How Competitive Matchmaking and Ranking Works (Season 28+)

What I meant is you’re ignoring what I said and referencing something else.

So to be fair, I’m politely declining your suggestion as it has nothing to do with what I said.

Granted. There may be useful information in the article yet. It does not have anything to do with what I pointed out. It’s like pointing to the value of a newsstand while instead pointing out an issue with an article from that newsstand.

So now its not full number but there is. 5? How do you know that? It can easily be 0.05. My point i was trying to make is that you guys are making it up how you would like to have it to support your ideas how system works. But it doesnt match my experience so i dont believe it MMR has this range of 700 or 350. Its not how it is, in one of the devs post it was also said that your MMR is changing after every match so it is not just - 3 to 3 or even .5. Its way less.

Notches arent big chunks of SR to go under same MMR. There arent notches at all. Its just different scale where it is not just +3 which match 4300-5000 or 4700-5000. It is +3.00000… Which match 5000.

1 Like

MMR can easily be stated as a # Number of the SR you “should” be, and does everything it can to ensure your actual SR is as close to this number as possible.

Including skewing your games to make sure you don’t fall too much, or climb too far.

No, it’s pointing to a well written piece of information that has the exact answers about the topic you’re trying to discuss, complete with references to blue posts.

MMR works very similarly to SR. There are some minor differences that make it feel worse though, when you just watch that number. For example, it’s possible to win a match and not gain any MMR. We make it so that if you win a match, you always gain SR – even if it’s just a little bit – to feel psychologically rewarding. But MMR’s entire goal is creating fair matches – which isn’t always fun to look at and certainly not “rewarding” for players looking for pats on the back or a sense of progression. So SR “chases” your MMR very closely, except in a rare case of severe SR decay at GM/Masters/Diamond level of play.

The above is from Legacy Forum Posts - #11 by Kaawumba-1133

When you read the guide, you’ll realize that this is an incorrect interpretation of how it works.

This is also not quite right. MMR has both an “SR like” component and a certainty component.

It’s all in the guide. Whether MMR’s SR like component has integers or floating point representation is not important or significant.

The point is that Matchmaking only uses MMR, and does not use SR for creating matches. It tries to find two teams of 6 whose MMR average is as close to each other as possible. It does nothing about trying to make your SR move in any direction.

Once again, all in the guide.

OK, I’ll quote it for you…

2 Likes

Regardless if you represent it as a solid SR value (say 2500) or if it’s a relative value (say +50 SR) it’s still indicative of the respective intended change.

You do not, however, define what a “certainty” component is.

This is precisely the issue people have with the system.

The author so innocently glosses over it.

I believe that alludes to the original issue. That is indeed how it works, and it’s precisely why people are fed up with it.

You don’t see the problem.

The certainty component, as hereby referenced by you, is what’s skewing games. You gloss over it and call it ‘fair’ without taking into account how that eliminates the need for player skill, and replaces it with a rough estimate of chance.

2 Likes

By “consistently” he’s talking about every week or every day, not do you play “well” every game.

There’s nothing here nefarious. It’s standard statistics. The more data they have about your performance, the more certain they are that your MMR is correct, and it will adjust accordingly.

What do you think “skewing” means in terms of games? The devs have said exactly what they do to find games for you. What is wrong with using the statistically backed definition of how well they can estimate your skill to match you with 5 other teammates as evenly as possible against another team of 6? They combine people together to try to make it so that your match has as close to 50/50 odds of each team winning.

If they are uncertain of your MMR, then it will adjust more at the end of a match. As you play additional games, and play frequently, the uncertainty will be eliminated. They will have sufficient statistical data to know what your MMR should be. Every new game will be new information calculated with all of the previous statistical data to update the model that attempts to identify your skill level.

It’s fair because they’re using all the data they have from your games to define your skill level.

Furthermore, why on earth would they not do what they say? Why would they not want fair games? Why would they not want teams that are as evenly matched as they can manage? What possible motive could Blizzard have for “skewing” games? Do you really think someone is sitting there at Blizzard going “Let’s see if we can get this guy to tilt! Give him a losing streak!” No.

1 Like

On the contrary, if MMR is accurate then there should be no need to match players within 1000 SR of a match’s rating.

There is no fine tuning. And the player aspect of MMR is conflated with the team aspect. It is a good model for player performance, perhaps, but not a good model for making teams.

1 Like

1000 SR is only used to restrict groups. Matchmaking is based on MMR.

I was going to ask more questions, but I have given you more energy than you have earned. Read the guide, look up the references. Quote me in the guide something you’ve found that is the way it works, and how you’d like it to be different.

1 Like

Bronze and Gold players in a Silver game, speaks to the contrary.

Kindly.

You’re not in a position of authority. You have no place to give me homework.

State of the article what you will, and reference it freely. It is not my burden to bear.

