaker uses the gap as a modifier on my PBSR, basically saying I’m not supposed to climb playing games below my rank even if my stats are okay. It makes sense in a way, but feels somehow counter intuitive.

The old forums have been wiped, so unfortunately, all of the links in References that were us.battle.net are now gone.

Blizzard has been pretty vague about how teams are assembled, but the comments that they’ve made, and my own independent research indicate that it is pretty complicated.

They don’t just pull people from an MMR range and randomly make a match. They have indicated that they test each match for predicted win probability before starting it. They prefer a 50% predicted win probability, but will accept (in difficult cases) anywhere between 40% and 60%. See Groups and Matchmaking in Overwatch

Where did this account come from?

A PBSR modification would be plausible: basically if you are playing below your rank, you are punished if you don’t carry super hard. However, it cannot be the exclusive answer, because I saw a similar (though small) effect in 3000+ solo queuing, where PBSR does not exist.

Sigh. Well, Blizzard warned that this day would come (and they ignored my protests), so I kept copies off all the MMR/SR/matchmaking blue posts from the original forums. I’ll repost them when I have some time.

You may use semantic but call it what you like, there are queues for ranking down and up forcibly. I have personally taken 4+ accounts to masters easily from scratch, yet the account that I post onto the forum with and say negative thing about Blizz is the one which I cannot rank up to the same tier. It is a disgrace, unfair, dishonest, and karma will continue to haunt those who have created it until it is done right.

The root of it all is that players don’t know all the ins and outs of the ranking system in Overwatch.

No player does. Not one.

The only people that do, are the OW Devs.

So without those unknown parts of the game? Who’s to say what. It’s essentially all conjecture because not one person knows the full story.

Add in the ‘talking points’ that Activision can impliment via patents they have?

I’m surprised anyone says word 1 about how mmr/sr works in this game. It’s a waste of time to do so.

Somehow cars still get me where I need to go without me understanding everything going on in them. Somehow commercial airplanes take me places even though I don’t have a commercial pilot’s license. Somehow I get electricity delivered to my house without me understanding every component.

Somehow, people are able to consistently do unranked -> GM runs.

You don’t need to know how something works to recognize that it does indeed work, and fairly consistently. Overwatch Curios is a great channel to check out on YouTube if you think (for instance) that there’s no difference between Gold and Diamond.

It’s also not my property. It’s Blizzard’s. If they don’t want to share and you don’t like it, don’t play their games.

And yet the specifications to both of your weak analogies are within arms reach. I can have a complete diagnostic of a 1968 Ford Mustang up and ready to pour over every inch, but you cannot explain the full ins and outs of mmr/Sr because no one knows.

So don’t tell me because an infinitesimally small amount of people bounce around to whatever rank they want on a whim, that everything is hunky-dory.

You’ll never change my mind, I’ll never change yours. Accept that, and move on to the next thread.

I don’t need to pore over the internals of the matchmaker because of all the awesome people who do unranked to GM/Top 500 runs. It works; if you can’t climb, you need to get good.

It works, if you can’t climb you need to get good.

Being called out on a bad analogy by logic, you failed to address the core concept. You think pun/ctua.tion; a missd letter, or misuse of an homonym somehow designate a failure of argument. Even when almost every time you do I see bizarre unnecessary mistakes in your own writing in the very same post.

You seriously are equating not being able to find something out with being able to find something out. Sounds great.

No, I’m saying that if you’re going to claim that the system is rigged in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary then you’d better be packing some equally extraordinary evidence.

I’m certain that you will get some likes from the “the system is rigged against me in particular” crowd, though, so… white knight win? :+1:

1 Like

Did you claim that? Let’s look:

Can’t see the word rigged in there. All I see is that you claim not understanding many things. All of which you could easily research.

Maybe you referred to rigging in your next post:

Nope, not there either.

Are you misremembering something here?

I think you’re confused. I’m not the one claiming that the system is rigged.

Surely you jest? You are doing some amazing rewriting your words now. When did I claim you claimed the system was rigged?

You must have made some claim about rigging in your post for it to have any relevance to not being about how rigging doesn’t happen. You didn’t though. Want to try again?

So is comp system rigged? Yes or no?

1 Like

Sorry, I really want to get on board with your random white-knighting, but I have no idea where you’re trying to go with this. Can you maybe state some kind of opinion that isn’t presented in snarky rhetorical question style?

1 Like

Nope, I checked with Jeff and he showed me the source scripture, definitely not rigged. Still. :rofl:

1 Like

Sorry, I’m too scared if I do I might get my spelling corrected since that is such an important matter you must correct.

Base line:

1. You made a false equivalence that MMR and MM is similar to how a car works, since you don’t need to know how a car works to drive it.
  2. When called out on this you resorted to correcting the smallest of possible word mistakes.
  3. When called out on that you persist that your argument is about rigging, not about whether you know the MMR and MM systems or not - which was the premise of your post with the bad analogy.

My position is that you are not nearly as smart as you would like to believe. I like to make sure you are shown up when you behave like that - seriously you had to think it necessary to correct pour vs pore and that it made you look smart? It made you look the opposite.

1 Like