High & Inconsistent Ping (on correct server)

Ever since the patch on Tuesday my ping has been very high, but 1/10 ques it will be fine. I usually hover around 50ms, but if I open up training room it will 9/10 times be 200 to 400. I thought it was my internet, but it works for other games and speed tests have held up. I’m east coast so, I checked my server and it was the ORL one (or whatever). It wasn’t the LAX one. I’ve hid my chat because that was hinted to me to try. I’m out of ideas. I can’t just keep queing and leaving games looking for a decent ping. It’s gonna ruin my gleaming endorsement level of 3! Please help.

Thanks,
N8

1 Like

Doing that is pointless and will only punish you and the other players. This is an ongoing issue that Blizzard is tracking. Please see this thread:

so u are telling me until someone fixes it I cant play the game?

I only have access to the same information that you do because I don’t work for Blizzard. If I had to guess from the info available, it’s not your ISP and it’s also not Blizzard. Instead it seems like a routing company between the two is routing traffic incorrectly. But I don’t know who pays them or is responsible for working this out with them.

Just as a heads up, the practice range gives lower priority to finding you a server where you have low ping. It will often connect you to servers outside of your geographical region. So for example if you normally connect to the US servers for Quick Play and Competitive, if you go into Practice Range you may get connected to the Southeast Asia or Brazil servers.

If you are noticing latency issues when in Quick Play or Competitive the best thing to do is open the Network Graph (Ctrl+Shift+N), check the server name and IP address that you are connected to, and then run a WinMTR test to that server IP. Make sure to not include the port number after the :

Feel free to post WinMTR results here, or to pastebin.com and share the unique link, and we can take a look.

Jambrix, I was able to get into a Quick Play match at 100-110ms. I stayed in this match to check the server. I was set to LAX and I am east coast. I was able to get into a east coast game today, but only one. It seems like the normal matchmaker is treating every match like training for me. I’ve never really had issues with training before this patch though. Is there a way for me to manually select my server?

There is not, I’m afraid.

The matchmaker factors in a bunch of different things to find you a match. It could be that it just found you a more equally skilled match on the LAX server and didn’t prioritize ping as high. Or, there could have been an issue that caused your latency to be higher to the Central server when it went to find a match, so it put you on LAX instead. This is why I recommended running a WinMTR to see how your latency is performing to each of the servers, which would allow you to see if there is something going on between one and not the other.

I just went and did a custom game search. I searched for best excellent ping which put me is syd server. Next I did a search for poor ping and it put me in chile. I’ll run a WinMTR, but the usual comment of it’s my ISP isn’t going to make me feel better. Too many other people with different ISP’s having the same issue for me to think my ISP is the issue. Not trying to be difficult, I know Blizz is trying to fix the issue, but logic has to take over at some point.
(a few hours later)
I small update. I’ve started playing ffa since leaving ffa games doesn’t seem to matter. I’ve que for ffa and have been sent to servers in brazil, west coast, and I think aus or that is the server name. ping varies with each server but is steady. I just keep trying until I get the correct server. It’s like server RNG :wink:

And I’m connecting to NA servers but I’m from Brazil(SA servers). Before this patch, my ping was around 30 Ms, now is 150, and this high latency happens only while I’m playing OW