No offense but you are probably one of those people the rigged MM is created for.
You have ZERO understanding for competitive aspects.
At the moment a HIDDEN SYSTEM choose mathematically teammates and enemies to create a match it is RIGGED.
Unrigged, natural and COMPETITIVE means that the MM throws 12 RANDOM players in one lobby around the same SR.

Its like your Dad plays chess with you and because he is way better than you he isnt allowed to use his queen. Then you win. But was it a FAIR win? Lol. No it was rigged because you are low mmr and your Daddy needed to be handicapped.

Its like your class in school gets a test but YOU are the only one getting an easy test and the rest gets a very hard one because YOU are the worst in the class and teachers know that.
Then you had the best outcome out of all tests. But was it fair? lol no it was rigged because you are the worst student and your test was handicapped.
I can give you 1000 more examples of real life or sports things if you want to explain COMPETITIVE ASPECTS for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Competitive shouldn’t be this controversial, but because it’s a multi-billion dollar company pushing a new system it has to be.

Humans have been doing sports for centuries.

1 Like

Exactly! And why? Because of casuals. I play video games since over 20 years. Im 29 now and when I started with competitive games those games had just true gamers. Now its full of hardcore casuals that have to be „protected“ from the evil evil hardcore gamers with way more experience.
My first CoD was MW1 back in 2007. i started this game almost 1 years after release and my first matches I got DESTROYED by better more experience players. but did I just rage quit and cry? NO i wanted to be as good as them or even better! they showed me how good you can be. and then I watched guides, trained my aim etc and became better then them. And today? everyone protected by SBMM and forced 50% winrate. They just get babysitted. disgusting.

Interesting take!

My first serious game was CoD4 and MW2. Hardcore mode only. Knives and tomahawks only.

After Black Ops 1 came out, things started to change. The aim mechanics weren’t as snappy, but no problem. Then the melee kills took noticeably longer. Okay, not a huge problem but that throws a huge wrench into my game. Then MW3 and BO2 came out. The gameplay felt worse, slower. Then BO3 introduced jet packs. Now we have people running on walls and ceilings, and jumping 100 feet into the air. Alright, I’ll give up knives I guess. Can’t hurt to click on heads.

The entire time I didn’t realize games were becoming more normative and casual. It didn’t require much skill to play as good as the top players in a lobby, because it was harder to mechanically play better than what was allowed.

It’s the same thing for SSBM and SSBB, and to an extent SSB4. Melee was, and in some regards still is, the best mechanical competitive brawler. Until Brawl, where everything crawled to a standstill and everything felt slow. Then SSB4 came out and was a bit snappier, but still reminiscent of the old Brawl speed.

Good old console days with a bunch of nerds around a TV. Even the bring-your-own-controller tourneys. Good stuff.

1 Like

Except none of what you said is true.

It’s all in the guide, including clear answers to all your misconceptions. How Competitive Matchmaking and Ranking Works (Season 28+)

Doesn’t exist. Please read the guide. It answers your concerns and provides posts that developers explained things in.

Blizzard hasn’t given an exact conversion between SR and MMR. Zero MMR is approximately 2350 SR (which is where new players start out, Initial Competitive Skill Rating, Decrypted)

We can approximate that 1 MMR is about 833 SR (5000/6), but we don’t know exactly.

There is also tweaking at the edges to prevent people from getting maximum or minimum SR. SR just isn’t displayed below 500. And as you get close to 5000, there is an SR debuff, that is unlikely to effect MMR:

3 Likes

I saw it in a post, that std dev was .5.

Okay dude. Have fun in your dream world.
You simply dont know what competitive and rigging means xD

OK, thank you for the well wishes. I’ve had success in using the information in this Guide to climb from around 700 SR to 2100 SR. The guide has correct information in it. It has been correct for years, but people continue to spread conspiracy theories and dishonesty about the supposed nefarious intentions of “the matchmaker”.

5 Likes

I am playing since day 1 on at least 20 different accounts. Im 4508 peak on console and low gm peak on pc. I have SIX THOUSAND hours in this game. And you are trying to tell me about your amazing bronze to gold climb? Lost.
But rankshaming aside:
What I like the most about this missinformation post is the headline.
„How the matchmaking works“

Matchmaking is based on HIDDEN mmr. Intransparent. Hidden. A hidden „rank“ besides your SR.
Its really cool if someone is trying to explain it and follow up with „oh the system is actually a secret“
Sure we have a normal ladder based SR system… but but… we have to use hidden mmr for the teambuildings as well.
Yeah. And santa claus is my dad.
Im new to this braindead forum but my experience with this game is another dimension than yours my friend.
Btw: if you dont believe me about the matchmaking. You could ask a ex pro player? Maybe you believe Surefour. Just go on twitch and ask him HOW THE MM WORKS.
Your answer will maybe shock you :smiley:
SPOILER: he said many times the MM is rigged and ALL players are mathematically chosen to force 50% winrates.
ohh hell I wonder why ive seen in my 6 K hours THOUSANDS of career profiles and ALL of them had about 50% winrate. The bad AND the good players I played with.
Have fun with your dumpster climb.

1 Like