Hide and Rez is confusing me

single rez as an ultimate, low ult charge, no E ability

e tempo rez and valkyrie removed

that’s the only way to balance her without butchering her base kit

In the current meta it would be THE counter strat since right now there isn’t one. Nothing beats Damage Boosted Hanzo Ult + Grav right now.

I found it to be quite common in Silver/Gold/Plat back when it was a valid strat. Worse part was it was a cycle the perpetuated itself. Players encouraged Mercy players to “hide and rez” and Mercy players themselves encouraged “die on point to enemy ults” in an attempt to invalidate the enemy teams efforts to team wipe.

1 Like

Trans + Nade beats it

Exactly, he cant kill you during your ult, but he CAN before YOU ult. So its boils down to, kill X hero before they ult so I can ult. If a Genji foolishly doesnt kill Zen while knowing full well that Zen has his ult, thats on him.

Well, for Mercy to even use her ult, she HAS to literally. Does Mercy, really counter anything with Valk now? Its just more of a short powerboost that any burst damage can outdamage her heal.

Mercy had to be there, you just couldnt see here haha. Mercy wouldnt have to encourage her team to die if she had something to make her a little independant. Mercy’s mobility is heavily dependant on her team, which is why she always has to tell her team to die close to each other for her to rez.

Mercy cant heal her team if the enemies outdamage her healing. Zenyatta and Lucio are examples. They need to be alive to ult and be in the field, Mercy was after, but had she been killed earlier, which I guess most people found ‘annoying’.

And if we are talking about counterplay that the only way was to 'kill her before she ults", again LoS and cast time. A window of opportunity to stun, hack, pin and kill her. LoS would block those that arent in LoS to get rezzed, even behind barriers. Imagine a Mercy rezzing but a Mei just walls her teammates from her. Welp.

Yes. It was. I distinctly remember a few matches where I was playing Mercy and instructed my teammates to die on point to get a 4-5 person rez. However, I don’t see how this is really that different from taking cover only to pop out and headshot your opponent. Basically, I never really had a problem with this tactic like other people did.

This is how I propose we change Mercy! :smile:

Yeah, but he didn’t kill you with his ult. In that case, you misplayed by allowing yourself to get picked off. If he tries to start the ult with a kill on you, you can deny him. As for Genji not killing Zen and ulting, it’s actually a fair trade. Transcedence is stronger than Dragonblade. Trading it is a good move.

Does Mercy, really counter anything with Valk now? Its just more of a short powerboost that any burst damage can outdamage her heal.

No. But that’s the point. She isn’t meant to counter wipes. Although, Valkyrie does change how some DPS ults interact with things. For example, it means that Genji will have to double slash + dash or triple slash each squishy instead of double slashing. It also increases TTK of some other ults. Etc.

Mercy had to be there, you just couldnt see here haha. Mercy wouldnt have to encourage her team to die if she had something to make her a little independant.

LOL

No, she didn’t. GA to a corpse is a thing. And range on resurrect was enormous.

See, the first clip in this video

Notice how close she was. She was only 30 or so meters from the point and also elevated behind a wall. I am sure those people saw her as she was ducking behind the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUNH0EaanDY

Mercy’s mobility is heavily dependant on her team, which is why she always has to tell her team to die close to each other for her to rez.

No, she tells them to die on point so that she can revive them at once. Has nothing to do with her mobility.

Mercy cant heal her team if the enemies outdamage her healing.

That’s the point.

Mercy was after, but had she been killed earlier, which I guess most people found ‘annoying’.

Yes, it’s really weird to find annoying to keep a hypermobile support with a wonky hitbox, very fast self-regeneration and a fast charging ultimate 24/7

Especially when you kill her and she gets back and reverts it just as it is ending. Especially on 2CP.

And if we are talking about counterplay that the only way was to 'kill her before she ults", again LoS and cast time. A window of opportunity to stun, hack, pin and kill her.

Nope, nothing of that is counterplay. If she presses Q, she will rez. It’s literally click her head argument.

Only against Mercy damage boost. Not against Nano Boosted Dragons, or Super Charger Dragons.

Trans does 300 HP/s vanilla
Trans is doing 450 HP/s with Nade.

Dragons does 300 DP/s vanilla
390 DP/s with Mercy Boost
450 DP/s with Orisa or Nano

Even with just Mercy Boost all it takes is Rein to swing his hammer to add the damage required to overpower Trans.

They used to do that, but now, it’s gone

RIP Mercy 1.0

Trans does 300 HP/s vanilla
Trans is doing 450 HP/s with Nade.

