High ping for no reason

my ping doesn’t dip below 50 ms even tho i max out on most game and apps and even tests at 20 ms i don’t know why and its annoying

1 Like

Servers have been awful all day, poor indie Blizz just can’t afford to maintain them I guess.

1 Like

The latency metric in Overwatch is a combined stat, it includes ping and RTT, so your ping is roughly 15ms below that value.

if you load into a server or even practice range and press CTRL + SHIFT + N you can see network stats. in the top left region, there should be some wording related to what Blizzard server you are connected to. LAX refers to USW, ORL refers to USE, etc. if you’re on the wrong server, try relaunching the game in your correct region and if the issue persists, you can try contacting support or wait for them to fix their stuff (may take weeks/months)

The training range is on deprioritized servers, so don’t use that as the example.

I have had server issues on the practice range before, hence why I brought it up as an example. I can tell they’re deprioritized as for how long they take to load into, but they can still provide an example as to what server the game is connecting you to.

But you can land on a practice range outside your normal region.

After 6 years of 30-38ms ping connecting to Chicago, I went to 170+ all day in Competitive on the CDG1=France server. I had the same issue in Season 4 playing Quick Play, the game would connect me to the quickest match available even though it was mostly LAX1. Forced me into playing Competitive exclusively because it was always Chicago. Hopefully the range has not been extended again.

1 Like

Happening to me too and happened to my friends yesterday. It makes no sense and blizzard seems to not care at all.

What’s really strange is that it randomly stopped for my last 4 games last night. Now today, I can’t get a game where my ping is <130

1 Like

How do you check which server you are connected to in-game in the middle of a match?

I was (and still do) connected to US server for six years, game was fine under 30 ms.
But, starting this season, I have been matched up, with a more regular occurence, with players with Chinese characters, which I assume is on the Asia server. Ping shot up to 170-240ms, unplayable.

Ctrl+Shift+N toggles the netgraph on/off on PC.

I live in USW but play in Korean server through vpn because all my friends are there. Before season 6 I was able to play decently with ping 140-160ms but starting this season it wouldn’t go below 225ms. Something definitely changed with the servers and latency after this new season launched. Hope they fix it or stabilize things soon…

The server details is not visible in the ctrl+shift+N, at least not in plain view

Can you elaborate where in the screen should I look at after toggling the ctrl+shift+N ?

The server code is at the front of the IP.

Imgur

My suspicions is confirmed. I am rerouted to ICN1 server, with latency 6.3ms, ping 140.0ms, and round trip time 142.3ms. I don’t know how to attach a picture, so this stats would have to suffice.

I don’t know why the matchmaking moves my server to Korea. This is not limited to quick play, competitive moves my server to ICN1 too, which makes the game a forced loss.

I would rather wait longer to get the correct server. Does matchmaking algorithm not considering player’s ping to certain server when arranging the match?

The game does use that metric, along with the mode you’re queuing for, to match you to a server. Are you closer to the Asia servers? I don’t know where you’re connecting from because I’m not a forum mod.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.