How Competitive Matchmaking and Ranking Works in Overwatch 2

Any idea on when this system will be released? Currently matchmaking is punishing players with higher ssr and giving us players with incredibly low ssr who are in the same rank to balance matches, all it does it ruin matchmaking for both players involved. We want balance in matchmaking not a punishment.

This is false and was spawned entirely from a poorly worded and explained post of one of the devs that does programming and doesn’t talk to people much. For someone who has never decayed, there never was any difference between SR and “mmr”. It was always the same value solely used for matchmaking and games where nobody was decayed to any degree were within less than 50SR average for both teams. Had mmr been used instead, average SR for both teams would vary wildly, yet it never did.

The assumption that there was anything other than SR used for matchmaking stems from that confusing dev post and the fact that due to decay there would be people with much lower SR put in games that were the exact SR they were at before.

Reading both your posts I think you are not connecting the dots.

MMR pulled SR up or down and did move more freely. Not just decay, but leaving a game as an example or new season with soft resets. WIth that, a high mmr player with a lower than expected SR would match up against other equal SR players. This can lead to games that feel a bit off since MMR could be different.

Your statement of, “Had mmr been used instead, average SR for both teams would vary wildly, yet never did”. That’s true since it used SR to compare the teams. But if SR doesn’t directly match a players skill, it doesn’t mean the two teams are equal, though over a long enough period, it would (giving time for MMR and SR to match). However, you can’t confirm MMR wasn’t off wildly because it’s not shown.

At the end of the day, we can’t know if MMR is more accurate to a players skill or SR. We do know in OW2 they want SR (your rank) to be artifically lower than your true rank to give a player a “feeling” of improving.

Pretty sure leaving was a straight loss of 50sr/mmr, it was different from fake visual decay.

It didn’t use SR to “compare” anything. It used SR to match people and make teams of equal SR fight each other. That’s it. Nothing else besides that makes any sense. There was no magical mystery algorithm that would make teams have equal SR by matching them solely based on sr (otherwise teams wouldn’t have equal SR) then somehow some people were actually more or less skilled their sr because there is some other fictional metric that wouldn’t get used anyway as that would cause uneven SR between teams…
Idk how else to explain it, but there was never any evidence anything except for SR was used to make teams and put teams against each other. Ever. It all goes back to the confusing dev post about decay.

No we don’t, thats a speculation and that would accomplish nothing, if everyone is “lower” all games would play out the same and eventually everyone would get to their true rank anyway.

Thanks for the link and the compliment. The link confirms what I believed, that SR still exists, but is hidden. My model is that the rank icons are wrapped around hidden SR which is wrapped around hidden MMR, and that hidden MMR is the only thing that matters for matchmaking. Unfortunately, the file doesn’t seem to show hidden MMR (at least, I couldn’t find it).

Probably. However, there are instances of undocumented changes being made, and these accumulate until old posts become useless. I also can’t really prove much without fairly hard numbers. So if I was to make a new post, it would be either full of speculation or just a summary of the most current information we have from the developers. Either would probably have some value. But as Blizzard keeps making my volunteer job harder, I don’t have a lot of motivation to continue.

The downside is that all of your Blizzard accounts would be completely gone. This “delete my data” is a legal requirement, not a feature that active players would want to use.

2 Likes

I don’t think it ever existed at all, it was a modifier applied to visual SR displayed on profile only in case of decay. If you only consider undecayed SR as the sole factor for matchmaking it would work just like it did before without the need for any hidden mmr. Having both teams be very closely matched in average SR most games confirms that (when there were no decayed players), as well as blizzard not having any hidden mmr tied to anyones account at all. If it existed they’d be obligated to have it be somewhere in that data. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Oh I see, thanks for the info.

So then you are contradicting that quote then. Either MMR was used or SR was used. A high MMR game would bring in other high MMR people, while being similar in SR for team average. MMR slingshots SR / amplifies it the bigger the gap is. That is why a top 500 after decay, even when losing, doesn’t just derank. That is why Telsa’s test in OW2 when he had a higher loss rating, didn’t derank him, but actually increased his rank.

I’ve never seen proof of this. And I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if SR or MMR moved faster.

The game doesn’t try to push you to a particular rank by manipulating your teammates. This would be horrific design, and is obvious as horrific design to the most casual designer. If the games thinks you are rank X, it will match you at rank X. No need for manipulation. Poor match quality, with people that obviously don’t belong at that rank, occurs because it is a hard problem and Blizzard hasn’t solved it.

And, as a reminder, MMR is the only thing that matters: Seagull & Jeff Kaplan: NEW Hero Confirmed! - YouTube

2 Likes

Read up on the ‘features’ of Engagement Optimised Match Making and see if you recognise any of those features.