Dragons does 300 DP/s vanilla
390 DP/s with Mercy Boost
450 DP/s with Orisa or Nano

In both cases, it completely cancels out the Dragonstrike + boost damage

In 2nd case, it also means that the enemy is using 3 ults and you’re using only 1 + a cooldown to completely deny the damage from those.

And nade will also amplify any other healing there’s there. Meaning, if Mercy valks, it will also get amped to 90 which would be sufficient to block even the rein swing. Even a Lucio amping it up would noticeably reduce the damage

Both cases just means everyone dies to Hanzo/Zarya shooting into the Grav and Rein swinging his hammer because Trans+Nade can only offset the Dragonstrike (not even the 5.5 DP/s of the Graviton surge).

They still lose.

But you’re right. To even have a chance at surviving it we require 3 supports. Zen + Ana + Not Brig. Which isn’t likely to happen.

So right now the meta is, “Which team’s Zarya can build Grav quicker than the other?”

1 Like

Yeah, but in that case, the extra damage killed you. Technically, you “countered” the Dragonstrike + boost itself

And it’s noticeably harder to actually commit extra damage since it requires noticeably more coordination than simply Zarya Q + Hanzo Q + Mercy RMB. Whole team has to be in position and coordinate. Whereas right now, Hanzo + Mercy + Zarya can 3v6 and win

At all ranks? REALLY!? I never saw it happen once. Not in silver, not in gold not in plat

1 Like

Yep, all ranks. I played gold-GM and saw it everywhere. But I mean, low ranks don’t usually die together or at the same time, so i cant imagine many low rank Mercys could hide and rez even if they wanted to

It was rarely used, soley because of the fact that people all had to die in a singular location at the same time. It took a lot of stars to align for this to happen, unless Zarya gravs, then you got a 5 res there.

People keep fantasizing up the idea that 5-man resses were an extremely common thing when in all reality, they weren’t at all.

1 Like

Well better ignore all the time I spent playing her then and take your word for it.

1 Like

Exactly. I tended to get 2-3 man rezes far, far, far more than 5 mans both because tempo rezing was useful but also if you actually learned how to stay alive and heal you could avoid needing a mass rez avoid so many times. It boggles the mind people anywhere thought it was a great idea.

Edit:
Also while sure if you’re inexperienced or just unwilling to try new things, there were many situations it looked too dangerous to heal but… for the love of [insert important thing here] learning to use terrain, team mates and movement to avoid damage while healing is something every Mercy should have been using at least above mid silver so she could both rez more and heal more. Ah well. Funny so many thought she took no skill while at the same time were not using their brain in even the tiniest way it would need to realise she did need thought to play, just not much mechanical skill

2 Likes

You just waited until the enemy burned their ults, then press a button from the other side of a wall and undo all of it with your team at full strength and still having their ultimates while the wounded enemy team has to fight the battle over from a position of disadvantage. And, the rez could be full again by the end of THAT fight.

Like screaming “I want a do-over!” like a child until you get a result you want.

Oh, of course, mass rez was fine before they started to nerf down all the “easy kills” abilities. When deaths were cheap, mass rez was balanced. Hog deletes someone easy, Mercy brings them back just as easy. When you nerf Hog from doing that, mass rez became unbalanced.

How often it was used likely depended on the mode that people played in and their skill level.

I cannot recall a single usage of it successfully occurring in a match altering manner in any of my Quick Play matches. You’d have the occasional comp player try it but, people were not generally cooperative or necessarily prepared for it to kick in.

But, it was likely more common in competitive play at least at mid levels.

The effectiveness of the strategy assuming the team all followed it would depend on if the other team used a significant number of ultimate abilities to get players down, had a comparable number of people on the point, or had taken significant damage. On 2 CP maps it’d likely be more effective on defense as the Mercy can have two chances to get the res.

Blizzard could have absolutely put more time into it and I think it a balanced point would have been possible.

Here’s what the hero usage looked like a bit over a month before the Mercy Revamp hit.

http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/07/overwatch-hero-meta-report-pc-s5-w7.html

You’ll notice that Mercy was the 3rd most selected healer in Grand Master.

The below is what the “pro” play looked like the month prior to the changes

https://www.overbuff.com/blobs/1n3Vm2kBJSz.jpg

https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-08-22-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-fists-of-fury

Mercy’s ability to dominate had an end point and a relatively clear end point which in my view suggests that it would have been something that could have been fixed

Tbh I never even thought about using this in my short time playing Mercy 1.0, I didn’t even play her all that often only did for her acheivements and when she was reworked i started playing her and now the proud owner of a golden staff and pistol.