Hot take: Nobody should be fun to play against

Putting enemy perspective is bound to make heroes completely worthless. We should completely take them out of the equation unless something is blatantly OP.

Heroes should be even more unfun to play against. I would argue that making red team have fun dying is completely impossible.

We should aim to make their deaths more miserable…but much more fun for the shooter.

14 Likes

So… You’re basically saying we need mass res back?

28 Likes

“I want the game to be less fun”
Amazing thread dude

26 Likes

So… should we bring back OG Brig then?

7 Likes

I agree. To a degree there’s always something to complain about the opponents and their hero picks. For example consider the support role: Getting slept/naded by Ana is infuriating, chasing a Mercy who almost dies but never dies is infuriating, Bapo 2 shotting you with perfect headshots or lamping a kill is infuriating, getting booped off the map or having a rush comp dive you or just kite you until their cooldowns back is infuriating, getting discorded by Zen and then melting to anything is infuriating, getting stunned by Brig as soon as you get near her is infuriating, and then there’s Moira who umm… might… ummm… deal damage to the squishies which is like… okay?

Well the point is that this is why they should never consider what hero is at hand when balancing them and why the concept of continuous hero favoritism to make the game more fun has been an utter and complete failure from the devs and is the biggest reason in declining player numbers since day 1 to this day. If they had balanced all the heroes around their realistic potential in high tiered ladder gameplay as soon as the comp meta solidified itself during S1/2 of OW, the game would be a much better one and we would have tons of players more still playing the game. Weak heroes getting ignored for months, if not years, or receiving appropriate buffs and then getting decimated as soon as they saw any meta gameplay what-so-ever is the reason this game is in the state it’s in right now. That’s all on the toxic policies of the balance devs

7 Likes

Welp, if you put to much unfun interactions between heroes you just end up with unfun game tho.

2 Likes

I… don’t really understand what this post says. I’m confused. This is the most Chaotic Neutral thing I’ve read all day.

But, it might contain a few thoughts similar to what I have been saying - That the “something feeling fun to play against” demand is essentially a euphemism for “make the game frustrating for that hero’s player and fun for me.”

It’s because Overwatch is a zero-sum game. There’s no such things as enjoying losing, enjoying dying in the game. You can enjoy a game even if you lost, but that’s something that comes from a balanced, clean, exciting and fair game experience, not from you actively enjoying being killed over and over.

Sometimes you’ll get killed and it’s a frustrating feeling. Sometimes you kill the opponent and it’s a joyful feeling, you’re having fun. But when you are advocating for, say, nerfs, complaining that a hero is “unfun to play against,” that’s blatant hypocrisy. Because being killed, overpowered, overplayed, is not fun, and you’re actively asking for that feeling to be forced onto the other player, as long as you’re having your fun.

Zero-sum game. You can’t have the pure undiluted fun of steamrolling your enemies all the time. So yes, nobody should be fun to play against. They should be fair and reasonable as far as opponents go, not “fun to play against.” Fun to play against just means “easy for me to kill.”

I don’t exaclty know what OP really meant but… Yeah, here’s my take.

4 Likes

I wan the game to be fun for blue team.

At least then, somebody’s having fun. The other way makes it no fun for anyone. Cuz people are still dying, but the kills aren’t satisfying.

Chaotic Neutral.

Sounds like me. :eye::lips::eye:

Yeah I am kinda low on the caffeine end, so I guess I probably shouldn’t be making posts like these rn. XD

I meant that demanding that heroes be fun to play against is a ridiculous request. Personally, I see that as an impossiblity.

1 Like

That emoji combination is proof enough thank you. I would say “may I see some ID” but that face is like an official ID for Club Chaotic Neutral. I’m too LG even to comprehend it.

Yeah with that I can agree. Yes. My above reply is my argument.

Be careful with those! More than four cups and you’ll be able to talk to electricity, more than eight and you’ll transcend the physical plane and see gravity.

1 Like

That is just bs. I have fun playing against Genji or Lúcio/Tracer match ups because they’re amazing heroes to play against. If you have effortless heroes that feel awful to play against then their design is just bad.

Uh, no. Everyone should be fun to play against. And a vast majority of heroes are.

Winning will always be fun, we don’t need to make losing tilt my teammates even more.

Here’s the thing. The vast majority of people don’t think like this. I’m not saying it’s bad to think this way. It’s respectable. But I’ve never thought “Wow that was such a fun fight!” As I watch my hero drop dead from getting attacked. Bonus points if it’s Tracer because I hate that insect of a character especially. Most people do not find losing fun - at least what I’ve seen.

I’m totally down with making people fair and balanced, but player experience should certainly heavily favor the shooter over the opponent. The goal should be for you to have fun. Not for you to make the enemy have fun.

I, personally, see the enemies as obstacles in me having fun. Overcoming those obstacles is how I get my dopamine. I literally do not care whether they have fun as I attempt to dominate them. However, I do get frustrated when I am unable to meet those goals I have set for myself. I am not having fun when I don’t feel somewhat powerful.

1 Like

No one should be “fun” to play against, of course.
But no one should be so unfun to play against to the point where your head actually hurts and you hate playing the game.

And there are definitely a few examples of those heroes in OW. I won’t name any, though.

6 Likes

You want the game to be as frustrating as humanly possible for the receiver and satisfying for the user? Okay. Doom deletes Zen upon touching him. But dies the moment Sombra’s hack connects with him.

2 Likes

Translation: give every hero rocket Punch and fth

2 Likes

‘Fun to play against’ doesn’t mean ‘not fun to play as.’ Just saying.

I don’t want them to be fun to fight, I want them to feel fair to fight.

2 Likes

Enemy perspective should be used to determine who needs changes

Player perspective should be used to determine how they are changed (no one should be fun to play against, but everyone should be fun to play as)

1 Like

New flash, this game is my game and it was originally intended to be played my way