How About We Don't Talk Balance In Terms of 1v1 and Lose Our Minds

Healers he outskills that allow themselves to get into 1v1 situations, sure.

Although personally I always thought he should be better at that, and less press q-to-win, but as he currently stands he’s fairly UP so he could afford to be better in general.

Thank you. Being a main of him for 2.5 years, I am SO tired of garbage tank players saying reaper is op. They act like reaper is unstoppable when in reality their team literally shoots him a little and he has to retreat.

1 Like

You have to temper that with the fact at least 50% of fights are effectively one vs one events… even if other players are nearby.

1 Like

Absolutely. Tracer / Genji wasn’t healthy either.

They fixed that by making counters in the support lineup.

The tanks need a anti reaper tank, so if their team isn’t doing the job, they can switch to someone who can.

1 Like

Quisp, I know you’re correct in a factual sense, but I just don’t think balance can be done around that mindset in terms of how the game is “supposed to be” played. For the vast majority of the time for “how the game is played” the 1 v 1 balance would be better, but then you push your game toward a standard shooter with A-symmetrical characters instead of a team based game it was designed to be.

I remember way back when the game first came out there was going to be no solo Q. The devs said they had built that game for 6 person Q only and then realized that was too restrictive to the player base. I think they were right and wrong at the same time on that. Forcing a pre-made 6 stack would make every game better, but it would also have made the game super niche and a non-starter for probably 85% of the people who currently enjoy playing it. Still, that sort of tug of war between making a game that best for 6 stacks work for solo Q is a large part of why so many balance issues exist IMO.

Its a balance between the two - group vs. 1v1. This is why I said 50%. That all being said, Moira is a little too capable of dueling up through Plat as a Support and main healer. Now, if she were to be a DPS/healer hybrid ala Zen or nominally Bap, I could see it. As it stands, she’s just too effective on all fronts. Its no coincidence to me that both Brig 1.0 and Moira, both contrived as anti-dive kits both had significant imbalances as Supports in duels… they fixed Brig (maybe a bit too much), but we still have problems with Moira.

The argument is to not make that 100% without fail. Before Reaper Buffs, I beat Reapers as Zarya ALONE. Because of my skill being better than the Reaper. This is meaningless now. All he does is just shoots. No real skill. He’s not living because he knows when to attack and defend. He’s living because of his magic healing. If Zarya got one buff. Like people are stunned if close range when the bubble is destroyed. I could beat him 1VS1 again.

Quisp, I really think a lot of the Moira issues revolve around how STRONG Fade is as an ability. It’s invulnerability and movement and an invisibility flank tool on a relatively short cooldown. Without that mobility and sustain Moria’s short range but high HPS healing wouldn’t be nearly as potent.

I think its that and the fact she has 2 simultaneous damage sources and self-heal…

1 Like

I have the notion that it may not be thier fault. Many players have played team death match, 1v1, and other non-team modes like Widow FFA.

There is no sense of playing like a team in those modes. After putting in many hours in those modes they may be “stuck” playing that way.

The team concept is lost or forgotten.

too many people come from the world of the typical fps game where its usually a level playing field and you can pretty much take care of anyone by yourself…

which is fine…but that sort of mentality doesnt work here (nor should it)

1 Like

Agreed 100%. At minimum the armor changes need to be reverted and Reaper needs his lifesteal reverted.

I believe the mind set that too many DPS have is “handle it yourself” just like you implied.

Situation: non-teamplayer mentality

Zen, “HELP! Get this Winston off of me!”
Soldier player may be thinking, “It’s to my job to protect you. If you can’t take care of yourself it’s not my problem”

Correct. The balance issue/dilemma comes down to the fact that it’s impossible to balance a game two different ways at once. You cannot simultaneously balance for the 1 v 1 and the 6 v 6 mindset. Unfortunately for Blizzard there player-base has a large contingent of people who like one or the other or both. Most players want to have their cake and eat it too. Who doesn’t, really? However, I can get play 1 v 1 anywhere. I can’t get OW level 6 v 6 interconnected team dynamics in such polished form anywhere else though.

I imagine the closer the game is balanced toward the 2-2-2 baseline more complaints will occur. Hypothetically think of a final balanced version of Overwatch.

If all the heroes are dependent on each other to effectively defend or attack; the game will feel “unplayable” to most players that have not developed a “team” sense of the game.

Example: I feel my Orisa doesn’t have enough damage to finish targets. She needs a buff right? Someone else may say that she just needs some support to be more effective. Damage boost or damage amplification is needed.

So Orisa may be indirectly stapled to Zen or Mercy. Meaning if I play in the tank role and I see a Junkrat or sniper I usually switch to Orisa to counter. The players on the teams healing role must follow suit to switch to a healer that can make Orisa more effective at her job.

You’re right, but for those who have developed or at least enjoy developing a “team” sense of the game, having that sort of balance is what makes OW so unique and engaging. It’s a difficult task to be sure.

(A task which could be solved running an arcade and “simulation” version of the game, but that would take too many resources with almost no reward for Blizzard)

However, there are players out there who get satisfaction from the switching and the multi-layer strategy it requires. I’ve had round where somebody picks Bastion, and it’s kind of an “I don’t know” moment, but then I’ll swap to Ana, one tank will go shield, and boom we are off to the races. It’s a blast seeing that work on the fly.

1 Like

Just ask the forum “What hero do you like to switch to when you have a Bastion on your team?” I imagine you will get mostly discouraging garbo flak comments on the topic.

Personally, I like to switch to Baptiste or Zen when I see Bastion when I am in the healing role. In the tank role I like to switch to Orisa to help Bastion. If in the DPS role I may switch to a medium to short range DPS…like Mei or Reaper.

Well it is the forums after all. I wouldn’t expect anything less :wink:

Baptiste is a great one too. If I’m tanking along side Bastion, and the other tank is content shielding then I enjoy going Zarya to enable the Bastion to be more mobile and also to give me easy charge. I’ve found it quite effective. I also feel Pharah as your off-DPS is pretty effective as long as your second healer can keep you topped off.

What rank do you play in?

I don’t play ranked. I must be convinced there are no cheats in the game. I have seen some “cheat” videos. Why waste my time and effort to be tea bagged by a cheater? :persevere:

I also believe that latency is everything in this game. I have about 40ms. A latency of 40ms used to be great in the day, but I believe this fast paced game requires at least 10ms or better to rule out any strange lag phenomena.

I hear ya. For me I play comp because I prefer the format to QP and the team play aspect which is at least more common. I take the ranking itself with a grain of salt these days. I’ve been almost diamond and playing all variety of characters and roles, and I’m currently in silver, but I have fun just the same. :slight_smile:

1 Like