[Hot take] The DEVs sparked & fueled the toxicity towards hard maining/OTPs

Recently Jeff said the following:

Based on this we can see that the DEVs at least perceived hard maining/one tricking to be something that the majority of the OW playerbase was doing. Based on my personal experience I don’t really agree but I also don’t have the data that the DEVs do.

However the problem with this is that there are players who have always understood and played the game the same way that Jeff expected it to be played. So the DEV team sees a lot of hard maining and one tricking and decide to change the game’s direction towards that style rather than “forcing” their idea of how it’s meant to be played. This has never really been communicated well prior to this, we have seen posts saying that one tricking isn’t a reportable offense but almost every time they have also said that it’s not really the optimal way to play.

So here’s what happens, we have people who want to play the game the way it was meant to be played, and based on what Jeff said, I really do believe that it is the correct way to play the game and people who don’t and really want to just do what they want to- this obviously leads to conflict. We have often seen players being reported for one tricking and having automatic actions taken against them despite one tricking not being a reportable offense. I don’t know if this is another thing that Jeff didn’t see coming for some really weird reason. But I think the DEVs overall have not only sparked toxicity in this regard but also fueled it.

Even if it was how the majority played at that time and the game was changed because of that, I do feel like that the community wants something different now, which is a good multiplayer experience and also a good competitive experience.
OWL has shown a lot of people how the game is actually meant to be played and now want to be able to get that same experience and have it be accessible.

If a Role Q would have been added instead it would actually help hard mains and one tricks. People shouldn’t be expected to really play more than 1 role. Being able to specialize in a couple of heroes in the same category makes a lot more sense and is the best way to improve.

1 Like

Honestly… this entire statement of Jeff there for me just should be another point for why Overwatch needs a Role-Queue system and locked Teamcomps.
The current (and first system for that matter) were created with the idea that people wouid build comps by themselves and changing heroes out of free will and knowledge… it doesn’t work with Maining and One-tricking without it having some sort of way to build a team for the mainer/one-tricker, as they don’t seem to do it by themselves.

2 Likes

I’m for Role Q but it wouldn’t stop hard maining and one tricking, if anything it would actually help them but in turn that would help the entire community. If you only want to play support then you should be able to do that, focusing on a role makes a lot of sense, tbh. it’s what people really should be doing.

i am happy they finally acknowledge that switching is an issue for a lot of ppl and just not fun in general.

So what d you prefer: being forced to play goats heroes just to succeed or play what you like to play

It wouldn’t stop people from hard maining and one tricking, that’s true… nothing likely ever will, but it controlls and might even midigate the damage these behaviours cause. You have a DPS player being able to pick DPS as his team is willing to play Supports and Tanks… they’re gonna have a lot more fun… same situation for the other roles.
Definitly better than now where the hero select screen can already make or break a match by simply having to many of one role and with that to little of the other roles.

1 Like

I’m a very competitive person and because of that I want to do everything I can (except cheating) to win so I have absolutely no problem with playing the meta. I actually enjoy playing 3-3 with people who actually try and understand that’s not just W+M1 but there is a lot of ability tracking etc. required to play it well.

Don’t you feel bad knowing that the deciding point are the meta heroes and not really your skill?

How is it not skill? You still have to play it better than the enemy team.
If I’m playing Rein, my main priority is to outplay the enemy team’s Rein. Doing that requires skill.
By that logic then counterpicking should be looked down upon as well in some sense as you can’t beat someone with just your skill on whatever you were playing.

1 Like

Yes but you can be the best widow in the world and still lose just because she is not meta

That’s just how the game is. There was a time where if you didn’t have the better Widow then it didn’t matter how good you were with any other hero.
I mean, in terms of the pro scene a hero ban & protect system would do wonders and allow people to shine on their “carry” heroes.

I agree.

But the thing is, it doesn’t have to be this way. In other games you pick a character/weapon because it fits your playstile and not because he is OP.

I agree, but OW is designed not to be like that, you can swap heroes because you are meant to look for an advantage. It’s also ridiculously teambased which for some is frustrating while others enjoy it. However for it to work, also considering how hard the game overall is because of that, the multiplayer experience has to be good. For most people dealing with teammates is unpleasant and some even decide not to participate in it by muting voice/text.