Hot take - McCree being the top DPS is healthy for the game

Characters which have the capability to do anything like McCree are healthy as top picks because it creates a bigger viable hero pool which you can choose from to fight against the said hero. Of course it will result in lower pickrates because the hero pool is big and players bring the heroes they either like to play at that time or the best at in that situation (Lets not use the hero popularity thing here).

Given that as a main of McCree id still like to see nerfs to him. One of them i think no one yet has brought up yet is making the Fan the Hammers fire rate slower. The combo would still function but the enemy would still have time to react against him and either escape or punish him back.

What do you think of this nerf?

NOTE: I made this topic to open a discussion. Feel free to disagree and im open to conversations if you have a different opinion.

NOTE 2: I was a McCree main before his buffs. Im open for changing my mains character in balance if they are fair and not ruining their gameplay. In fact i will make a topic about how would i change the current balance on my mains very soon.

14 Likes

I used to main him, so I am biased as heck. But for real, what dps is supposed to be healthier? People are going to cry even louder once he gets replaced by a dps with a decent winrate and a smaller hitbox, mark my words.

15 Likes

People don’t like hitscans being the most dominant role in the game

25 Likes

I too hate hitscans being dominant but i prefer heroes like McCree and Soldier being top picks instead of heroes like Tracer and Widow which enables only a very strict hero pool.

14 Likes

I agree that McCree feels fair to play against by design, but no hero who definetely feels that is better than yours is healthy. If they reverted his HP and reload buff, I still wouldn’t mind him being top DPS, because at least he’d feel fair to play against since you wouldn’t feel that a non-skillful person can get more value than you on any other character

Just look at all characters that have been meta: Genji felt oppresive on June, Ashe felt oppresive during her 15 bullets era, McCree feels oppresive nowadays…
I’d say that the only DPS that feels fair when being better than other is Tracer. She’s too well designed that even though she’s got the potential to be the best one, a bad Tracer can perfectly be the worst DPS

6 Likes

Yeah, those are the reverts I would want too.

2 Likes

I wouldnt mind that either. I’ve always thought that the problem was his big critbox instead of his HP. He havent meant to be a brawler.

2 Likes

Problem is that not only.strong picks get easily countered by him, also heroes like Sombra, Reaper, tanks in particular like Winston.

His stun and fth is imo the biggest problem, nerf the explosion radius on flashbang and the dmg on fthby like 4-5 dmg or increase the spray pattern of it.

1 Like

An explosion radius nerf wouldnt help much against a good McCree. If they know how to land it, the FtH-Roll-Fth-Melee combo would remain the same.

For the damage i don’t know. This was always the devs tried to balance around when they wanted to change on Flashfan. I would like to see how a fire rate nerf would change on him this time.

I don’t think that the problem is him being a top dps, but rather him being the top by a large margin.

9 Likes

I’d like to see a 2s CD on his FTH and something done so bang+fth isn’t a guaranteed kill on 250HP heroes.

3 Likes

That really is one of the problems. Thats why i hope for an FtH nerf.

I think that may be okay as well. Reload time is 1.2s roll time is 0.4s so it would delay Flashfan a little bit.

If every DPS was picked about equally, they’d have about a 1.96% pickrate. Now, obviously that’s never going to happen, but it gives us something to work around.

Sure, you can make an argument that heroes which are highly aim-dependent (like Tracer, Widowmaker, Genji, Echo, etc) should be more deserving of a place in the meta than others, but should they really be so effective that they’re picked more than the average by a factor of up to 250% (as is the case with McCree in GM right now with his 6.6% pickrate). That strikes me as a bit too extreme and somewhat unhealthy for the game.

Of course, that’s ignoring the fact that while McCree has a hitscan weapon, he is not as squishy a target as the average DPS, his primary-fire has no recoil or spread to speak of, he has a medium-range AOE stun for easy headshots, he has very little need for proper ammo-management thanks to his instant-reloads (as abilities + buffed reload time), his auto-aim Ultimate and his spray-and-pray secondary-fire. He’s hardly the paragon of mechanical skill some make him out to be.

8 Likes

I think it’s weird
For most unmobile heroes they’d die, for mobile heroes they’d just mash their mobility button, i don’t see the point
Since he has 225hp, i don’t see a reason to nerf flash to .7 again, MAYBE reduce FTH to 45 as well, while giving extra damage against shields for example (I know tanks are not doing their best right now but this could be good IMO, or reduce the spread slightly)

I do think mccree at the top is somewhat healthy, and personally i don’t have an issue with him, but i do understand some frustration from him being somewhat of a must pick, he shouldn’t put pressure just by existing

2 Likes

Nor do people like projectile heroes being the most dominant role either
People don’t like anything that beats them realistically

8 Likes

Have projectiles ever been the most dominant role? I can’t think of any meta without at least one hitscan. Seems like they’ve been ‘on par’, at best.

3 Likes

I believe at one point Mei was up there with Doomfist being used potentially around the time (I think this was around the time of double shield) but I can’t remember if their metas crossed over, nor are they strict projectile heroes (Doomfist is more melee I’d argue)
I think console may have had a projectile meta but I never kept up with their metas (Pharah does heaps better on console)

Hanzo and Genji are the only two projectile heroes that are ‘allowed’ to be good apparently

But yeah I feel like every meta has had Widow and Tracer in it just about, McCree meta is the only meta I’ve seen where Widow actually dropped right off and even then, she’s still used a fair amount, it’s so heavily biased around hitscan heroes admittedly

2 Likes

I’ve seen many different takes on nerfs here im glad for because in my opinion the devs need to try different takes on nerfing instead of damage and cooldown. The same is why Hogs weapon changes don’t work as much as they want to.

1 Like

It’d be interesting to test.

I’d like if roll couldn’t be used for fan the hammer straight way. So no fth, roll, fth combo. Or maybe adjust the recoil and spread of fan the hammer, so it’s a bit more lenient to tanks :man_shrugging:

Double barrier did switch up between Mei, Reaper, Hanzo and Doomfist depending on map, you’d see Junkrat on Anubis at least in the first half.

Hanzo got phased in an out overtime.

Pharah doesn’t preform better by that much of a margin, could be more of a region thing though. But going off the times I played in rank (from late season 7 onwards) there always seemed to be at least one dominate hitscan much like PC.

Even if it was to counter Pharah. There’d still be one hitscan.

2 Likes

By that logiv the most balanced dps is symmetra. No oneshots, everything can be reacted to, has a charge up and delay, great utility that has fair downtimes, no hard cc

4 Likes