How Can You Tell if Your Opponents Are A Smurf?

Generally very low level players (like sub 50) that are in a group of people with levels above 500 that are somehow better than their teammates.

1 Like

Level sub 40 carrying the game with no comms.

Or this season suddenly 2 or 3 ranks lower than last doing the same

1 Like

Lvl 25 battletag Widoworthrow (this is an example though I’m sure there’s some player out there with this exact name) in Silver rank, have them on my team and they’re afk in spawn. Have them on enemy team and they’re dinking every head shot and always in the best positions, suddenly.

2 Likes

A player with low level, but with game sense way beyond it. It’s usually very visible, when said player is constantly gaining value or even is carrying the team.

1 Like

A good game on any level is where the teams are equally matched and it’s hard for either team to win.

Add a smurf and you will constantly have Team Kill after Team Kill by that one same character and there’s nothing they can really do about it. It’s not about borders or level, it’s about that person having no earthly business being in the tier he’s artificially put himself in.

Other signs are total control of the battlefield and trolling about it, like nobody being allowed to take objective or the objective being taken millimeter by millimeter and then allowed to fall back .

1 Like

It’s pretty easy. When someone’s inputs look too deliberate for their level.

The real question is why you should care.

1 Like

After one of these, Mother Theresa would be homicidal, that’s why.

1 Like

You’re in Bronze/Silver/Gold

The enemy Widow does a 360-mid-air-quickish-scope-double-kill

That’s probably a smurf

1 Like

My way:
Usually low levels. If not:
Playing one hero 30-40% of the times (genji/hanzo/widow pocketed by mercy (who’s getting boosted)). While they’ll have 70+% winrate on said hero, will have <30% winrate on other heroes.

The best giveaway: elm/10 minutes will be more than 25-27 (it’s 20 in the rank you belong in) with 4+ k/d.

2 Likes

I totally don’t get smurfing…

I teamed up with a low level friend of mine in quickplay and got on teams with absolute noobs and the experience was trash… because no one knows how to function as a team…

when i play alone i get teamed up with similar level players to myself and its a lot more enjoyable… I kind wonder how i got into this game playing through that trash experience hmmm… i suppose i spent a lot of time vs AI first…

I suppose regular smufs tend to not smurf the absolute lowest depths of the player base… because that is no fun… (sad because i wanna be able to play with my friend without it being such a trash experience)

1 Like

Idk. if it is not obvious, then you haven’t played the game long enough.

1 Like

Not to mention gloating. I still remember that obvious smurf Widow who was bragging how much we were “rekt by 6th level widow lmao”.

2 Likes

Usually just by their low level and knowing how they play

1 Like

Skill Disparity is hard to quantify simply by looking at someone.

Meaningless

Meaningless

I’m responding on a smurf account

I’m lying

Meaningless

Such as?

Lacking so far

Speculation

My argument is everything you’ve stated is speculation, and nothing listed means anything contextually.

If you toss someone into a pond and the person drowns, they’re human, if they float they’re a witch.

No, your argument is what I stated. “everything is 100% uncertain” some things need less hard evidence than others. It’s not an extraordinary claim that a level 25 Genji that knows exactly what he’s doing on the character teamwipes everyone repeatedly and spouts toxicity in the chat while tactical crouching, is a smurf.

The earth is round, not flat. I don’t care if you’ve never been in space, Trando. You don’t need to be in space to know that it’s round. Same concept applies here.

Hmmm

Such as:

“Hard Evidence” sounds more like people being people to me and playing the game here.

I do want to address this point one more time.

Skill disparity is hard to quantify and explain especially via communication after the fact without evidence.

I will agree to a certain extent that a lower level player with a seemingly significant grasp of game concepts does lead to some speculation of smurfage, but there are games I’m sure we’ve been involved in where for some reason the stars align and we just go beastmode as well.

I remember a point just last event with the Random Hero cycle DM where I got Widow, you know I’m a Pharah main and I suck with Widow, but I managed to get an 11 player kill streak with headshots, headshots Reith. I was called a hacker naturally even though I’m not.

Perspective is everything, some games just might be really good games, sometimes the person might just be balancing out the MMR, sometimes the person might be smurfing, but you can’t prove any of it with the criteria listed.

It is extraordinary, because it’s most likely a toxic person on an alt account who’s MMR hasn’t averaged out yet.

News flash: When you make a new account, you get placed with lower leveled/lower skilled players for a while.

Yes but it’s not a perfect sphere either Reith, and there’s usually more than what meets the eye if you choose to expand your narrow generalized perception of the facts presented. There is no Voight-Kampff Test to discern and prove with certainty that a person is a smurf, that only exists in fiction and only works with Replicants.

They normally play Tracer, and switch to Genji, Hanzo or Widow if they’re getting stomped.

1 Like

it’s lvl 18 and killed your entire 900+ levels team alone

1 Like

If he is small and blue, with a white short pants. And ask me about Gargamel.
I am pretty sure it’s a smurf by then!

1 Like

And it’s still smurfing. If you make new accounts repeatedly to ruin games until you get back to your rank, the result is the same. You’re still smurfing until then. You don’t have to necessarily de-rank. Bronze to GM challenges and de-ranking are obviously way more egregious, but a lesser evil is still an evil. Alt accounts should be made sparingly. No one should have 10+ accounts or anything like that.