How Competitive Matchmaking and Ranking Works in Overwatch 2

“We want to teach new players and help them on their journey but we aren’t going to tell anyone the rules or why certain stats are more important to your rank.”

5 Likes

Players rightfully want to understand the system so they can do what works, and avoid drawbacks and misconceptions. Bliz wants them to focus less on (literally) what matters, which is terribly ironic, imo. Why did I only gain 5 SR after losing 20? “Don’t pay attention to that, just play. Buy some skins.”

If I knew for a fact that objective kills and low deaths were paramount to PBSR, I certainly would play differently. If Bliz doesn’t want players to play that way, then why would they emphasize those stats in the matchmaker? It makes no logical sense.

The worst part about this, is that some players DO know how it works and can use that advantage. They have inside information and can share that with their buddies, while everyone else flounders around looking for answers. Does that sound fair and inviting?

1 Like

That bug where you gain < 5 SR from a win after leaving the previous abandoned game has been around for literal years. It doesn’t inspire confidence that they’ll get the invisible details right.

2 Likes

The matchmaking needs to be based off Role Based MMR in Competitive Role Queue and not pitting players against each other just because they have similar MMR values regardless of roles. Role Based MMR should be fundamental to matchmaking unless you’re talking about Open Queue, which I think, the aggregate MMR value of the Player is appropriate.

The distribution of value between each role is so fundamentally different that, in my opinion, it is no longer justifiable to say X-MMRValue-Support = Y-MMRValue-Tank, or any combination of that matter, is a fair match.

It is not and there are 36 seasons of this matchmaking that proves it.

If we saw the matchmaking putting a primary emphasis on pitting player versus player off of Role-Based MMR as opposed to similar-numeric-value MMR regardless of Role, which has happened these last 6 years, I think the matches would be much more fair and fun to play.

I would imagine the Player base is large enough to accommodate this?

Matchmaking in this way would definitely clean up the Player’s MMR and also the aggregate Skill Rating of the Player.

T-minus 3-days until I put Arrow into Face

LFG

;0)

1 Like

Hey bro feel free to join the discord and we can set up the 1v1 as well as have a chat from time to time!

2 Likes

How Competitive Matchmaking and Ranking Works in Overwatch 2?

A: Very bad!

I think the system is like another games out there now days… it is 100% designed to keep you in the game, so rigged and boring… It’s all hidden cause its NOT fair n straight to the point…

Feels like Valorant matchmaking, only CRAP matches where one team just destroy the other, and in the next match is your turn to destroy the other team… some times 2 or 3 in a row… ITS BORING

If you really trying and give 200%, next, you will be placed in a game you will be crushed like a potato some times in a row…

If you play like a potato, next game, izi game…

I’ve played many matches… 30+ only few was really fair and fun…
95% was just too izi, or cant walk…

1 Like

what type of game is this?

honestly was hoping they actually let us learn with vizor or gg. those were amazing!

I’ve never really understood how or why the ranking system grades the way that it does… I feel like it doesn’t reward or even acknowledge individual contribution or skill. If I am getting a good KD and good objective time but because of my team mates who aren’t on point or are running in one at a time… why do I lose points when I out performed my team and even out performed others on the winning team? In a game like overwatch victory is directly tied to your entire team. And if you have even 1 person completely not pulling their weight it can cause everyone to lose.

Is it not possible to have an algorithm that could actually raise your rank by a couple points rather than lose points if you lose? Especially if you have great KD and most importantly good objective time and effective at your roll (so damage blocked for tanks, kills and effectiveness of ult for DMG and healing done and overall deaths of the entire squad for support)

I know we don’t wanna be out here losing 30 games and you still progress from plat to diamond but there gotta be a better way to actually grade the individual within a collective team. Especially if that individual is not in a party and is literally solo queueing.

Am I way off base here or what? Because from my experience in OW1 it doesn’t matter if I was on fire 80% of the match with 8-10k heals and a great KD with POTG I would still lose lots of points if our team lost.

1 Like

Unironically funniest post I’ve seen on Overwatch forums.

100% accurate, but not surprising. Positive affirmation over integrity has been the Overwatch design philosophy from the start, it’s literally why Ultimates as a mechanic exist, to make you feel like a cool play-making gamer regardless of your ability.

Yeah basically, the only people who don’t want transparency are people trying to unfairly game the system. But most people will get a lot less frustrated with being stuck in a rank if they knew exactly what barrier they need to overcome to rank higher.

I’ve actually heard that in OW 2 performance stats have a bigger impact than they used to, and even heard accounts of people ranking up with a negative win/loss ratio. So they are doing performance based rankings, you must just not be performing in the correct way, which isn’t your fault. The game should do a better job teaching people what they need to do to rank up.

The trick is it’s actually really hard to determine a good player from a bad player with stats and algorithms, especially for tanks who rely so much on positioning and pace-setting, skills that have no stat. This is because it’s an objective based game and not every kill is valuable like it would be in a TDM game.

3 Likes

Competitive was quick play with stickers for ages anyway.
No more rank shaming.

2 Likes

I’ve gone from bronze to gold with a negative win rate. I’ve only played the support role but this is my take on it so far.

• SR is lowered significantly. Probably to weed out boosted players and more accurately place returning players.
  • SR is awarded based on the average performance over 7-20 matches. The odd bad match doesn’t really make much difference, nor does win rate.
  • I’m fairly certain MMR is still group MMR rather than role based. This is probably to reduce queue times.
  • Rank decays at the start of each new season. It states this in game under the more information tab on the competitive screen.

Personally I think it’s a better system. It gets players to their correct rank based on skill, where they will hopefully find better quality matches. That’s really the only job the matchmaker has and the faster and more accurately it can do that the better.

I can’t explain the players who say they’re stuck in B500 steamrolling the enemy with good stats and win rate. Other than the stats the game uses to measure your average skill aren’t the stats that are displayed on the scoreboard.

2 Likes

I assume you mean bronze 5? I’m pretty sure there is a bug that is causing some accounts to be stuck in bronze 5, regardless of stats or record.

That actually is how it works (and it’s bad) except you shouldn’t focus on KD ratio because Overwatch doesn’t care too much about it. If you do one hit point of damage you get credit for a kill so having a good k/d ratio is WAY too easy. What’s more important from an Overwatch perspective is that you get high damage output compared to other people while not feeding a lot of damage output. There’s more to it but this is what’s more important.

Agree.

How can blizz have serious competitive ranked game but not explain how to progress in rank?

Anecdotally, I was 2680 player in OW1 and placed Silver 1 with with record of like 7-9 or so (sub 50% win rate). After next few games ran update to Gold 4 with 7-6 record. Jump of divisional tier with only net 1 win should not be possible if SR exists but is just hidden, unless they are applying a modifier to win/loss SR to fast track you to previous rank based on your hidden MMR. As a note, in these games I was asking about peoples OW1 SR and none of them were OW1 silver. Mostly gold/plat/diamond. So I would hypothesize that hidden MMR is used to make matches and not new division ranking.

It also doesn’t make sense that player can have net 20+ wins and not move up a tier if tier is only supposed to be 100-300 SR range. If everyone placed 1k SR lower and bronze 5 is 0-1100 MMR as some people speculated then actual OW1 hardstuck bronze player is probably going to be bronze 5 hardstuck still or at least probably hundred+ games deficit (as no hypothetical boost to chase OW1 MMR) to rank up and just going to be very frustrated about having no target to chase and no progress indicator.

Game isn’t really competitive and rank isn’t really meaningful or satisfying until blizz lets us know the promotion conditions. I don’t understand how they thought this totally opaque system would be remotely satisfying to play in.

2 Likes

It’s more likely that they’re just extremely deep in B5 and it’ll take a bit to get out.

You’re right. Competitive was always supposed to be the harsher game mode. Players that jump into comp should feel like they could lose something every game or win big if they pull it off and the reward for hard work will feel sweeter than the pain because of how hard it was. This new system feels like a series of participation trophies leading up to bigger participation trophies that you will almost certainly receive.

There is no risk in that. And likewise there is no reward.

Iirc original concept of comp was only for premade teams of six. And maybe that should be revisited again since it’s now easier to form teams of 5 (maybe even with a substitute in game allowed) as a lot of frustration in comp is also due to the randomness of team mates and trying to rally a team together on the fly.

If it ultimately turns out that the system for ranking up and down is based on some individual stats, it will be interesting to see how standard comp games turn out teamwork wise.

I’m curious how the new ranking system is calculated. Seems like an unknown when you are trying to climb the ranks.

I’m not a good player, usually place in Silver which is fine. This time around I placed in Bronze 5. Okay. I have a win rate of 80% so far, and a 21 game winning streak, and I still rank in Bronze 5.

It would be great to clarity on how to move up, or for the game to give clarity on to what mechanics to work on that are being judged in the back end. Right now you’re given no confidence that you’re improving in anyway as there is no feedback, even when you are winning consecutively. If SR was still in place, I would have moved up significantly after a 21 game win streak.

2 Likes

Yeah and in that case our hidden MMR in quickplay is likely more accurate to skill if you play mostly quickplay. The MMR is the problem.